Hybrid View

Quick Question: Stone Temple Pilots

Album: Purple

Song: 3-way tie: Crackerman, Interstate Love Song, and Heaven & Hotrods

They've easily been my favorite band since the the first time I heard "Sex Type Thing'" way back in 91/92.
    I've always felt got an unfair rep as Pearl Jam clones early on (which I never heard any more similarities between the two than I did between any other two "Grunge" bands at the time) and later on as druggies (Scott Weiland did have tons of problems - no argument there, but it overshadowed the great music they made).
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Album: Core

Song: Where the River Goes.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Song: "Wicked Garden" (...... yeah. And thankfully, that truck commercial that used it didn't overplay it like Johnny Cougar John Melancamp John Cougar Melancamp's "Our Country" has been).
    "That's what Sheev said."

Song: toss-up between "Interstate Love Song" and the acoustic version of "Plush"
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Album - Tiny Music.

Song - Always tough to pick just one song. I'll go with one from Tiny Music - "Big Bang Baby".

A college roommate got Core when it was fairly new. I'd never heard of them, but I liked it. I eventually got the album the next year when I joined Columbia House. I didn't really keep up with them after that, but I recall hearing their songs on the radio. I eventually got Purple and Tiny Music.... I was surprised at how many songs I already knew when I listened to them. I didn't listen to them a lot though, so whenever I came back to Tiny Music..., I'd be impressed. I'd be thinking "I forgot that all these great songs were on here.

Back to Core though. I didn't really think of them as Pearl Jam clones. The roommate who got the album is the one who I think pointed this out to me, that three songs in a row on that album seem to imitate three different bands. "Naked Sunday" sounds a bit like Pearl Jam, "Creep" sounds like Kurt Cobain on one of Nirvana's slower songs, and "Piece of Pie" sounds more like Chris Cornell of Soundgarden. I also think that "Wet My Bed" sounds like a spoken word Jim Morrison. Perhaps I also detect the Smithereens or something in some of the songs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    I was surprised at how many songs I already knew when I listened to them.
    That seems to be a common thought from people that weren't big fans (or semi-casual fans), especially when they see the listing on "Thank You" - their greatest hits album.

1 Vasoline
    2. Down
    3. Wicked Garden
    4. Big Empty
    5. Plush
    6. Big Bang Baby
    7. Creep
    8. Lady Picture Show
    9. Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart
    10. Interstate Love Song
    11. All In The Suit That You Wear (new song)
    12. Sex Type Thing
    13. Days of the Week
    14. Sour Girl
    15. Plush (Acoustic - Headbanger's Ball)
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!