Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    JJL, was it Bon or Bryan handling lead vocals? They sound vastly different. Bon was better overall, but Bryan did do the honors on "You Shook Me All Night Long," one of the best songs ever.

I've had AC/DC in my collection for quite some time. They never get old.

The Cars I've always liked, but until recently only had the 2-disc hits album from about ten years ago. Thanks to the otherwise stupid "Essential 200" list that just came out, though, Costco had The Cars for a great price, and now I have it, too. (Though there's only like two songs that weren't on Just What I Needed already.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

After looking it up, I guess it was Brian, and here is the album (I only got the second disc). From what I've heard of Bon's stuff, I do like his vocals better overall. Brian's stuff hurts my throat just listening to it.

Yeah, that's not a bad live set, but Brian isn't at the top of his game on that one.

Check out Back in Black and let me know what you think then. :mabs:
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I also have Back in Black (pretty much the only other album of theirs that I have, in addition to the songs Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap and Big Balls). I haven't listened to it since last summer but I do remember it being pretty good. Not really enough to warrant calling them one of my "favorite bands," though. From what I recall, most of the songs sound alike, but I'll likely give it a re-listen within the next few days.

Even so, if all the songs sound alike, but they all sound like "You Shook Me All Night Long," that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

High Voltage is a really good Bon Scott AC/DC album, and includes the only heavy metal bagpipe solo that I'm aware of.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Even so, if all the songs sound alike, but they all sound like "You Shook Me All Night Long," that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    I'd rather they all sounded like "Let There Be Rock".

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    High Voltage is a really good Bon Scott AC/DC album, and includes the only heavy metal bagpipe solo that I'm aware of.
    Yes, "It's a Long Way to the Top if You Wanna Rock and Roll", is an excellent tune.

This was part of the review of the Live album on allmusic.com

By and large, AC/DC on a bad night are still usually better than most bands on a good one, but Live feels more like a greatest-hits album with crowd noise than a true live album. Still, a better buy than the edited, single-disc version.

AC/DC is one of my favorite bands. I like that Live album for the alternate lyrics they use on The Jack.

I think I posted this in another thread. This was in the liner notes for the remastered version of Let There Be Rock:
    Angus set the tone and led the sessions by example during the recording of the rock 'n' roll history lesson that is the album's title track. His amplifier caught fire midway through but under frantic instructions from George he continued playing. By song's end the amp head was a smoldering puddle of wiring and valves and Angus' guitar had absorbed part of his tiny body weight in sweat.
    That's what rock and roll is all about. However, if you want to go in a different direction, listen to Mark Kozelek's What's Next To The Moon. An entire album of AC/DC covers that aren't recognizable as AC/DC songs. I heard one of the songs while listening to Indie Pop Rocks on somafm.com. I think it was "Riff Raff." Something seemed familiar about it, but then I heard the chorus and realized what I was listening to. Pretty much slow acoustic folksy bluesy tunes.

Well, next up is Alice in Chains. Not Allison Chains, Alice in Chains.

I recall hearing "Man in the Box" on the radio when it was new. Then I saw the video on MTV and thought it was kind of cool that a Seattle band was getting some national exposure. This was all a year before Nirvana's breakthrough.

Early 1992 brought their Sap EP and I recall hearing some of the songs on the radio. These songs were more acoustic, and they had a little help from some friends. "Brother" and "Am I Inside" had Ann Wilson providing some backing vocals. "Right Turn" is listed as being performed by Alice Mudgarden, since Mark Arm of Mudhoney and Chris Cornell of Soundgarden provided some vocals.

Later in 1992, Dirt was released. That means I'm older than Dirt. Several good tunes on there, but half of them were about being a junkie.

Early 1994 brought Jar of Flies, another EP that was more acoustic than their heavier full length releases. It's been a while since I listened to this one. That was also the last AIC release I bought (though I may have actually purchased their first release, Facelift, after that). I didn't really keep up with them after that. I recall hearing the Unplugged version of "Over Now" on the radio, so I totally missed their self-titled album that came out before that.

Alice in Chains was lumped in with the Seattle grunge scene, but they, along with Soundgarden, seemed to fit more of a heavy metal style, whereas Nirvana was closer to punk. So, AIC = grungy metal, Nirvana = grungy punk.

I liked Dirt and Jar of Flies, I had them both back in the day.

Them Bones was a good jam