Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Simpsons

This was a better than recent-average episode, although there was some stupid stuff like riding a dolphin as a surfboard. Herb's outgoing voicemail was a great touch, I had been wondering what happened with Herb lately. I was surprised that Marge didn't consider Ned Flanders for godparent though, even as a throwaway.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I liked this one. I forget just how weird some fads are (see the couch gag this week), especially dance ones lately. The storage unit obsession story was pretty good, and even yet another Grampa backstory held up well. Been a while since there'd been a decent original song on the show. Best part? Bart's sunglasses during his "bad boy" baseball game. :kanyeburn:
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

How is it that all the other old wrestlers are wrinkly bodies, but grandpa ain't?

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I was happy to see the episode quickly move away from the storage wars idea. All in all not too bad.

I was completely lost as to who the substitute's voice was; found out in the credits. Two interesting storylines: Ned vs. Homer in a slightly different way than previously done, Lisa vs. her new sub. Couch gag looked cool, too (by Bill Couldn't-Read-the-Last-Name-But-the-Style-Looks-Familiar?).
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Couch gag looked cool, too (by Bill Couldn't-Read-the-Last-Name-But-the-Style-Looks-Familiar?).
    It was Bill Plympton. He also did the couch gag from last season where Homer left the couch for Marge, then the couch had a baby and goes into prostitution before Homer finally adopts the couch and baby chair into the Simpson family.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Another great Bill Plympton couch gag, the man is an amazing talent - he draws either the entire things or the key frames, he started out drawing every frame himself but after several movies doing that he's finally gotten some help. The family's reaction to Maggie with the gun was awesome.

The episode itself was way out of character though, Ned punching Homer? Lisa's teacher being crappy because she thought Lisa was a pretty girl? None of this felt authentic. And to reverse Ned's age back to a realistic level was surprising, kinda changes his personality a little.

That said, it wasn't a terrible episode but it wasn't "good" in my book and the stuff with Bart should have had more room to breathe.

Bart's in trouble? The family's in court? This one was okay.

It had Janet Reno as herself, and her sister was a voice actor as well. That was weird. But the youth court thing didn't really do it for me, and there wasn't anything about the gag that was worse than the stuff they have tolerated from Bart, from Homer, from Mr Burns ("merry fishmas!"), et al., but I did enjoy Moe's breaking down at the testimony about Bart's crank calls - I've used "Mike Rotch" joke m'self. Speaking of Mr Burns though, there was his out of the blue passion for comic books and then becoming Batman, that was... quite a thing to see.