Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Opinions on best way to sell collection

Well, after years of buying the 3" figures, I've pretty much reached my wits end with it. My hats are off to those who can keep up with it. I guess what finally got me is the multiple release of the same figures over and over.

Anyway, I'm not getting out of SW completely. In fact, recently, I decided to start collecting more "premium" items like the Gentle Giant statues. Really, compared to what I was spending yearly on figures, I believe I will actually come out cheaper. And of course, I'll be keeping all my Lando items.

Anyway, I have just about every 3" figure from 1995 through Revenge of the Sith, and a good deal of vehicles. All of them are loose, but mint, and mostly complete (though the items are probably scattered in my giant pile of accessories.)

Just inventorying all of this stuff will take me at least a week I imagine. But I am curious what you guys think the best approach is to selling them. I'll most likely be doing it on ebay, or in forum classifieds. Should I sell them indivisually, or in groups, or on one giant lot? What do you think will maximize their value? Or is it even worth bothering with?
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

I've all but gotten out of actual "collecting" too, QLD, so I feel you on the frustration part.

As for selling your wares, I haven't sold en masse, but from what others here have said (Slick, KH and JT for example) selling in lots is the way to go. They've suggested selling by theme, character and movie. Another approach is to pick out a "rare" one and put in in a lot with some common "junk" that wouldn't fetch much on it's own.

Or you could just PM me a list and let me pick and choose a couple things I want for a fair price.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

I got rid of most of my loose and carded stuff, I felt around to see if anybody wanted stuff here and found a few homes, then I lot'ed em all up and let it ride....I pretty much segregated them by movie (as in, movie they first appeared in, not the card they came out of). That way, I had some TPM-era figs mixed in with POTJ TPM stuff as well as those Saga figs, you know ? Plus with some carded stuff, I would throw an army builder or two into a lot with some other ones. I would have different themes where I tied stuff together of similar interest while not ending up with some dead lots that wouldn't move.

I kept all of my really sentimental favorites as well as the stuff I got as Gifts over the years, but 75% or so of the crap I bought for myself over the years went out the door. Overall, I took a loss but hey I figured I had fun with that stuff over the years so I had some value there and then beyond that, since I lost interest for the most part, why keep a bunch of stuff packed up that I'm not enjoying? So I took $everal grand back this summer and I'm so happy about it.

Now for the most part I just look....I always look at the figure aisle because I like to see what is out and what's going on in the hobby but enough is enough, I had to get out. Once in awhile I buy an oddball piece at a convention in the summertime, but not much at all.

It just got to be much too much.

Sell it all to me for 10 bucks, easy, done, you pay shipping. Or offer it up as a prize in the Fantasy baseball league.

Seriously, What Cappy said. I know I wouldnt be to hard pressed ot get some of it, cherry pickin style thouhg as we all missed some here and there.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Garage sale and put your figures in a gallon bucket that reads:

25 cents each or 5 for a $1.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138 View Post
    I've all but gotten out of actual "collecting" too, QLD, so I feel you on the frustration part.

As for selling your wares, I haven't sold en masse, but from what others here have said (Slick, KH and JT for example) selling in lots is the way to go. They've suggested selling by theme, character and movie. Another approach is to pick out a "rare" one and put in in a lot with some common "junk" that wouldn't fetch much on it's own.

Or you could just PM me a list and let me pick and choose a couple things I want for a fair price.
    Actually, my advice has always been to stay away from selling in lots, lots generally lower the value of your best items considerably even though you're getting one big payday.

The best thing to do is to research what sells for what and how it's changed in finished auctions over the past month, watch for times and days where it does better and worse. Check to see if the loose version sells for more than the carded one (it does happen occasionally). Take as few pictures as necessary and say as little as possible in the auction description. Make sure to get the auction title right. Don't be afraid to start a hot item at a low price since it'll go up anyway or you can just pull it (but don't do reserve auctions, bidders stay away). Don't be afraid to sell items for LESS than you paid for them, it's still cheaper than storing them and by moving them it'll help you move your hotter items.

If you must do lots, keep them fairly small lots and batch them by themes.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Sell them as "Ultra rare" at a minumum bid of $25.00 per figure!

Sorry I can't be of more help, I still can't get myself to part with my collection.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Make sure you say any Unleashed Padmes are the rare, discontinued "perky" variant.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Thanks for the tips guys. Pretty much what I thought, but some good advice I will definitely use.

@ the perky variant.

The hardest part is going to be finding all of the accessories for the characters. I have a huge box of accessories that I don't have displayed with their figures.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

The only real decent advice I have is that you shouldn't sell your collection when you really just need the money. Because in that situation you are much more likely to settle for a small fraction of what everything is worth.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis