Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Well, to wrap up Alice in Chains, here are my favorite tunes:

Facelift - "We Die Young", "Man in the Box", "Sea of Sorrow", "Bleed the Freak", and "It Ain't Like That". "It Ain't Like That" was one of the songs they performed in the movie Singles.

Sap - "Brother", "Got Me Wrong", "Right Turn", and "Am I Inside", which is the entire EP except for an odd track at the end.

Dirt - "Down in a Hole" is my favorite. "Rain When I Die" and "Rooster" are also very good.

Next up is Tori Amos. I think I first heard her in August of 1992. I was visiting my sister, who lived in Omaha at the time. I was in a record store and I realized that this song that I was hearing was Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" being performed by a woman and her piano. There was also a cover of The Rolling Stones' "Angie" and Led Zeppelin's "Thank You". I didn't know who it was until much later. Later that year or early in 1993, a college roommate bought the "Winter" EP, so that was when I first heard her name. I don't know when I realized she was the one that did the Nirvana cover.

Early 1994 saw the release of Under the Pink. I recall the video for "God", and I think I saw "Crucify" on an episode of Beavis & Butt-Head. Shortly thereafter, I purchased Under the Pink. I didn't remember which song I had seen on Beavis & Butt-Head, so it was much later that I realized that it was "Crucify" and that it was from her previous album, Little Earthquakes.

I eventually would get all of her albums up through Scarlet's Walk, but did not get her last one, The Beekeeper (or as I like to say, The Beak Eeper). However, I usually was a bit behind on getting the CDs. I think I got Boys For Pele when it was fairly new. I remember hearing the song "Caught A Light Sneeze" on the radio, and I saw her perform it on SNL. From The Choirgirl Hotel was one I got by forgetting to respond to my Columbia House mailing. I didn't mind though, since it was Tori Amos. I didn't get into that album as much at the time, but it does have some good tunes on it.

She has a new album due out May 1. The song "Big Wheel" is available on iTunes now. I heard the whole song on her website, and it sounds pretty good. I'll have to give the rest of the album a sample when it is released. Maybe I'll get this one.

What? No love here for Myra Ellen?

There's another song available for preview on her site called "Bouncing off Clouds." I like the sound of it. There is also a clip for "Teenage Hustling" which sounds all right as well. Perhaps I will pick up American Doll Posse when it is released. The promo for it is kind of interesting. There are several different personas that she takes on, and there are blogs from each character scattered across the net. Each week, she introduces a new member of the posse on her website.

Yeesh, give everyone time. Nothing we do is good enough for you; should we crucify ourselves?

I had no idea who "Myra Ellen" was until I looked it up. I always thought her real name was Tori.

I really like most of her stuff, the more toned-down and confessional, the better. It always irks me when I see these "Best [number] Albums of [All Time/The 90s/The Last 20 Years]" and Little Earthquakes isn't on there. Damn, that album is great.

When she remixes stuff, or does techno, it's not nearly as interesting. I can't stand most of Strange Little Girls for this reason. It's impossible to hear what she did to, say, "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" and not think, "Man, this would be great if it were just her and a piano."

Despite my tastes for her lower-key stuff, both From the Choirgirl Hotel and The Beekeeper were excellent albums. You should really check out Beekeeper. Personally, it's my favorite since Under the Pink (though Boys for Pele grows on me every time I hear it).

A couple of months ago, I went in on a weekend to help my wife with schoolwork. Some of her yearbook students, all girls, were there, and I put in the Crucify single. Unanimously, they asked what the hell it was and said it sucked. My wife, who's not nearly as into music as I am, figured it was "That 90s chick who's a ripoff of Kate Bush" (as if--Kate only had one great song!).

I was dumbfounded. I mean, 18-ish nerdy girls who don't like Tori? What the hell is the world coming to?

And, for the record, most metalheads I've known love Tori, too, and not because of that infamous first album.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Yeesh, give everyone time. Nothing we do is good enough for you; should we crucify ourselves?
    Well, it had been five days and my heart was sick of being in chains.

I really like most of her stuff, the more toned-down and confessional, the better. It always irks me when I see these "Best [number] Albums of [All Time/The 90s/The Last 20 Years]" and Little Earthquakes isn't on there. Damn, that album is great.
    That's a good album and it did get a lot of praise, but I don't like it as much as Under the Pink. I like about every track on that one. From Little Earthquakes, I like "Winter", "Crucify", and "Precious Things" the best, and "Girl" and "Silent All These Years" are pretty good too.

