Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Unleashed Minis line WILL fail...

...if Hasbro doesn't improve their quality control.

I saw several of the new ANH-themed sets last night, and they were almost without exception HORRIBLY PAINTED.

This line has had issues since the get-go with paint apps, though the Kashyyk wave was very, very good (you can see the whites of the Wookiees' eyes, and they are miraculously not cross-eyed); but several waves later, things are not getting better: they are getting worse. The stormtrooper and rebel blockade trooper sets are especially bad. This is unfortunate, since the "pure trooper" sets are to me the most attractive and desirable, and the most likely to sell.

I mean, it's one thing for a figure to have a bit of paint slop here, a black dot of paint there... but nearly all the stormies I saw had the black mouth lines painted below the actual sculpted mouth line. (The AT-AT Driver of last year's Hoth wave had this same issue.) There's really no excuse for this. For the rebels, well, it's more of the same wild-eyed, elfin stuff I've seen with the humans of the Hoth and Order 66 packs.

Don't get me wrong: the Wookiees and Snowtroopers of last year were fantastic. I'm really holding out hope that the upcoming Sandtrooper, Sandpeople, and Jawa sets are going to be all right. But at this rate, nobody is going to want to buy sets that increasingly seem to be hand-painted by howler monkeys, the sets are going to be clearanced, retailers won't order any more, and the line will die. It is destined to die, anyway, probably, but it is still viable if Hasbro will get with the program -- QUICKLY -- and address this issue.

I saw the new Unleashed minis at TRU yesterday. I didn't really pay attention to the paint apps. I thought that they weren't that interesting. I think that maybe Hasbro was on to something with the Hoth series. Having a Snowspeeder, Hoth lazer cannon, and a Tauntaun made the sets a little more interesting. I bought the whole set. Hasbro won't make ships anymore for this line. Even though the Snowspeeder didn't sell that well, that's what made me want to buy this line. Perhaps if they would have done the Snowspeeder in a window box it would have sold better. In my opinion, what good are these little static figures without some sort of structures, vehicles, beasts, or mechanical devices behind them to make them more attractive for displaying?

I did find two tatoonie sets the luke face one one sucked but the other face was fine he has some paint on his tunic but that adds to the acuracy of a dirty planet.

I've yet to see them at retail so I really can't comment. I will say that I was excited by the pics from Toy Fair on these sets and look forward to seeing them soon.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I saw these at Target last week, the paint wasn't too horrible on the ones I looked at except for Leia. I didn't really pay too much attention to them though, it could have been worse up-close than I noticed.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

And you are just figuring this out now? I knew this once it was announced.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

i've boycotted these since day 1.

The overall quality is crappy to me. Besides bad paint apps, I think the plastic used sucks too. Most of the figures I have seen have had droopy weapons, sabers, and lean funny. I might be interested in the line, but the fact that I would have a bunch of preposed figures with no movie-scene playsets to pose them in turns me off. I love my Hoth sets, but have passed on everything else for this reason.
    "For I am Palpatine, king of all I see,
    but I don't see enough
    that's the problem with me."

Quote Originally Posted by abell748 View Post
    The overall quality is crappy to me. Besides bad paint apps, I think the plastic used sucks too. Most of the figures I have seen have had droopy weapons, sabers, and lean funny. I might be interested in the line, but the fact that I would have a bunch of preposed figures with no movie-scene playsets to pose them in turns me off. I love my Hoth sets, but have passed on everything else for this reason.
    I am right with you. I too bought only the Hoth sets and I am displeased with them and the line as a whole. I love the big Unleashed and would buy any thing they made, if it was new not just a re-pack. I tried to turn Hoth Luke's head and it snaped off. These really are crap.
    I am Toyhunter80's
    Check my vintage weapons trade list. Updated post 19: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/sho...078#post519078
    I collect and play Star Wars Miniatures too. If you have some to trade check out my trade page
    http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=654716

Finally saw these today and was surprised by them. The packs I saw weren't as bad as most people are saying, the paint apps looked alright. I passed on them since I am now only collecting the 3 3/4 line, can't collect everything. I still might pick up the Stormies and the Leia set though.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks