Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unfunny washed-up radio host to front Van Halen

From Yahoo! News:
    David Lee Roth back as Van Halen singer

LOS ANGELES - The rumors were true. Van Halen will reunite with original singer David Lee Roth for a summer tour of North America.

"I am very excited to get back to the core of what made Van Halen," guitarist Eddie Van Halen said in a statement posted Friday on the band's Web site announcing a 40 city tour. No specific dates have been named.

It will be the first time that Roth performs live with the band since 1984, when he was replaced by Sammy Hagar. A brief reunion with Roth in 1996 resulted in two new songs but no tour.

Original bassist Michael Anthony will not be a part of the reunion. Late last year he was replaced by Eddie Van Halen's 15-year-old son Wolfgang.

On March 12 Van Halen will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at a ceremony in New York.
    Red emphasis mine.

Isn't it nice to know that the heart of what makes Van Halen, Van Halen isn't good music, searing guitar, or any of what we thought, but having a guy who once was cool but has instead been a tool for almost two decades in the band with your teenaged son?

And will Eddie let Wolfgang get drunk and trash venues if there are brown M&M's in the candy dish? That's the real question.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Isn't it nice to know that the heart of what makes Van Halen, Van Halen isn't good music, searing guitar, or any of what we thought, but having a guy who once was cool but has instead been a tool for almost two decades in the band with your teenaged son?
    There were two parts to VH's successful formula. Eddie's guitar work and Dave's personality. Call him an idiot, call him washed up, call him bald but Dave was a key ingredient to VH's success. Halen had one good album after Dave left, 5150. After that they stagnated, a few good songs here and there. The same can be said for Dave. One good album ("Eat em' and Smile") and then fizzle. Eddie and Dave need each other! Hate each other or not. Like John & Paul, John & Richie, Peter & Chicago

Guys weren't the only ones to buy VH records. And the gals weren't buying them because they admired Eddie's guitar prowess!

Now going forward, I have questions about Wolfgang pulling it off. I'm sure he's a great musician, And I actually don't care too much for Michael. I think, however that the value of a DLR/VH tour is the whole "reunion" package. That would include the four original members. I just wonder if the fans will pay to see this punk kid up there with these iconic hereos.
    Wanted; loose or sealed
    Blue Clone Wars Jedi Starfighter (Not Anakin's), TRU Y-Wing, TRU Gold Leader X-Wing

i'd rather see michael anthony playing with sammy than this "reunion" formation of VH.

Sammy H. was my least favorite V.H. frontman. Although, I do like why can't this be love a lot. Having Wolfgang in there is just plain stupid.

Sorry, but anyone with limited guitar-bass knowledge can play the simpleton bass-lines in Van Halen. Now singing Michael Anthony's high vocal harmonies might be a little more difficult.

Does anybody know what happened between Eddie and Michael?

I hope on this tour they play a few Roth tunes.... Just a Giggalo would be great to hear live!

I guess 3rd time's a charm for DLR. He was an awesome frontman, arguably the best rock frontman of all time, but I suspect the wind has fallen from his sails (hopefully not as bad as that wheezing, fat, pathetic Vince Neil when he got back in front of the Crue to embarrass themselves). I just don't think DLR has the energy, the wits, or the physical fortitude to do enough cocaine to kickstart either of those that would be required to bring back any pretense of former VH glory.

As for kicking Michael Anthony out of the band to be replaced by his son, I guess Eddie is trying to pull off some twisted Partridge Family gimmick with everybody in his family in VH.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenric78 View Post
    Sammy H. was my least favorite V.H. frontman. Although, I do like why can't this be love a lot. Having Wolfgang in there is just plain stupid.
    C'mon, what about Gary Cherone? Boy did that era suck in no small part thanks to his frontmanning.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    I just don't think DLR has the energy, the wits, or the physical fortitude to do enough cocaine to kickstart either of those
    look OUT man, JT is DANGEROUS, I will be laughing intermittently for the next few days thanks to that line dammit

I think DLR is their best shot- he had the proper "Dave Energy Level" on that "Slam Dunk" tune (and the fact that I never heard a single note off of the rest of whatever album that was means he likely didn't have very much of "it")

Once Dave left VH and they started writing songs for Volvo commercials, they kinda sucked rocks, so pretty much the best they can hope to be is a vegas-style, "beatlemania" for the 80's generation at this point... I serisouly don't expect that writing any new material will be as important as getting 40-ish year old butts in the seats on tour, and I have a pretty good feeling that a LOT of folks will kick down the bread to see "Jump" and/or "Panama" and maybe a little "Top Jimmy" done as close to right as it's ever gonna get again......

Me, I ain't goin, seeing KISS once was about enough nostalgia for this cowboy :ducks: Isobaws&
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

A) This tour will explode and won't last the 40 cities.

B) Having Wolfy in there is dumb, hey if it's going to be A Family Affair they might as well have Valerie Bertinelli sing lead vox.

C) Chux already wins the 2007 SSG Award for best thread title!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    A) This tour will explode and won't last the 40 cities.

B) Having Wolfy in there is dumb, hey if it's going to be A Family Affair they might as well have Valerie Bertinelli sing lead vox.

C) Chux already wins the 2007 SSG Award for best thread title!
    A) Yes
    B) Its Family Affair not exFamily Affair
    C) Probably although ought-seven has a lot of life left to it.