Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

You can't put a price on life.

Why is it that I hear that all the time, yet when some accident happens where someone gets killed families scramble to get there millions of dollars. To me this sounds like they're putting a price on life and the going rate is anywhere above $10,000,000.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I once read that, if the human body were broken into components and sold, an adult would go for something around $47.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

you're right, as elements we're worth diddly squat.

something that always amazes me is how so many of the truly rich are the dumbest schmucks going. And i'm not talking about business acumen or education qualified and being stupid but completely lacking in any sort of grace style poise, humility personality common sense. No life skills whatsoever. just dumb. and all their riches and posessions and behavior does is show them up to be that dumb. It's almost like fabulous wealth serves to ridicule the dumb of the world. just rewards really.

there again people only imitate the rich and famous because we're told that this is what we should aspire to. that we should ape these 'pillars of society'. so therefore the world becomes a litiginous place filled with wannabe dumb schmucks.

This lady I work with had a pet beta in the office. She talked to it all the time and thought it would respond to her. Naturally, I gave her crap for doing so. One day I told her, "It is hard to put a price on life, but when you see betas at Petsmart for $5..." Yeah, that ticked her off.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

I say Slicker is worth 3 bucks. I just put a price on you.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

$3 is a ripoff.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Slicker may only be worth $3.00 but Slicker's mom is priceless.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    Slicker may only be worth $3.00 but Slicker's mom is priceless.
    I heard the going rate was $68/hr.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Why is it that I hear that all the time, yet when some accident happens where someone gets killed families scramble to get there millions of dollars. To me this sounds like they're putting a price on life and the going rate is anywhere above $10,000,000.
    Are you decrying the idea that people are compensated when some jackass kills one of their family members, or simply the idea that we are prepared to monetize anything?

Let's pretend Slicker is an upstanding citizen with a lovely wife and three young children. As he is walking home one day, thinking righteous thoughts, he passes by a building. Unbeknownst to him, JON9000, a known drunkard, is about to start pitching beer bottles off the roof whilst decrying his pathetic life.

One of these beer bottles strikes down Slicker and kills him. Slicker's wife and children bring a wrongful death lawsuit against JON9000, to capture his trust fund, valued at 10 million dollars. At trial, JON9000 cavalierly looks at the former Slicker's beautiful wife and lovely children and sing-songs to them... "sorry, my darlings, but you shouldn't be putting a price on Slicker's life... for how can one put a price on life, you greedy people? Take a hike."

The jury reflects on the wisdom of JON9000's comments, sides with him, leaving Slicker's wife and children fatherless and poor. JON9000 goes directly back to the roof to pitch more bottles.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

FINALLY! Someone took it seriously.

I just hate the fact that people seem to lose sight of the death of the loved one and focus on getting the millions.

The Tobacco lawsuits come to mind immediately. I read a story wear the people are complaining about the limit put on there lawsuits. The one that made me write this thread was about the ferry accident in NYC where the judge said that there is no cap on the lawsuits so now these people can sue for stupid amounts of money.

I just hate how America is so sue happy and everyone is trying to get free money.

I guess we must live in a perfect world since accidents don't happen anymore.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!