Page 198 of 216 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199200201202208 ... LastLast
Results 1,971 to 1,980 of 2152
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I didn't address this earlier, but nowhere in the episode is it said or even implied that the Nightsisters used the Force. I know they're Dark Siders in the EU, but it seems that their "magicks" are the source of their power here. I've heard Filoni say that Lucas said that this isn't the Force - or so if it is the Force, it's clearly a very different way of using it than either the Jedi or Sith. And they don't "keep killing Zabraks"; I assume you're referring to when Ventress went to pick out the apprentice. She only killed two of them, and then Feral later - she only beat up or picked on the others to humiliate them. Presumably you have to start with an already-strong warrior for the process to work well.
    The Nightsisters have been around almost since the EU was kickstarted back in 1990 or 1991. They've always used the Force; their ancestors just got really confused at some point in history and thought that it was magic and that their chants were what caused things to happen. They've never been portrayed as being able to genetically modify anything, particularly anything that's already fully-grown, but, then again, they've never been portrayed as having electric lights, either, which seem to be the only source of light on Dathomir.

You're probably right about her not killing more Zabraks. But it wasn't especially clear, and she had no reason to specifically kill two and not the others, so I'm sure I'm not the only person to make that mistake.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I've argued for keeping the uniqueness of these characters before, but I still think it works fine here.
    "I know I said I totally disagree with this sort of thing, but now I feel exactly the opposite." I wonder how you'll feel later on down the road when you've viewed the series with a little more distance. I don't know if you're being objective or just digging it as a new series and everything it does is great.

I still see Maul as one of the higher-end, if not best, warriors from this culture, which doesn't seem to be that huge anyway. But he was always sort of meant to be a disposable pitbull for Sidious, as you say, so I don't think that should really be a surprise here.
    Oh yeah, that was the best part of Episode I, it really made for a better film when that part was shown, don'tcha think? Or wait, that was not even remotely in the film, and the backstory for Maul showed him to be groomed from the youngest age to be Sidious' apprentice - I knew I got those 2 mixed up.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    "I know I said I totally disagree with this sort of thing, but now I feel exactly the opposite." I wonder how you'll feel later on down the road when you've viewed the series with a little more distance. I don't know if you're being objective or just digging it as a new series and everything it does is great.
    Too bad your computer evidently crashed before you could read the end of my paragraph:
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    If they're going to have other guys who look like Maul - whether or not you agree with them doing that in the first place - as I said, I'd much rather have it be from his culture than have it be markings for a secretive organization that are only ever shown on this one guy (in the films).
    And I never said everything it does is great. Does having Maul be the only guy in the history of the entire galaxy to look like that make him unique? Yes, of course. But is that plausible? No, not at all. All I'm saying is that, if they're going to expand on him and his appearance, I prefer this version of events to Legacy by a huge margin. Part of it might be that I hate the way the Legacy comics handled the Sith, and I'm glad that they're basically negating that here. I don't know.

As has been well established, on the whole, I like this series and you don't, at least not most of the time. So I also wonder if you just bag on the series just to do so, focusing on tiny details and rarely looking at the whole in the context of everything that's come before and everything that will come after.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Oh yeah, that was the best part of Episode I, it really made for a better film when that part was shown, don'tcha think? Or wait, that was not even remotely in the film, and the backstory for Maul showed him to be groomed from the youngest age to be Sidious' apprentice - I knew I got those 2 mixed up.
    In the first part of this statement, you complain that I extrapolated from something not directly in the films to draw my own conclusion about something, and then you go on to do the exact same. Maul is so barely even in TPM that we really know nothing of his backstory just from that film. I'm fully aware of that, and I never said otherwise. Sidious tells him he has been well-trained, and that's literally it. That's all we have to go off of. I never said any of that was in the film; it's just my own interpretation based off of TPM and this series, and I positioned it as such in that post.

