Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Simpsons

El Chuxter actually thought tonight's was one of the better episodes of the past several years. At least, that's what I surmised from the laughter emanating from the basement as I drank all his soda. It definitely sounded like "Better than any episode in years, which is an improvement, but not a classic by any means" type laughter.

I had to bang on the door and get him to shut up, as my gang and I were watching America's Funniest Home Videos. Bob Saget is hysterical, but that guy they got to replace him is even funnier! If he were purple, he would be my lieutenant.

THIS I COMMAND!!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'm not sure which is more tired, The Simpsons or Chux's current schtick.

Anyway, I found last night's episode mainly insufferable, and lightly lifting from Sound of Music worked so badly it was shameful... well, it would be if the current producers of the show had any shame left in them at all. And all those cameos that fell flat, the only one that even halfway worked was Andy Dick and his blue-collar dad owning a shovel. Even the gags that should have worked ended up getting milked too far. And that ending with the Honeymooners, where did that stinker come from?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I was home and watching tv at 7 so I made a point of watching The Simpsons.... I last until there was that song about Lisa.

This week had...

a possible Bridge to Terabithia reference, or LOTR, or TPM.
    a Flintsones sound effect.
    quite possibly the most annoying scene (the lemon candy chewing).
    the true difference between Patty and Selma (a hair pin?).

Overall, not a bad episode.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I cringed at the Lord of the Rings reference at the end. It's like they're ripping off Family Guy now, with the random UPS guys riding on dragons.
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

They've been ripping off Family Guy for about five years now. They bash the show, saying it's borderline plaigiarism of The Simpsons (though the only similarity is that they're both animated shows about families with a fat guy). But they turn around and do gags that would work perfectly well on FG (or, at worst, be forgotten in a long string of rapid-fire slapstick), but are totally in opposition to the type of humor from Simpsons history.

Look at old shows like "Bart's War." They work not because they're old, but they're a cohesive narrative. Even when there's a setup that has nothing to do with the major plot, everything flows together.

If you took an old episode threw in almost any of the gags (or, better, attempts at gags) from the last couple of years of Simpsons, they'd stand out like sore thumbs.

The writers of The Simpsons need to look back at what made the show great, not at the show that comes on half an hour later and that they're jealous of.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Love the simpsons

dont know whether I would enjoy it as much on the big screen and having to pay to see it but none the less this the new halloween and transformers are top of my agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    a possible Bridge to Terabithia reference, or LOTR, or TPM.
    LOTR, specifically The Two Towers.
    a Flintsones sound effect.
    Not the first time though.
    the true difference between Patty and Selma (a hair pin?).
    It's actually the earrings and hair shape.

Quote Originally Posted by General_Grievous View Post
    I cringed at the Lord of the Rings reference at the end. It's like they're ripping off Family Guy now, with the random UPS guys riding on dragons.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    They've been ripping off Family Guy for about five years now. They bash the show, saying it's borderline plaigiarism of The Simpsons (though the only similarity is that they're both animated shows about families with a fat guy). But they turn around and do gags that would work perfectly well on FG (or, at worst, be forgotten in a long string of rapid-fire slapstick), but are totally in opposition to the type of humor from Simpsons history.
    I totally agree, that dragon was so out of place here even for a late-season Simpsons episode, but totally something that would have been on Family Guy. I posted somewhere around here recently that I felt that was one of The Simpsons' failings lately how the writers are trying to go a more Family Guy route no matter how bad the fit. And they're indeed a VERY bad fit.

The writers of The Simpsons need to look back at what made the show great, not at the show that comes on half an hour later and that they're jealous of.
    And here I thought those writers should just be fired altogether.

Anyway, last night's ep wasn't the worst in recent memory, it was sloppy and stupid and another crappy ridiculous plot and remarkably sentimental in an unpleasant way, but I chuckled at a few little heres and theres.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I gotta say that tonights intro at the beginning of the show was one of the coolest introductions ever: the Evolution of Homer. GREAT stuff.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute View Post
    I gotta say that tonights intro at the beginning of the show was one of the coolest introductions ever: the Evolution of Homer. GREAT stuff.
    I concur. The episode itself wasn't too bad either. Somewhat new, pretty current topic.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega