Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bring back the Cinema Scene sets

Saw the thread on Evolutions, and thought this was worth a look as well. In the past, the Cinema Scenes were the only way we could get some figures that have since never been released on a card (Owen Lars & Palpy with Throne come to mind). The battlepacks that seem to have taken the place of these are a ridiculous way to repackage 95% of figures we already have with about 5% new figures.

There are several very worthy additions that, in some cases, are long overdue. Hopefully Hasbro would also make these much easier to find than they did with those shortpacks of half the sets in the past. And they should start with a proper remake of these two impossible-to-find rehashes:

Separation of the Twins: Luke
    Obi-Wan w/ hood
    Owen Lars w/o cloak
    Beru Lars w/Baby Luke

Separation of the Twins: Leia
    Bail Organa
    Queen of Alderaan w/Baby Leia
    Generic Droid

In both cases, better re-sculpts of the twins are a must.

In addition, I would want to see the following:

The Lars Family
    Young Owen Lars w/cloak
    Beru Whitesun
    Cliegg Lars w/ hoverchair

Duel of the Fates
    Obi-Wan in fighting stance aiming high
    Qui-Gon in fighting stance aiming low
    Darth Maul blocking both sabers

Battle on Geonosis
    Obi-Wan injured and on the ground
    Anakin swinging one saber high, the other low
    Count Dooku blocking one saber, force pushing w/ the other hand
    "I take orders from just one person - ME!"

Deaths on Tatooine Set: ANH
    - Crispy Owen and Beru Skeletons
    - Assorted crispy Jawas
    - "Blasted" Greedo

Deaths on Tatooine Set: ROTJ
    - "Choked" Jabba the Hutt with eyes rolling to the back of his head action
    - Half-chewed Gamorrean Guard
    - Digested Boba Fett

Deaths on Tatooine Set: Prequels
    - splattered against a mesa wall Podrace pilot (with real goo included!)
    - "Waiting to die until the last possible moment for story convenience" Shmi
    - Sliced and diced Sandpeople

Vader's Wrath
    - Choking Antilles
    - Choking Motti
    - Dead Ozzel

I liked the c nema scenes well enough. NEver did find that Watto's Box i wanted ever, . However, especially with some of the later ones, the figure quality was rather low, particularly in articulation.
    ~Umbra: Light is only a shadow cast by the darkness of the stars

Mustafar War Room

Nute Gunray
    Rune Haako
    Po Nudo

Mustafar War Room II

Rute Gunnay
    Denaria Kee
    Po Nudo's aide

Meeting of the Separatists on Geonosis

Gilramos Libkath
    Tikkes
    Rogwa Wodrata

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
    . However, especially with some of the later ones, the figure quality was rather low, particularly in articulation.
    I second that. Need I mention the cantina one with Nabrun Leids *shudder*

I do agree that these Cinema Scenes were pretty cool. I've got all of 'em and they were something different from the norm and they gave us some new figures (the Death Star Escape comes directly to mind).
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

The ones I want:

Quote Originally Posted by tagmac View Post

Separation of the Twins: Luke
    Obi-Wan w/ hood
    Owen Lars w/o cloak
    Beru Lars w/Baby Luke

Separation of the Twins: Leia
    Bail Organa
    Queen of Alderaan w/Baby Leia
    Generic Droid

In addition, I would want to see the following:

The Lars Family
    Young Owen Lars w/cloak
    Beru Whitesun
    Cliegg Lars w/ hoverchair

Battle on Geonosis
    Obi-Wan injured and on the ground
    Anakin swinging one saber high, the other low
    Count Dooku blocking one saber, force pushing w/ the other hand
    And I made some revisions to BattleDroid's suggestion:

Meeting of the Separatists on Geonosis

Tiikes
    Tonbuck Toora
    Po Nudo

These main 3 would be super cool to get all of them in one set!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I would buy a lot of the cinema scenes if they ever made them, especially OT cinema scenes. Then they could give us more jabba's palace and cantina aliens.
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

I loved this subline. I was irked when they went to the screen scenes. I hated em. Bring these all back I say.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Cinema Scenes were a good idea in theory, but in practice I really don't think they worked as well as folks remember. A lot of the figures were rehashes or slight remolds rather than new figures, and those rare new figures were often badly realized with scene-specific poses and cheap paint. A lot of Cinema Scenes and the later Screen Scenes ended up languishing and going to clearance. It's not something I'd like to see revisited anymore, maybe if it's something special but even stuff like the garbage masher 2packs didn't quite work as well as they should have.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidhuman View Post
    I loved this subline. I was irked when they went to the screen scenes. I hated em. Bring these all back I say.
    I think if this question was posd to Hasbro, they would say something like, "That's what the battle packs are for." They depict action oriented scenes that are appealing to the broadest audience (kids/collectors/casual fans). Whereas scene specific packs might be though of as niche and not action oriented. (Ala the Lars sets-though I'd buy them of course) thus kid swouldn't be in a hurry to get them and this translates into poor sales.

I'm not disagreeing with you fellas. I'd like to see them too. But Hasbro seems to have a winner on their hands with the Battle packs and until those start to really pegwarm, I don't see them changing this format anytime soon.

-Sal
    Move along, move along