It's only now that we're getting the official, Lucas-inspired backstory for Darth Maul, by way of the Nightbrothers story. Was he trained from an early age? I don't know, but that certainly doesn't preclude him from being, as I said, "one of the higher-end, if not best, warriors from this culture." Clearly, as I said earlier, Marked isn't in play anymore, so I don't even think it's safe to assume Maul was trained by Sidious from childhood. For all we know, Sidious killed Plagueis in the middle of the night and went to Dathomir to recruit Maul the next morning (though he likely did it some time before that), still training him for several years before the events of TPM. Or something completely different. Again, we don't explicitly know, and I don't know if we ever will. I'm only saying things as I see them, which is obviously different from how you do, but it doesn't make either one of us inherently wrong or right.

Well at least we finally got some action in this episode, good job!

The preview for next week's looks really, really good. The old statue warrior guy, the weird energy chick, and then what will become of Ahsoka. It looks like it may be the Qui Gon episode as well, I'm really interested in this one.
    Good trader(s): TheDarthVader...thanks!

I enjoyed it as well. Although.....

Is Dooku's command ship weaponless? With the banking clan as their sponsor I don't think they worried about paying by the laser, so why didn't Dooku command his droids to shoot both Ventress' pod and Savages ship? And too the point, if it's that easy to land an unidentified ship on Dooku's command ship, why don't the Jedi rent a freighter and load it with Jedi and take Dooku out?

But hey, at least they didn't give Savage a double bladed lightsaber.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

I dunno. I keep watching this show and once in a while, it has some moments that are really good and other times...it just seems like it's trying too hard and we can see the strain.

I get a little spoiler-ish here...

This whole Nightsisters thing...ugh. Witches and sorcery and magic talisman? Where's Star Wars? It looked pretty, but...it just wasn't engaging at all. And...Darth Maul? Alive? Really? Is there nothing this show won't take and suck the mystery out of? I wish Lucas would've kept Darth Maul in the same "don't touch this" zone that Palpatine and Yoda (any "early years/origins stuff) are in and leave a little to the imagination.

And next week...Qui-Gon? I'll withhold any outrage until I see the context he's presented in but...

I'm not going to be a bit surprised when this show does the ultimate JTS and comes up with some story conceit to have Ashoka or some other CW character somehow meeting Luke Skywalker or Princess Leia. Or we see young Boba Fett meet young Han Solo and they share some adventure where they go from fast friends to bitter enemies. Seem ridiculous? Hey, I think so too, but don't laugh...at the rate this show is going, nothing seems out of bounds...

The animation just keeps getting better and better. The action is superbly choreographed and there are some great character moments. Just wish the story-telling veered a little less towards "Wouldn't it be Cool if so-and-so showed up...?" Just seems a little lazy to me...

Darth Maul alive huh?

If true I'm interested in seeing how this one will play out. They're going to have to do a flashback of what happened to him after being cut in half, falling down that shaft me thinks.
    I'm curious to see him with his cyborg legs though.

His EU story is iffy anyways. http://members.shaw.ca/david.p.z.888...arth_maul.html
    Though I think it's ok that Lars finally gets him in the end.

Obviously he'd be bitter and wants revenge, but he's half the man he used to be.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Another "meh" show imho. So Maul's brother "just passed the first test" and he is kicking both Anners and Obbers butt? I mean, he schooled them two!?!?! WTF!?!?!

The ONE moment I thought was interesting and I even said out loud 'woo' was during the three way saber fight. That was interesting.

Maul still alive!?!?! Worst idea ever!!!

Is Maul in one piece, or does he have staple marks?

I know some (JJL ) will think I'm being dishonest, but I've remembered Lucas gave us three great (OT), three good (TPM & the Ewok movies), and two decent (AOTC & ROTS) Star Wars films, as well as three great Indy movies. I've held out the hope that he's been listening to bad advice and still has greatness in him.

But if he green-lit Maul surviving in something that's supposed to be canon, I have lost all respect for modern-day George Lucas and have to conclude he went irreparably insane at some point in the past.

I'd say it's the worst idea ever, but that seems like an understatement. I'd heard rumors, and hoped they were jokes.

Tommy, close your eyes.

God, I wish the storytelling could be even half as good as the visuals...

As the visuals improve, the storytelling declines.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!