When she remixes stuff, or does techno, it's not nearly as interesting. I can't stand most of Strange Little Girls for this reason. It's impossible to hear what she did to, say, "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" and not think, "Man, this would be great if it were just her and a piano."
    I didn't get into that album either. I do like the title track though.

Despite my tastes for her lower-key stuff, both From the Choirgirl Hotel and The Beekeeper were excellent albums. You should really check out Beekeeper. Personally, it's my favorite since Under the Pink (though Boys for Pele grows on me every time I hear it).
    From the Choirgirl Hotel I think was the one I got when I forgot to respond to the Columbia House mailing. I think at first I didn't get into it much either. Listening to tracks more recently, I realize I actually like quite a few. "Spark", "Cruel", "Raspberry Swirl", and "Black-Dove (January)" are my favorites. Boys for Pele has some good tunes as well, but there are a lot of tracks so I haven't listened to the whole thing in a long time. I'll have to listen closer to the clips on iTunes again to see about The Beekeeper. I'm definitely interested in getting the new album though.

My wife, who's not nearly as into music as I am, figured it was "That 90s chick who's a ripoff of Kate Bush" (as if--Kate only had one great song!).
    I never heard of Kate Bush until "Running Up That Hill". Later I learned that Pat Benatar's "Wuthering Heights" was a Kate Bush tune. I listened to a few clips recently of some other tunes.

And, for the record, most metalheads I've known love Tori, too, and not because of that infamous first album.
    I'd still be interesting in hearing Y Kant Tori Read.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    I'd still be interesting in hearing Y Kant Tori Read.
    I've been searching for a copy of it, or for the MP3's, for a long time. It'd be interesting to hear, but from the little they played on her Behind the Music special, definitely not worth what copies sell for. Even bootlegs of it sell for a pretty penny.

I'd actually be just as interested in hearing it to hear what Matt Sorum was up to prior to the Cult.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

playing catch-up...

AC/DC = Great. Love AC/DC. They never get old. I have to say, I even like (and bought) that last album, Stiff Upper Lip.

Alice in Chains = No opinion. Just not my thing.

Tori Amos = No opinon. Same thing... not my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    That 90s chick who's a ripoff of Kate Bush
    That's a really funny observation.
    plasticfetish.net

Entertainment Weekly has reviewed Tori's new album and only gave it a C+.

Now I shall move on to the rest of the A's in my collection, since these are artists I only have one CD of each.

First is Aldo Nova's self-titled debut. Actually, I guess this should be filed under N, but I had him filed under A on my CD list. Anyway, I recall either my brother or sister playing this tape a lot when it was new. Of course, "Fantasy" was and still is a great track. I seem to recall my sister liking the ballad "Ball and Chain". Overall, a pretty decent album, though it sort of was the template for a lot of stuff that came later that didn't appeal to me as much. As the Allmusic.com review put it,
    Aldo Nova doesn't get enough credit (some cynics would say blame) for helping invent the 1980s pop-metal genre, which focused equally on hard rocking anthems and soaring power ballads. Aldo Nova appeared in 1982 complete with irresistible melodies and choruses, explosive guitar licks, and huge-sounding drums. It was a full year or more before Def Leppard, Night Ranger, Bon Jovi, and others would latch on to this formula and rocket to stardom. Nova wrote, produced, arranged, and performed his double-platinum debut album by himself, except for drums and some bass guitar and piano parts.

American Analog Set - The Fun Of Watching Fireworks - Back in 2002, I upgraded to Mac OS X, and with it came iTunes. Before that, I hadn't listened to a lot of internet radio, but this made it a bit easier. Among some of the preset stations on iTunes was somafm.com's Indie Pop Rocks. Most of the bands I heard there were new to me, or if I was familiar with the name, I wasn't familiar with the music. I would hear a song, and then go look up the artist on allmusic.com. There are several CD's that I bought because I had heard them on Indie Pop Rocks. This was one of them, though it took me a while to get around to buying this one. The song I had heard on the station was "Gone To Earth". Allmusic.com's description of them is drone-pop. That seems like an accurate description.

