Thread: Instructions

Instructions

I've been dreading confronting this problem for a couple of years now. And I finally to. It hard to avoid it any longer. The problem I speak of, is how to store the mountain of paper that is my Lego instructions collection. I've been keeping my instructions in a series of cardboard drawers. But for the past two year, two of those drawers have been filled. The Space drawer (which is made of Classic Space and Star Wars) and Technic are totally full. It really isn't an option to put the extra in another drawer. The problem is being exacerbated by the fact that over the past decade that Lego has been adding pages.

I was thinking about getting a set of Rubber Maid drawers (or like) and storeing the instructions in them. So I was worrying if anybody had a better or different idea on how to store Lego instructions.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

I keep them in the original boxes, then I put smaller boxes in the bigger boxes. It takes up a lot of space and is a really bad idea, I've totally run out of space now.

You could do comics-style archiving with mylar bags and cardboard backers, but that seems expensive and will take up even more space.

You could scan them all into the computer and then sell the books on ebay or trade them or something. Then you'd have all your instructions in an organized fashion at your fingertips in a small space that would never degrade - it'd be a lot of initial work but the end results would be very cool.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I keep all my instructions, unused decals, and ship sails in hanging file folders. I personally use a red plastic tote with a hinged lid that has rails on each side for the hanging folders. A small filing cabinet would be ideal as well.

I'm beginning to outgrow my tote though and I wish I had bought another one while they were on clearance. Duplicates and old catalogs end up in a shoebox in storage. I'd like to be able to store all my old catalogs (dating from the early 70's to present) this way eventually so they'll be close at hand for browsing (and pining).
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)