Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Simpsons

Best part of the episode for me was the mass robot suicide in the middle of the street. Haven't cracked up like that in while.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Sure, this was another Bart-fall-in-love story, but I liked it. However, I'm lost as to which real TV series was Homer's addiction...
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

The moment we got to the couch gag, I had a HUGE grin on my face because I immediately recognized the art style of Bill Plympton. And Plympton did not disappoint even a little, there was no watering-down-for-the-big-tv-show about it, it had a salacious and outlandish little story that was note-perfect for a Plymptoon. Towards the end I found myself applauding The Simpsons, something I had never done before.

Too bad I didn't enjoy the episode itself much. I just tried to watch it again on DVR, once the couch gag was done it was quickly deleted, I just couldn't get into it, too much middling, doughy writing, especially the second half which didn't really go anywhere new. Also, Bart seeing a boob seemed almost grotesque for this show, it would have been right for Bongo from Life in Hell which is sorta where Bart really is but the show has made itself fairly PG in the modern world when it comes to Bart.

On the other other hand, "Stranded" did have a rock that used Alien Language 1 from Futurama, with the oh-so-clever message of "Watch Futurama Thursdays at 10", and at the end there was Fry and Leela stuck on an asteroid.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I didn't really know the artist of the couch gag (even though I saw the signature at the end), but I thought it was the best CG ever. The Oregon Springfield reference in the cloud/city fly-over was neat. Not too often do we get 'into' the bullies all that often.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Cloud City? I guess site-context affects what I see.

Bill Plympton is da man! He is an amazing independent animator, his short "Your Face" was Oscar nominated, he's a real American original. He's the first person to ever draw every frame of a commercial, full-length, animated movie. He's also a really cool guy, he'll usually draw you something if you go up to his booth at Comic-Con. His work is unpredictable too, some is very PG and others are R. Some of it showed up on MTV and the indie animation circuits starting in the late '80s.

As for this episode, I didn't think they got into the bullies much here, they were hardly characters, just props for the storyline to move along. We didn't get anything from Kearney or Dolph (or "Dorf and Ernie" as Marge called them, that was funny) and Jimbo really didn't have any insight or new stuff to do.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Not the greatest couch gag, but it was "different," I guess.

A merging of multiple previous episode storylines into one; not too bad for this one. Just not really funny (more cute or quirky, even sentimental at times).

I agree on the couch gag.

I thought this episode was ok right up until the turn halfway through the cruise, then Bart hatches a really out-there plan and it's just too much for me, reminds me of the ADD drugs episode, just too broad and way out of character.

I wish Bryan Cranston's role was bigger, but it was still pretty decent. No Malcolm in-jokes? The Nelson "side story" was almost non-existent.

Next week's season finale has a guest voice of... Lady Gaga. This week was another education-related one, plus playing off the Ned-is-a-straight-arrow motif. Interesting to see his parents back, man, even if it was in a facist capitalist flashback, man.

This wasn't too bad for a season finale; even if the Lisa's-not-popular storyline was renewed. I was actually surprised at just how much LG's voice & character was featured in the episode. Also liked the simplicity of the Zii couch gag.