Leah Andreone - Veiled - I bought this based on the single "It's All Right, It's OK". I guess I wasn't impressed with the rest of the album. I've not listened to it in a long time. Apparently she was on the inaugural Lilith Fair Tour, but she only put out one other album after that. She does have a newer EP on iTunes and some other places.

Angel City - Face To Face - This is an album that my brother had. This was an Australian band that was originally called The Angels. They were discovered by AC/DC in 1976 and later toured with them. They had to change their name to Angel City in the Northern Hemisphere to avoid confusion with another band. I believe that this album is actually an American release that compiled songs from prior releases, including a different Face to Face album with different tracks. I know I looked them up on Allmusic.com a few years ago and the track listing was totally different, and some of the songs that I remember were listed on other albums. Now Allmusic.com shows the track listing for this version, and I bought it a few months ago after noticing that. In 1990, I recall hearing a new song called "Dogs Are Talking", and they were being called the Angels again. Looking on Allmusic.com now, I see that they were actually being called "The Angels from Angel City", which confused things more. No matter, this version of Face to Face is still a great album. Great that I finally got it on CD. I hadn't listened to my taped copy in a long time.

A Produce - White Sands - An A Produce Anthology 1988-1994 - When I got into internet radio in 2002, another station I discovered was Astreaux World. It plays ambient, electronic, new age and space music. There were a couple songs from A Produce that I liked, and one of them, "This Heat", is on this disc.

Not familiar with the new stuff you listed, but I can count the number of times I've agreed with EW on one hand while making a fist.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Not familiar with the new stuff you listed, but I can count the number of times I've agreed with EW on one hand while making a fist.
    Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. It's the same with any critic. If I like the sound of something, that's all that matters.

Certainly you must have at least heard of Aldo Nova. After posting that, I was thinking of posting "Fantasy" in the most recognizable openings thread. I think my brother gave me the CD for Christmas one year. I also have his second LP Subject on vinyl, which was also a Christmas gift from my brother.

Here are some more A artists. These are songs I've purchased through iTunes. First up are a couple of early 80's hits

A Flock of Seagulls - "I Ran" & After The Fire - "Der Kommissar"
    After The Fire was pretty much a one hit wonder with that song. Falco recorded a German version of it around the same time, a couple years before his more famous "Rock Me Amadeus". A Flock of Seagulls did a little better than just the one hit. "Space Age Love Song" and "Photograph" were also popular, but that was about it for them. Several years later when I was in college, they played a show at a local club. I didn't go, but they didn't get a good review in the college newspaper.

AFI - "Miss Murder" - I first heard of them when I heard "Silver and Cold". While I like that song, they are not really a band that I am into. However, I do like some of their singles, including this one from their latest album

Air - "Sexy Boy" & "Cherry Blossom Girl" - I heard "Sexy Boy" one day when the song was fairly new, so probably 1998 or 1999. I think I was in the truck listening to the college radio station while my mom was in the grocery store shopping. Years later when I move into my house, I hear "Cherry Blossom Girl" on the Music Choice Alternative station quite often. The vocals on both of these songs sound like a female voice, but I believe they are both just a guy's voice made to sound that way.

All - "Nobody's" - A college roommate had this on CD. I put it on a mix tape. Now I have a digital version.

Lily Allen - "Smile" (Radio Edit) - This was an iTunes single of the week. Not something I ordinarily listen to, but it was a catchy song and it was free.

Ambrosia - "Holdin' On to Yesterday" - Soft rock hit of the 70's. I first heard of this band when they had a couple hits from their album One Eighty. A friend of mine liked it and had the album. Didn't really interest me much, but "Biggest Part of Me" was a decent song. Years later, I hear "Holdin' On to Yesterday" used in an episode of Touched By An Angel. The song was familiar, but I didn't realize it was Ambrosia until I looked it up. Now that I have iTunes, I've been going through and picking a couple songs from each year, and eventually when I have enough songs, I be able to burn a disc for each year.

James Asher - "Earth Song" - Another song I heard on the ambient station Astreaux World. I very pleasant, relaxing tune.

At the Drive-In - "One Armed Scissor" - I had heard people in AOL chatrooms talking about At the Drive-In and Mars Volta, a band formed by former members of ATDI. However, I wasn't familiar with their music. One day, I hear this song on Music Choice Alternative, and I thought it rocked. I later saw a video on Comcast On-Demand, which mostly featured the band performing. They performance style certainly matched the music. High energy and chaotic.