Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A review of Haagen-Daz's Coffee Ice Cream

It is yummy! If you like chocolate, or are one of the people who thinks real coffee smells better than it tastes, you'll like this ice cream.

I bought the little bucket of it, so I wouldn't have too much in case I didn't like it.

I actually had to force myself to save some for later, as I'm afraid I ate over half the junior sized bucket's contents.

You might want to have a glass of water handy to wash it down.

I suddenly got really thirsty after I finished my ice cream snack (well it was more like a meal).

But I think the majority of you all will really like Haagen-Daz's coffee flavored ice cream.

(BTW, it took time and careful consideration for me to decide on this, as I weighed purchasing Dreyers, Breyer's, and Ben & Jerry's flavors instead - then ultimately decided to take a chance on this one.)

So there you have it, my first Ice Cream Review of 2007!

Eat it up! Yum-Yum.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

wow, a new weekly feature courtesy of Tycho.

i usually don't like coffee ice creams though

Oh, I don't know if it will be a weekly feature, but maybe an occasional thread or I'll just repost about a new flavor in this thread.

However, my current positive experience with coffee ice cream is that I'll buy this product again as soon as I run out of ice cream. As my plans are such, I can't review a new flavor. However, my all-time favorite used to be Breyer's or Dreyer's Pistachio (the one with artificial green coloring).

I just feel like a break from that flavor.

I also loved Ben & Jerry's White Russian. This Haagen Daz's coffee is very similar, which must be why I like it. I couldn't find the Ben & Jerry's flavor except at select name-brand-only ice cream stores. And not all of B&J's carried White Russian.

In any case, none of Tycho's special feature threads are on a regular basis:

- the dream threads occur as needed. I have to have an interesting dream first (and remember it).

- the Mouse Droid sniffing thread is really about finding new figures and opening them and sniffing them. My latest find was the Kashyyyk Special Ops Clone who doesn't really smell like anything - so no story there.

- and my political threads have kind of tapered off as Nancy Pelosi has had a calming affect on me for some reason or another, though I'm hearing some less-than-good things about her from some of my Republican friends, but that's for the Rancor Pit.

- the news about the psycho-stalking astronaut (El Chuxter's thread) is of interest, but there's not too much more to say until the story unfolds some more at her trial. Haha: the judge did have her ordered to wear a GPS tracking cuff however, just in case she tried to leave the earth!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Coffee ice cream is best mixed with chocolate milk and Kahlua.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I've been eating this ice cream since I was a kid, my grandmother is a big fan of this one since the early '80s when it hit the national scene. Now that I've become sensitive to caffeine though, I have avoided it, and the last time I tried it last year the caffeine was super bitter and unpalatable.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I read the ingredients (albeit very quickly) and I didn't see there was any caffine content listed. It should be there if it were in there, right?

In this world of artificial flavoring, the taste could be simulated. They make coffee flavored bubblegum too - and I don't think there's caffine in that either.

Haagen-Dazs' coffee ice cream doesn't need to list caffeine as a separate ingredient because it's not added separately, it's a component to the natural coffee they use to flavor the ice cream. The ingredients are "Cream, Skim Milk, Sugar, Egg Yolks, Coffee". Since it doesn't say "natural flavor", it's a significant amount of coffee beans even though it's last in the list. H-D claims they roast their own real Brazillian coffee beans for it, so that's normal coffee-level caffeine.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Hmmm. Then maybe I shouldn't be eating it.

I wasn't told to specifically stay away from caffeine (I think I'm spelling that correctly now, thanks JT), but I know it increases blood pressure and I should try to limit my intake of it due to my health concerns.

Yeah, that's how you spell it, and you're right that you shouldn't be ingesting it with your condition. The problem is that coffee ice cream is pretty tasty, but decaffeinated coffee is too expensive to waste on ice cream (and most decaf coffee beverage is a much lower quality of bean so it tastes pretty awful) - I think there's an artificial flavored ice cream out there that holds up, but I don't remember which.

You should watch the protein levels in ice cream too, some use more milk and/or eggs than others, some add extra milk protein separately for stabilizing.

Well, a treat once in a while, and I'm OK. I finished it the other day but I haven't had the urge to buy more.

Actually, I'm eating less now. It's strange, but I'm having only two meals a day now: a late breakfast and a very late lunch-dinner.

I'll have a snack here and there (I bought fresh fruit - apples, blueberries, raspberries to munch on), but I'm not that hungry and I sleep on and off all day and night.

I also have been having a tendancy to vomit about 3 times a week. I know: you thank me for sharing that...