Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Where "text" & "friend" are (n) & "fail" is (v)

Cool Music by the Decade: 80s

When you walk through stores and they have those CD compilations of the decades, they never seem to have the "right" songs to me. Downloading songs for MP3 players makes this issue moot now, but what would you consider THE collection to symbolize the 1980s? They don't have to be your favorites (although that'd make sense to be), just what would represent that time period. Here's mine, with the artists' track numbers in no particular order:

1. "Like a Virgin" Madonna
    2. "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" Wham!
    3. "Karma Chameleon" Culture Club
    4. "Billie Jean" Michael Jackson
    5. "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" Cindy Lauper
    6. "Walk This Way" Run DMC & Aerosmith
    7. "When Doves Cry" Prince & the Revolution
    8. "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" Pat Benatar
    9. "Hungry Like the Wolf" Duran Duran
    10. "Tainted Love" Soft Cell
    11. "White Wedding" Billy Idol
    12. "Jump" Van Halen
    13. "Down Under" Men at Work
    14. "Danger Zone" Kenny Loggins
    15. "Vacation" The Go-Gos
    Bonus Track: "Safety Dance" Men Without Hats
    Too late; I already copyrighted these parodies: Rogue Juan, Rogue Won, Rogue Huan, Rogue Wan, Rogue Obi-Wan, Rouge One, Rogue Wand.

That list does a pretty good job of covering a wide range of pop and rock hits, though I think it is mostly from the first half of the decade. I think pop music probably started to go downhill by the end of the decade, or I just wasn't listening to it as much. My collection of CD's and iTunes purchases from the 80's pales in comparison to my 70's and 90's and '00's stuff.

I'd add:

Bruce Springsteen, "Born In The USA" or
    "Dancing In The Dark"
    U2, "I Still Haven't Found..."
    Peter Gabriel, "Big Time"
    Dexy's Midnight Runners, "Come On Eileen"
    J Giles, "Angel In The Centerfold" , or is it just Centerfold?
    Madness, "Our House"
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

For GOOD 80's music, you'd have to go with Queen and Talking Heads and (maybe) Pink Floyd, but their heyday had come and gone by then. Oh, and Paul Simon's Graceland. I'm not a huge 80's music fan aside from those.
    Got a question for Hasbro? Ask it here!
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by dr_evazan22 View Post
    J Giles, "Angel In The Centerfold" , or is it just Centerfold?
    It is just "Centerfold", and besides, the lyrics are "Angel is the Centerfold." That goes back to about 6th grade for me. That Freeze Frame album was pretty good. At the time, I thought they were a new band, but they had been around for a long time. Apparently, I wasn't the only one that thought that. Dynamite magazine did a survey once of the best songs, artists and albums of the year (as well as worst), plus a few other categories such as best new artist. I believe J. Geils Band made the list. I think Olivia Newton-John's "Physical" made both the best and the worst list.

The other cool thing about J. Geils Band was that one of them went by the name of "Magic Dick."

a few of my favorite bands from the 80's were:

Police
    U2
    Tears for Fears
    Cutting Crew
    Billy Idol

All these bands put out albums where almost every song on each of their albums were good and they all had excellent guitarists, instead of the mostly all keyboard candy-as* bands that were prevalent.

The Cutting Crew only put out one good album, but everyone else consistently put out good material, though a couple fizzled out with some tired sounding efforts by the late 80's.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    For GOOD 80's music, you'd have to go with Queen and Talking Heads and (maybe) Pink Floyd, but their heyday had come and gone by then. Oh, and Paul Simon's Graceland. I'm not a huge 80's music fan aside from those.
    I'm working on a list, but I find this pretty interesting. You like groups like Franz Ferdinand and The Killers, but not, say, INXS or Duran Duran or even Dexy's Midnight Runners, who all sound like they were huge influences on dudes you like?
    That's my jacket!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I'm working on a list, but I find this pretty interesting. You like groups like Franz Ferdinand and The Killers, but not, say, INXS or Duran Duran or even Dexy's Midnight Runners, who all sound like they were huge influences on dudes you like?
    It's not that I don't like them, I just don't know them as well. I suppose I've just heard the more modern bands more than I have heard the old ones, hearing them on the radio or reading about them more. I was just going off of the 80's stuff I had in iTunes.

Continuing what I did with the 60's and 70's threads, here are the #1 songs of 1980 (blue=in my collection):

"Please Don't Go" - K.C. & The Sunshine Band (1 week)
    "Rock With You" - Michael Jackson (4 weeks)
    "Do That To Me One More Time" - The Captain & Tennille (1 week)
    "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" - Queen (4 weeks)
    "Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)" - Pink Floyd (4 weeks)
    "Call Me" - Blondie (6 weeks)
    "Funkytown" - Lipps, Inc. (4 weeks)
    "Coming Up (Live at Glasgow) - Paul McCartney & Wings (3 weeks)
    "It's Still Rock and Roll To Me" - Billy Joel (2 weeks)
    "Magic" - Olivia Newton-John (4 weeks)
    "Sailing" - Christopher Cross (1 weeks)
    "Upside Down" - Diana Ross (4 weeks)
    "Another One Bites The Dust" - Queen (3 weeks)
    "Woman in Love" - Barbara Streisand (3 weeks)
    "Lady" - Kenny Rogers (6 weeks)
    "(Just Like) Starting Over" - John Lennon (5 weeks)

Two former Beatles with #1 songs ten years after they broke up. Unfortunately, John Lennon didn't live to see that song reach #1.

My brother had the Queen (The Game and Billy Joel (Glass Houses) albums. Those were both pretty big that year. He also had the second Pat Benatar album, Crimes of Passion, which I have now, and Air Supply's Lost in Love. Other 1980 albums in his collection (and mine now as well) were Devo's Freedom of Choice and The B-52's Wild Planet. That was about as alternative as I got back in those days.

Some other 1980 tracks in my collection:

"I Got You" - Split Enz (I didn't learn the title and artist of this song for sure until a few years ago)
    "Cars" - Gary Numan (When I used to mentioned the band The Cars to people, they'd think of this song instead)
    "Love Will Tear Us Apart" - Joy Division (I only discovered this in recent years)
    "More Love" - Kim Carnes
    "Misunderstanding" - Genesis
    "Any Way You Want It" - Journey (Caddyshack!)
    "Wango Tango" - Ted Nugent (plus a couple other tunes from Scream Dream. Ted should make an energy drink and name it after this song.)
    "Expresso Love" - Dire Straits (love the opening riff)

1980 was also the year that Minor Threat formed, though I never heard of them until about a decade later.

I remember going with a friend to see Xanadu in the theater. Great music by Olivia Newton-John and E.L.O. I saw the movie again on TV in 1983 I think, and developed a bit of a crush on ONJ. Later that night we stayed up and watched some music program that had Tommy Tutone on it. This was before "867-5309". My friend liked their song "Angel Say No", but the other song that was on this program was called "Cheap Date". I liked that one better, and now have purchased it from iTunes.

It may have been the same night and program that we saw the Tommy Tutone songs where we also saw The Rolling Stones videos for "She's So Cold" and "Emotional Rescue". The Emotional Rescue album was pretty good, and another one that my brother had.

Please don't pretend that it's okay to have Olivia Newton-John in your collection but not Pink Floyd's The Wall or Queen's The Game.