Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Missed opportunity

If you guys were given another chance at a potentially missed opportunity, would you try and take? Or be happy with what you've chosen? I mean pretty much an life opportunity, career moves, romantic, academic, investment, you name it.

I've now found myself in one of these situations, and am really at a loss of what to do. I've deeply regretted not taking this opportunity the first time. But now I am left wondering if this is really a second chance or not. Nor am I sure the outcome will be different. So I defer to you guys.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Obviously choices we make along the path of life result in obligations, responsibilities and ramifications that are usually difficult if not impossible to just walk away from. So when a new opportunity or an old one in the form of a second chance arises, taking full advantage of it requires some measured thought as any decision will affect you and possibly others as well.

That said, life is terribly short, a realization that doesn't occur to many people until it is too late. Change is hard, but laying on your deathbed with regrets for what could have been will be harder.

So, if an opportunity arises that is something you truly wish for your life to have, my advice is to definitely go for it with everything you've got. Life is just too too short for anything else.

I totally agree with Stillakid's response. I've learned that I'd rather stumble into what could turn out well, than wait until I have everything arranged and planned for just the opportunity I want. This is especially true when it comes to dealing with other people - because their positions are not for you to determine. So take advantage of every opportunity.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

even if the outcome is the same, at least you gave it a shot. that would probably be of greater solace to you than passing up this opportunity, whatever it may be, not once but twice and then wondering if you really missed the boat.

I've been trying to live by "regret what you've done, not what you haven't" for the past few years, and for the most part it's worked out pretty well, but there are still MANY opportunities I would go back and take if I could - there is a very powerful line that decides this for me, I'm not sure I could quantify it but it's definitely there, I can see lots of situations I would let stay as they were and I can see some I would almost certainly change.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I've been trying to live by "regret what you've done, not what you haven't" for the past few years,
    I've been doing the same since University.

I honestly believe that regret is a waste of energy. What is done, is done. If you can correct it, do it. If you can't, learn from your mistakes, and try not to repeat them.
    To those that like to critize me, I say: It is a lot easier to say something critical than it is to say some thing while tied up and in my trunk. - Jack Handy

Dont regret anything you did. Never second guess yourself. Go with your gut instinct in life and it will be all good. If I had a chance to do it differently, I wouldnt.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Regret can keep you honest, regret can be a friend on your journey to remind you to make the correct turn next time, and to try to do better by those you've harmed in the past - including yourself. Regret is a natural emotion, but it should be kept in its place.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Thanks for your input guys. I had more or less decided what to do before starting this thread, but just wanted some reassurance. At this point I can't really do anything, the other party is absent for a month. My situation would requirer a fair amount of explanation, so maybe I go into the details latter. I will say this is one of those cases where I never thought I'd have a second chance.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

I'm pretty much with everyone else, best to go with your "gut" or what feels right. Sure, that can still lead to regret in many situations but at least you've given it your all. I think everyone has regret at some point or about something they've done, but I think its best to try to remember the past but move on(hard to do!).

Good luck in your situation LS
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!