Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Grammys

Hybrid View

2007 Grammys

Wasn't sure whether to post this in TV or Music.

It's still on, and, as normal, going through various ups and downs.

The Dixie Chicks appear to be sweeping things, which is unfortunate since this album wasn't their best by a long shot. It's all "hey, you hate Bush too" going on in the voting. :roll:

Most of the musical performances are pretty "meh." The best so far was Christina Aguilera performing James Brown's "It's a Man's World." The girl has come light years beyond her contemporaries, and she has some impressive pipes.

I'd never heard John Legend, and never heard of Corrine Bailey Ray, but their little trio with John Mayer was a close second. Quite impressive on all three counts.

This was the first time I've heard Gnarls Barkley; aside from seeing some complaints here about them, I'd never even heard of them. I actually rather dug it. Stupid name, and the Idi Amin getup was retarded, but the guy had a damned good soul voice.

The Police, well, I expected a letdown, and I was disappointed even there. They should've all stayed in bed this morning. I don't care what kind of big deal people make about them, the fact remains that it was Sting and his backing band. A good backing band, admittedly, but not in the same league as Sting himself.

The tribute to the Eagles sucked super-hard. When will people realize that they were a rock band? Country acts can get away with covering some of their early stuff, but when they try stuff like "Hotel California" or "Life in the Fast Lane" (anything after Joe Walsh joined, basically), it's a train wreck.

Carrie Underwood took home Best New Artist, so maybe she'll fade away now. I hate all the interchangeable so-called country acts, and she's among the most nondescript.

It's back....
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post

This was the first time I've heard Gnarls Barkley; aside from seeing some complaints here about them, I'd never even heard of them. I actually rather dug it. Stupid name, and the Idi Amin getup was retarded, but the guy had a damned good soul voice.
    Then you totally missed this.

From the 2006 MTV Music Awards.

http://www.bolt.com/mcfitztillery/video/1263176

It was a pi55er finding this. Viacom made 'em take down all of the on YouTubevideos.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

By the way, I forgot to ask earlier: Does Shakira actually sing? I've seen her before, but this is the first time I've seen her "perform." She looks hot, she dresses nicely, and she knows how to move. But I saw no evidence of anything that actually implies any singing talent. A supposed duet was just her moaning and Wyclef Jean rapping (and, probably, silently praying for a proper Fugees reunion so he could pay some bills).
    Tommy, close your eyes.

So... the Red Hot Chili Peppers just accepted a Best Rock Album Grammy from none other than Al Gore.

Does anyone else see the irony in that? One of the archenemies of the PMRC taking the award from the husband of its founder... I only wish it could've been Twisted Sister. I'd like to have heard what Dee Snider would've said to the old wooden man.

(Sorry, he can gain all the "cool" appeal with his environmental stuff, but to me, he'll always be the douchebag who insulted Dee Snider in the Senate hearings.)

But the nominees: Try!, Broken Boy Soldiers, Living With War, and Highway Companion? I have all those and can say that any of them is a few hundred times better than Stadium "More Mediocrity From Four Guys Who Should've Quit Ten Years Ago Instead of Singing the Same Stupid Ballad Over and Over and Slapping New Names on It for Every New Album" Arcadium.

(Sorry, jjreason, I know you'll want to have words with me over that comment.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I wasn't paying too close attention, but the Eagles covers sounded all right.

I saw Corinne Bailey Rae on SNL. Not the music I listen to, but it's a nice tune and she sings with a smile that makes it seem like she is really happy to be singing this song. Kind of like when I saw Nora Jones perform on TV once.

I still don't have any RHCP albums, but I like all the singles I've heard from this album so far. Sure, their formula hasn't changed much in the past decade, but they seem to keep making good music.

That Gnarls Barkley video with Chewbacca on drums and Darth Vader saying he is crazy was a real hoot. I've enjoyed hearing that song on the Music Choice alternative channel. I've also heard their cover of the Violent Femme's "Gone Daddy Gone", which was pretty good.

I recall back when Christina won a best new artist Grammy or something, and even then I thought she was far more talented than Britney.

I don't know if I own any of the Grammy nominated stuff. I've been considering getting the Raconteurs since I like "Steady As She Goes" and am also a White Stripes fan.

I thought the Police performance was pretty good. They changed it up a bit to make it interesting. I'd say they are more than just Sting's backing band, otherwise people wouldn't be excited to see them reunited. I've actually heard an instrumental piece by Andy Summers played on this ambient station I listen to called Asteaux World. The song is called "A Piece of Time" from a 1989 album called The Golden Wire. It's on iTunes on Andy Summers: A Windham Hill Retrospective.

I too wonder if the Dixie Chicks' victories were a political statement. It seemed like an okay song I guess, but not my sort of thing. If I want to hear country, I prefer classic stuff, pre-1980 mostly, or bluegrass. My mom was over today, and I put on the bluegrass Music Choice station. I like the guitar and banjo sound of that kind of music better than a lot of the current country that either tries to rock and uses a lot of steel slide guitar or whatever.

All's I really managed to se was the Police bit- second what Chux said there, MAN they were bad- Sting couldn't even sing his own part- it would have been okay if he'd actually written a new part that he CAN sing, but no, he just held back on all the high notes (especially that "put on the red light" in the chorus) and then, towards the end, he seemed like he decided he would try to hit them notes just to make it seem like he's "still got it" but he couldn't hit them for tryin- why they didn't choose a song they could still pull off is far beyond me, for all the hype it was kinda embarassing- even "Sting" himself had a little look of "holy CRAP I'm BOMBING" on his face- a look that you get to know WELL if you are involved with enough live music Isobaws&
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Then you totally missed this.

From the 2006 MTV Music Awards.

http://www.bolt.com/mcfitztillery/video/1263176

It was a pi55er finding this. Viacom made 'em take down all of the on YouTubevideos.
    That was the craziest sH## i've seen in a while slicker.....
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Is it true that they only gave out 13 awards on air last night? I have no idea how long it was on tv 2-3 hours? but 13 awards seems rather low.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Is it true that they only gave out 13 awards on air last night? I have no idea how long it was on tv 2-3 hours? but 13 awards seems rather low.
    They give out fewer each year on the air, and pad it more and more with mediocre live performances and unfunny presenters.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    They give out fewer each year on the air, and pad it more and more with mediocre live performances and unfunny presenters.
    Which is why I don't watch.