Hot Toys 12" Warrant Officer Ripley

Received my Hot Toys Ripley today via Sideshow. My only complaint, and I was miffed when I saw the prototype ages ago(and even went so far as to email them on the subject)...Ripley's eyes are brown, not BLUE, guys!
    "In my experience there's no such thing as luck."

I am guessing that Sideshow is completely aware of that seeing as how everyone and their dead dog has been telling them about it since the preview. The likeness besides the eye color is way off as well. My guess is that they do not have the license for Sigourney Weaver's likeness. I think I will call Sideshow tomorrow for clarification.

I didn't order Ripley and I am sorry I didn't. When I saw the Loader, I knew I better get her ordered, but I got there too late.

I sure would appreciate some pics. How many grenades are on the harness?
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

Let me know how you make out with Sideshow. Don't have a digital camera, so sorry, no pics forthcoming. They're a pain to assemble over the body parts...I know Hicks & Scar Predator were. That's one thing I love about Medicom's RAH series...no mess, no fuss, no having to get them dressed!

Oh...My...God.

I just got Hot Toys' Ripley about 10 minutes ago. I HATE me for not having ever gotten any of Hot Toys' stuff before.

I pray now that Hot Toys someday does Star Wars. Hot Toys does "Models" and not 12" figures (so they say). So it seems to me that they COULD. And I will pay 150.00 for ANY "model" of a Star Wars character that they do as well as this Ripley. I will get pics and a review up ASAP if I decide not to wait for the Ripley that comes with the Power Loader.

The mannequin has a rubber torso over a plastic endoskeleton.

The detail and quality of the accessories shames even Sideshow.

I am now convinced that Hot Toys is the Benchmark of 12" glory.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

This is precisely why Hot Toys & Medicom RAH have gotten much of my business over Sideshow. I just can't excuse the fact they got Ripley's eye color wrong. Should be brown as you probably already know.

Quote Originally Posted by jonthejedi View Post
    This is precisely why Hot Toys & Medicom RAH have gotten much of my business over Sideshow. I just can't excuse the fact they got Ripley's eye color wrong. Should be brown as you probably already know.
    More and more I am convinced that HT did not get the license for the actor[FONT=Arial]'s likenesses. Even Vasquez has blue eyes. And I don't think ANY of the portraits look at all like the actors. Luckily for me that means nothing to me.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]I already have nearly enough Sideshow rewards points for Hudson. I think he will be next. He is in stock...I can get him (with the points) for like 40.00 shipped...it is nearly a done deal.[/FONT]

FYI - You cannot use reward points on Hot Toys products. Says so in the FAQ AND I called customer service to ask them and they said "No."

And no, Hot Toys does not have rights to do actor's likenesses. This has to do with the license granted by the studio who does not want to pay royalties to the actors. Fortunately a simple acrylic repaint can rectify that issue. These are marketed as "Action Figure Model Kits" so they were intended to be built, painted and customized.

Quote Originally Posted by decadentdave View Post
    FYI - You cannot use reward points on Hot Toys products. Says so in the FAQ AND I called customer service to ask them and they said "No."

And no, Hot Toys does not have rights to do actor's likenesses. This has to do with the license granted by the studio who does not want to pay royalties to the actors. Fortunately a simple acrylic repaint can rectify that issue. These are marketed as "Action Figure Model Kits" so they were intended to be built, painted and customized.
    Doesn't matter. I'll just use them on the Star Wars stuff and pay cash for the Hot Toys stuff. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Have you seen any publication about Hot Toys' license mentioning not getting the likenesses? Although it makes perfect sense (and I am glad they did it that way), I would like to check that out.

Once these things are put together, do they come apart? or are the connections permanent?

This post is not for those of you familiar with Hot Toys. It is for those who are not.

I put Ripley together last night and documented with pictures some of the key elements that I found to be what makes this figure worth 100.00 to me. I did not pic the detail of the accessories as those can be seen very well at Sideshow's website.

Further...I make no apologies for the pics. I am not a professional nor do I have any desire to act like one. I am just a shmoe with a digital camera and regular house lighting or flash.

The pictures below show:

1) The molded notches in the trays which hold the covers on the tray alleviating any necessity for tape. In fact, the only tape I found on the packaging was to hold the torch in place. And then there was also a small piece to bind the strap of the motion detector.

2) The foot articulation.

and

3) The shoulder articulation. This photo shows one of the shoulders "shrugging". Both shoulders will "shrug" or they will droop as if there is a heavy load on them. They will also move frontwards and backwards. In effect...this is as close as I have ever seen articulation come to mimicking the actual rotation ability of a normal human shoulder. Awesome.

A note about the torso on this figure: As I mentioned in an earlier post, it is unbelieveable. It is rubber over a plastic endoskeleton. That endoskeleton has 5 universal (ball-type) joints. 1 for the head, 2 for the shoulders and 2 for the mid-section (1 at the waist and 1 at the chest). This allows the figure the same articulation as the mannequins that are completely plastic. Thses do have a simple drawback. The ball-type articulation in the chest does allow for the ball side to be popped out of the socket side (similar to removing the head of a Hasbro #41 clone trooper). But it is VERY easily popped back in. One thing that is a real plus on a rubber torso is that the costume stays in place much better than on a smoother plastic torso. This has the effect of making tucking shirts into pants MUCH easier and look much nicer because there is almost no slip when pulling on the pants.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02989a.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	15324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02998a.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	15325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03001a.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	15326