Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up

Sorry, JT, but the Webster's New World College Dictionary (4th Edition) defines race as, among other things, "any of the different varieties or populations of human beings distinguished by physical traits such as hair, eyes, skin color, body shape, etc."

By that definition, not only can races be classified by skin color, but we fat people can be a race of our own as well. So may blue-eyed people, or brown-haired people.

This post is intended as information only. It is in no way intended to further hate mongering as I see race as being nothing more than a neutral adjective when it is applied to describing a person, and I see only two kinds of people. And they are those who derive pleasure from acting positively(at least most of the time) and those who derive pleasure from acting negatively. And it takes all kinds to make the big blue marble spin.

(Steps away from pulpit)
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

Originally posted by Darth Cruel
    Sorry, JT, but the Webster's New World College Dictionary (4th Edition) defines race as, among other things, "any of the different varieties or populations of human beings distinguished by physical traits such as hair, eyes, skin color, body shape, etc."

By that definition, not only can races be classified by skin color, but we fat people can be a race of our own as well. So may blue-eyed people, or brown-haired people.
    Somebody has proven JT wrong for once?
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

Let me quote the American Heritage 4th edition dictionary's passage on this:

[FONT=arial]
    Usage Note: The notion of race is nearly as problematic from a scientific point of view as it is from a social one. European physical anthropologists of the 17th and 18th centuries proposed various systems of racial classifications based on such observable characteristics as skin color, hair type, body proportions, and skull measurements, essentially codifying the perceived differences among broad geographic populations of humans. The traditional terms for these populations -- Caucasoid (or Caucasian), Mongoloid, Negroid, and in some systems Australoid -- are now controversial in both technical and nontechnical usage, and in some cases they may well be considered offensive. (Caucasian does retain a certain currency in American English, but it is used almost exclusively to mean “white” or “European” rather than “belonging to the Caucasian race,” a group that includes a variety of peoples generally categorized as nonwhite.) The biological aspect of race is described today not in observable physical features but rather in such genetic characteristics as blood groups and metabolic processes, and the groupings indicated by these factors seldom coincide very neatly with those put forward by earlier physical anthropologists. Citing this and other points -- such as the fact that a person who is considered black in one society might be nonblack in another -- many cultural anthropologists now consider race to be more a social or mental construct than an objective biological fact.

[/FONT]

While Infoplease.com says this:
    [FONT=arial]
    The term race is inappropriate when applied to national, religious, geographic, linguistic, or ethnic groups, nor can the biological criteria of race be equated with mental characteristics, such as intelligence, personality, or character.

[/FONT]

So in SOME schools of thought, GNT's statement is correct, but not all. Nass and Jar Jar have totally different physical characteristics, they're not built the same in big ways.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The other gungans (the ones that look like Boss Nass advisors) they seem different also, or maybe is the hat they are wearing...
    As always...........L

Toads and Frogs

Actually, toads and frogs are members of the order Anura. From there they are split into 29 families, then numerous genera, species, and sub-species. The various Gungans appear to be different sub-species, or possibly different species of the same genus.

Well, that was anal.
    "Three goofballs and a guy in a monkey suit."

Cool

Come on guys, sing along with me...

"Ebony and Ivory
    live together in perfect harmony.
    Side by side on my piano keyboard..."
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas