Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fat Suits

Fat Suits

Okay, this has been buggin me for some time-
    How come it's against the "rules" set out by our PC society, you can't just use the term "fat"- I mean, you CAN if you're a tiny bit overweight, I suppose, as in "I think I'm getting fat" but to call a morbidly obese person the same is a no-no

so why, in Hollywood, do they refer to the device to make an otherwise "skinny" person immense as a "fat suit"?? and no-one crusades against it, and even generally PC types use the expression since there appears to be no other term for it??

I am suggesting the contraption be re-named, like Kleenex- my first idea would be "Flummox"- I know it's a real word, but it kinda fits-

And IS there a "standard" flummox, or are they all crafted individually?? like, in the industry, would you hear a wardrobe guy say something like "I think the 335 Fatsuit is a bit too small, we need more girth- maybe a 427??"

Please, discuss

Isobaws&
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by mabudonicus View Post
    Okay, this has been buggin me for some time-
    How come it's against the "rules" set out by our PC society, you can't just use the term "fat"- I mean, you CAN if you're a tiny bit overweight, I suppose, as in "I think I'm getting fat" but to call a morbidly obese person the same is a no-no
    Because people like to have there eyes blinded and with the blatant truth being throw out there they may actually become pro-active and do something about it. We don't need skinny Americans now, do we?

so why, in Hollywood, do they refer to the device to make an otherwise "skinny" person immense as a "fat suit"?? and no-one crusades against it, and even generally PC types use the expression since there appears to be no other term for it??
    If the suit fits...HAW!

I am suggesting the contraption be re-named, like Kleenex- my first idea would be "Flummox"- I know it's a real word, but it kinda fits-
    Flummox you say? Hmmm...that has a certain nice ring to it. Almost like it's disguising the horrible truth. Instead of execution they should call it flummox so you think it's gonna be pleasant.

And IS there a "standard" flummox, or are they all crafted individually?? like, in the industry, would you hear a wardrobe guy say something like "I think the 335 Fatsuit is a bit too small, we need more girth- maybe a 427??"
    What I don't understand is why don't they use real fat big boned people to act these parts? Having a skinny person put on a suit would be like having Brad Pitt play the role of Martin Luther King.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    big boned people
    ooooh... let's be REALLY PC and refer to them as "weight" or "dietetically" challenged people...
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Ohhh, good one JP!

We could also say that gravity hasn't been kind to them.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    What I don't understand is why don't they use real fat big boned people to act these parts?
    What do big boned people have to do with the fat suit issue? That's an entirely different kind of movie.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIpartner View Post
    ... or "dietetically" challenged people...
    what do people who can't understand l. ron hubbard have to do with this?
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

That's "Dianetics" not "Diatetics" silly boy.

I'm 60 pounds heavier than I would care to be. I'm Fat or is it phat?
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett View Post
    I'm Fat or is it phat?
    Whichever you want, bf.

You make a good point, mabs. This country, and you Canucks from the sound of it, have become way too PC about everything. We're so scared of offending anyone that we have to come up with a million dollar phrase for everything.

The sweet irony of it all is that my Native American history teacher last semester, a full-blooded Chippewa, referred to himself, his tribe and his people the entire semester as "Indians", because "saying 'Native American' sounds dumb". It got to be a joke within the class and he would correct students who would refer to "Indians" as "Native Americans".
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Screw bein PC, I am a fat a $$ and Im proud of it.

HOLLA!!
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Quote Originally Posted by JetsAndHeels View Post
    Screw bein PC, I am a fat a $$ and Im proud of it.

HOLLA!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

Fat suits you say huh? Is that anything like shopping for clothes at Big and Tall? Call the place "You need to pay extra because of the 8 yards of material we need to use to cover your fat arse" Suit shop
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten