Page 67 of 1043 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167567 ... LastLast
    That sucks JodyB. My condolensces. I've experienced bi-polar attitude change with collectors / scalpers before myself. I don't know where it comes from or what instigates it. I just suspect they are mental cases in some small way.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    That sucks JodyB. My condolensces. I've experienced bi-polar attitude change with collectors / scalpers before myself. I don't know where it comes from or what instigates it. I just suspect they are mental cases in some small way.
    I snapped at him after I heard him talking about me... there's no need for that... I think I'm done for a while...

You shouldn't be done just because of what someone says about you.

1) That they are even talking about you means that you are somehow important in their lives.

2) You are probably important in their lives because you offer them competition towards the only thing they care about (finding their little toys at Target / TRU etc.) What does that say about them?

3) Hiding from someone like this is so not worth it. Perhaps someone who's so reality challenged as this guy will become intimidated by you continually being there and change stores themselves even?

I got into ONE fight over action figures in my 12 years back at this hobby. There is apparently an unwritten rule (at least down here in my neck of the woods) that the order you arrive outside of the store to wait in the morning is the order that you enter. It does make sense when you think about it. Just when I was younger and started this as a teenager, I didn't pay attention to that. There were just a few 40 -50 year old adults hanging out there with interest in acting as scalpers or something, and I was there to buy for ME at retail, not pay them for doing what I wouldn't be too lazy to do for myself.

So there was one guy who used to even come up to my car and converse with me and my little brother when we would go out searching for the stuff. I liked him and he was always nice. He'd first go to Hot Wheels when the doors opened, so I never really thought he was too concerned with what I did in the Star Wars isle. He'd come over to Star Wars when he was done with Hot Wheels or if there weren't any. Since I army-built / might hoarde due to my collecting circle, he never seemed to buy much Star Wars. He was there though, so I'd offer to share what I'd found. Once in a while I think he'd accept and he'd even offer me things in his stash, I think. It was 7:05 in the morning and I'm sure we each would have rather been shopping at 10am instead, but we don't have that luxury in this hobby.

Anyway, I was to learn that because I might arrive later but launch myself in the doors when they opened, I earned his contempt. I thought no one else cared. I wasn't going to their Hot Wheels. I never touch the cars - in 12 years! But he suddenly stopped speaking to me. I'd say "hello" to him or initiate conversation, and he'd just ignore me and stare straight ahead. I thought, "whatever." It was his problem not mine.

Anyway, I never stopped going to the same stores. Finally, one day, ironically I think it was the Christmas season (how ironic of course), that he threw an arm out and blocked my way. Then he tried to hold me back away from the toy isles. He said I was either ignorant or "a jerk," though he used language I'd be censored over here. It was the first thing he'd said to me in like a year. An intelligent, mature human being would have discussed a problem with me a long time ago instead of obviously ignore a problem they had with me. (I think he actually explained things to me then - while we were pushing each other - or it was another collector that did so later. I don't remember). Anyway, I guess he thought I'd have backed down. On the contrary, if he'd have thrown a punch, I would have finished it. I think I surprised him because I'm smaller and had no fear and was ready and well trained to grapple or fight if necessary. That wasn't going to be a solution.

In any case, I would not be intimidated. Funny thing is, he barely ever shows up at my stores any more. I saw him this past week at Toys R Us - a store I rarely go to actually. I just usually do Target, sometimes Wal-Mart (but they're 24 hr now - annoying actually).

But while I'd rather not deal with someone like that - they seem to rather not want to deal with me. If I keep going, they do not. All the same, if he starts talking to me again, I'll talk to him and let by-gones by by-gones. I don't know if he knows this. I don't care. The world's a better place if we all could get along. But for those that won't get along with me - I'll stand taller.

I suggest you never surrender, JodyB. Go kick some butt for the SSG Team!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Aaaahhhh, another essay about life and collecting from good ol' Tycho. LOL!! It's fun to read your stuff.

Man, I'd never let some idiot take something from my hand. I don't care if it's an action figure or a gallon of milk. That's one thing that would probably set me off. I've heard of it happening, but I've never seen anyone be so bold. Most of the guys I see in my area I'm fairly confident I can kick across the parking lot. Not that I'm Conan the Collector mind you--but let's just say the macho threshold isn't very high.

I haven't been hitting the stores recently. I still have not seen a McFett around my area, even when I do hit the stores. I'm probably just not there at the right time. You miss a day and you never know what you miss.
    Galactic Barn Burner

That totally blows Jody. I remember at Target opening on 4/2 I got to the pegs first and found me a few red Royal Guards(they only had three and I had em all). I handed the other 2 to people there that were looking for them. A few months later one guy started popping about me on another forum and tried to callme a scalper. I confronted him on his board and actually he apologized and we became good collecting friends hooking eachother up. At least mine has a happy ending. Let me know if ya want me to fly out to LA and head butt him for ya.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Figrin Bran are you going on the Thursday and if so did you get guest passes with your C4 Badge.

Quote Originally Posted by santosha View Post
    Figrin Bran are you going on the Thursday and if so did you get guest passes with your C4 Badge.
    no and no, sorry.

No pass for me yet. Hopefully it'll show up today...
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]
    [/FONT]