Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Does Willrow Hood make Hasbro angry?

So this was a Q&A from Hasbro at CreatureCantina.com:

CreatureCantina.com: You've announced previously that in 2008 you'll be revisiting Bespin for a wave figures. Will you include Willrow Hood in that wave? If not, do you realize collectors will storm the Hasbro parking lot and smash the windows out of all your cars? Rhode Island is a small state... we'll find you. I mean, to do a Bespin wave at this point and NOT include Willrow? You may as well just spit in all our faces.

Hasbro: We will base any future Empire wave (realizing that not all Empire waves are Bespin-focused) on the most important characters that we feel need to be re-visited or new ones that should be introduced, and not simply because he was the 10th-ranked figure in the fans' choice poll. At some point, you will probably see a Willrow figure, but not in 2008, so the community will have to be patient.

Hasbro seems a bit testy in this answer (which I guess could stem from the suggestion that employees' cars will be vandalized). However, I wonder if Hasbro is pretty annoyed with the Willrow Hood situation. I have often said that it isn't necessarily a figure that people want for any reason other than they find the idea of it getting made hilarious. It seems to me Hasbro is agitated because it knows that this figure will probably not sell well, but also knows that it needs to keep fans happy. Hasbro knows that at this point many fans actually want this figure, but Hasbro may not feel the reason fans want this figure is legitimate. My thought is they had a poll. Willrow came in 10th. They need to just buck up and make the figure. I suggest putting him in a battle pack with some main characters and get over it.

If someone asked me a question in that fashion they'd be lucky to get an answer as nice as Hasbro gave. What an idiot.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

I agree that the question was phrased ridiculously. I'm skeptical if they really posed it that way.

However, there's several things about Wilrow Hood (ICMG):

1) I would buy 1 figure of him and use him in my Cloud City scene as background ambiance, the same way I use Bo Shek or Labria. No big deal there.

2) They could repaint the darn Naboo Flight Technician figure (Saga2 Wave 7) and give him a new head and hands, and the Ice Cream Maker prop, and that would basically do it. I sometimes feel that this generic jumpsuit body was made for its multi-use purpose in this manner. Anyway, I've never really studied Wilrow Hood's outfit that well to know if that will do it.

3) Yes, Wilrow is one of those figures that everyone wants to vote for just to see if they can get him made because he's so obscure. Past successes were Wuher and Jek Porkins I think, the latter which was often considered a joke, though both had speaking lines. Bo Shek was somewhat justified even though you couldn't hear him talking to Obi-Wan. All that being said, I think Wilrow will get a figure because of reasons #1 & 2 above and that he placed highly on the poll - for all 3 of these reasons. For a while, I had demand for a Nyrat Agira figure in my signature line here as I thought she'd be funny in the same sense, harder to get since she was a prequel figure, but nevertheless, an attractive one that people would buy if given the option (she's one of the girls in thongs and lace in the Outlander than Anakin and Obi-Wan check out).

So when we're scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for new stuff (Hasbro's made at least 20 of SirSteve's Top 50 Most Wanted that we polled for now, with indications that we can expect maybe 3 more at the least), characters like Wilrow Hood and Nyrat Agira will be good choices for collector figures amongst all the resculpts / repacks they'll need to keep doing every year. The TV shows and EU might supply diversification options though versus making these really obscure movie figures.

So some of you will have different views on Talon Karrde versus Nyrat Agira. Me? I'd buy both, but don't pine for Yarna like some of you do.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

My take is that Hasbro is sick of getting the same question every week about the same 2 or 3 characters. I'm the same way when I'm teaching labs, especially after saying the fact in question during the pre-lab lecture. It was important enough for them to say it at the "big announcement times", Toy Fair, ComicCon, C4, etc. Does anyone really think that anything has changed in that time given that there's a lead time of 9-18 months to make a figure? It just seems to be a waste of a question any time a site submits "When will we see character X made?".
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

not for nothing if I was in charge of the design team and was asked a question in that fashion I would refuse to even consider making the figure. I mean we are talking about a guy who has what 3 seconds of film ??? I mean there are other figures that deserve the plastic treatment well before ICMG.

Whoever asked this question has some serious issues.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArtist View Post
    I mean we are talking about a guy who has what 3 seconds of film ??? I mean there are other figures that deserve the plastic treatment well before ICMG.

Whoever asked this question has some serious issues.
    But I have serious issues, too! (though maybe a little more tact in this case).

However, if I might quote a genius:

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho. SSG's Resident Genius
    3) Yes, Wilrow is one of those figures that everyone wants to vote for just to see if they can get him made because he's so obscure....For a while, I had demand for a Nyrat Agira figure in my signature line here as I thought she'd be funny in the same sense, harder to get since she was a prequel figure, but nevertheless, an attractive one that people would buy if given the option (she's one of the girls in thongs and lace in the Outlander than Anakin and Obi-Wan check out).
    So there are fans that actually want to see if they can put strength enough behind a petition to get Hasbro to make a figure they could arguably lose money on (Hey Jokesters: Daultry Dofine and Tey How are just begging for this honor to follow up Lushros' great performance on the pegs!)

In all seriousness, how about some battlepacks with all-new figures in the latest "scene style" packaging to get some of these out?

The Invasion of Cloud City:

1) Stormtrooper
    2) Imperial Officer (Jeremy Bulloch)
    3) Wilrow Hood (w. ICM)
    4) Treva Horme (alien)
    5) new Ugnaught w. conveyor belt and C-3PO parts from Chewie figure

The Revenue (Trade Federation Ship):

1) Dautry Dofine
    2) Tey How w. command chair
    3) Pilot Battle Droid
    4) Pilot Battle Droid
    5) Destroyer Droid w. Shield

The Lars Homestead

1) Owen
    2) Beru
    3) Cliegg
    4) Eopie beast
    5) Obi-Wan w. baby Luke
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I don't know about Hasbro but Willrow Hood makes me angry.

I never understood the whole Willrow fanbase. Yarna I can understand because she has a unique look that would make for a cool figure, but Willrow's just a guy in a jumpsuit with an ice cream maker. Of course I'd buy him, but I wouldn't treat it like it was the second coming.
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

I think many of the sites should lay off asking about Woodrow at least until the end of the TAC line has been anounced. It seems Hasbro is tired of being asking the same questions about when we are going to get a Woodrow and a Yarna.

and Tycho, don't worry My Wife tells me I have ISSUES all the time. To this day she can't fathom why I love Star Wars or collect action figures. I only thing is I know I have ISSUES but I love telling her that I Don't.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks