Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

I hate Fall Out Boy

And their crappy new single "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race". I really wish the @$$ kicking metal bands of the 80s like Motley Crue and Metallica would kick the s**t out of all these emo bands like Fall Out Boy (and Panic at the Disco). The music industry has really gone down the toilet.
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

I can't stand these bands. And just to show how hard core and Emo they are, they're gonna be doing a show here in VA with...Paul Wall.

Now THAT'S Emo!!!
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I like some of that sort of music, but a lot of it does annoy me. I don't like the vocals on a lot of emo/pop-punk stuff. I can't distinguish one whiny nasal voice from another, and the guitars just seem to be a big non-distinct buzz. Sure, one of my favorite bands, the Smashing Pumpkins, had a whiny nasal sounding vocalist, but it was a bit more distinct and generally had better music to accompany it.

I listen to the Music Choice alternative channel, so I end up hearing a lot of these sorts of bands on there. Thus, I did come to enjoy the occasional song by them. I even purchased a few songs from iTunes. "Dance Dance" by Fall Out Boy, and "The Jetset Life Is Gonna Kill You" and "Ghost Of You" by My Chemical Romance.

I was never a huge Motley Crue fan, but Theatre of Pain was the last album I had any interest in. I finally got Too Fast For Love on CD recently. To me, that is their best album. It's almost punk rock, or a little closer to thrash than anything else they did. Plus, I like the cowbell.

Metallica is good, even in their later years, but I could do without most of the pop-metal/hair metal bands of the late 80's.

I guess since I am a child of the 70's, I enjoy the pop music from that decade the most. Lots of great songs and a lot of variety. When I'm not listening to the Alternative channel on Music Choice, I switch over to the 70's channel.

For something relatively new that's kind of kick @ss, Wolfmother sounds pretty good. You can definitely hear Zeppelin and Sabbath there. I really liked the Death From Above 1979 album, but I guess they broke up already. Plenty of good music out there. Sometimes you have to search for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    Metallica is good, even in their later years, but I could do without most of the pop-metal/hair metal bands of the late 80's.
    I assume that does not include the Scorpions, Whitesnake, Guns n Roses, Extreme, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Tesla, and a few other great ones.

By the way, what did the boy fall out of?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

The popularity of Blink 182 has spawned more wannabe bands than even the Backstreet Boys. Blink had a few songs that I listened to and enjoyed quite a bit, but the whole Good Charlotte, My Chemical Romance, Fallout Boy, etc. movement has completely passed me by - which leads me back to one of my favorite theories:

By age 30, you've heard all the music, watched all the movies and read all the comics/books you're going to like. Everything after that age "Sounds like (Zep, Stones, Pumpkins, Pixies, Dino Jr. whatever)" or "Reads like (Stephen King)" or whatever, because of your previous life experience. This goes hand in hand with the whole everything old is new again concept - which makes us so jaded after 30.

In other words, it's kind of our fault that everything sucks, not these new musicians, writers, artists, filmmakers, etc (though I'll stick with my other theory and say that they DO play a large role in the suckingness).
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Quote Originally Posted by GG
    I hate Fall Out Boy
    Me too, I hate them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I assume that does not include the Scorpions, Whitesnake, Guns n Roses, Extreme, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Tesla, and a few other great ones.
    Scorpions from Lovedrive through Love at First Sting. I'm not really familiar with their early stuff, though that "Robot Man" song Mabs used in his Rockin' Deuce video was pretty good. Only Extreme I am familiar with wasn't metal sounding. I liked that "Hole Hearted" tune, but not "More Than Words". Def Leppard through Pyromania was good. Never really got into Whitesnake. I think the only Tesla song I remember was "Signs", which was all right. Bon Jovi was good, but not quite my thing. "Runaway" was a good tune. Guns N' Roses was probably the best of the bunch, except for the period of the Scorpions that I mentioned.

Actually, when I think back to music from the 80's that I listened to, I am hard pressed to find something that I liked then that I still really like. I was a big fan of the Cars, and I still like them, but I don't like their later stuff as much as I used to. By the time I discovered the Talking Heads, they were past their best albums. I guess I still like some new wave stuff from the early 80's, but more just singles and not albums and groups in general. The 80's stuff that I listen to now I didn't know about when it was new: The Pixies and Fugazi. The whole grunge explosion of the early 90's kind of opened up the underground scene and made me pay a little bit more attention to that.

So, even if there isn't any good new music, there is still plenty of old stuff for me to go back and discover. I've got a long wish list of songs that I want to get in iTunes. A lot of them are songs from the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    By the way, what did the boy fall out of?
    I think it's like nuclear fallout, which is appropriate if their music makes you want to run for a bunker.

Quote Originally Posted by General_Grievous View Post
    And their crappy new single "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race". I really wish the @$$ kicking metal bands of the 80s like Motley Crue and Metallica would kick the s**t out of all these emo bands like Fall Out Boy (and Panic at the Disco). The music industry has really gone down the toilet.
    I'm not too familiar with Fall Out Boy since I do my best to stay clear of all the new "rock" bands.

Oh, Motley Crue sucks. Not as bad as Poison, but they suck nonetheless.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Quote Originally Posted by jjreason View Post
    The popularity of Blink 182 has spawned more wannabe bands than even the Backstreet Boys. Blink had a few songs that I listened to and enjoyed quite a bit, but the whole Good Charlotte, My Chemical Romance, Fallout Boy, etc. movement has completely passed me by - which leads me back to one of my favorite theories:

By age 30, you've heard all the music, watched all the movies and read all the comics/books you're going to like. Everything after that age "Sounds like (Zep, Stones, Pumpkins, Pixies, Dino Jr. whatever)" or "Reads like (Stephen King)" or whatever, because of your previous life experience. This goes hand in hand with the whole everything old is new again concept - which makes us so jaded after 30.

In other words, it's kind of our fault that everything sucks, not these new musicians, writers, artists, filmmakers, etc (though I'll stick with my other theory and say that they DO play a large role in the suckingness).
    I agree with this quite a bit. I think it was said well in the Smashing Pumpkins song "Love". It says "Love, it's who you know." I think this applies to music as well. I was born in 1970, so that is why I really enjoy the music of the 70's. I may not have liked it as much back then or maybe I didn't have an opinion at all. However, I was exposed to a lot of it, and now it is stuck in my brain somewhere. I hear it now and it is familiar and it takes me back. My late 70's and early 80's tastes were influenced by the albums my brother listened to. Early 90's I was in college here in the northwest when Nirvana hit it big, so a lot of the alternative stuff of that era was on my musical radar. The last few years have been influenced by whatever I happen to come across on internet radio or Music Choice. For regular radio, I sometimes tune into the local college station (KUGS) or CFOX out of Vancouver, BC. The other stations I might tune into are classic rock (KISM or CFMI).

So, these kids listening to this new stuff today don't know any better because it's just what they are exposed to.

What I find funny about the song is how its supposed to be "anti-scene" yet their fanbase is made up of a bunch of preteen screaming girls. About the only new so called "emo" band I like is My Chemical Romance, at least with The Black Parade it was a step away from that scene.

I think a lot of the music is missing something "big", like something to define the time the way Metallica did for Metal in the 80s, The Clash for punk in the 70s, etc. Nothing much original going on out there in the music world.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!