Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    One other thing about that Beatles movie I referenced above - It was directed by Richard Marquand, director of Return of the Jedi.

On to some more music.

Beck - Odelay - It has been a while since I have listened to the whole thing. I know I like "Where It's At", "Devil's Haircut", "The New Pollution" and "Novacane". I don't remember the rest of the songs. Some of his newer stuff is pretty good, but I didn't want to get the whole album. So I also have the following songs that I bought from iTunes:

"Loser" from Mellow Gold
    "E-Pro" from Guero
    "Heaven Hammer" from Guerolito, which is a remix of the song "Missing" from Guero.

I was familiar with "Loser" when it was new. I think it was near the end of my last year of college. When I heard the name Beck, I was thinking Jeff Beck. Not knowing what Jeff Beck looked like, I wasn't sure if it was him, but he did seem too young to be the same person. The latter two songs I heard a lot on Music Choice when they were new a couple years ago. "Nausea" and "I Think I'm In Love" are on my list of songs to get.

His most recent performance on SNL was pretty cool. They had marionettes off to the side some place that were emulating what the band was doing on stage.

Beck is very hit-and-miss. Sea Change is the only album I have by him that's good from start to finish, though I hear Mutations is supposed to be just as good.

I'm not sure if they're on iTunes, but "Rowboat" and "A**hole" (later covered by Johnny Cash and Tom Petty, respectively) are worth tracking down. (The covers are better, though.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

It seems as if what I heard of Seachange didn't interest me. I think that was just whatever he performed from it on SNL, though. I'll have to check the samples on iTunes sometime.

"Lost Cause" is pretty indicative of the album. It's possibly my favorite Beck song ever.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

ple of other good songs by Beck is Tropicalia and Jacka55(which is set to Its all over now Baby Blue by Van Morrison)
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Kidhuman View Post
    (which is set to Its all over now Baby Blue by Van Morrison)
    Is that like "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" by Dylan?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    "Lost Cause" is pretty indicative of the album. It's possibly my favorite Beck song ever.
    Just listened to the clips. The first two tracks, "The Golden Age" and "Paper Tiger" sound all right. Most of the rest didn't seem to be my thing.

It's possible the SNL appearance I am recalling could have been songs from Mutations. The tracks he performed from that album don't seem to appeal to me either, but I think it was Seachange because I recall the songs sounding kind of country. "Lost Cause" and "Guess I'm Doing Fine" have a bit of that feel.

The iTunes review of Seachange makes a comparison to Mark Kozelek of Red House Painters. You should check out his solo album of AC/DC covers, What's Next To The Moon. They are almost unrecognizable until you realize you recognize the lyrics and wonder where you heard them before.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Is that like "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" by Dylan?
    Yes, but he usues the ruffs from Morrison's version as the music.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I guess it's time for another entry, Pat Benatar. Her first two albums were among the first albums my brother had circa 1980.

In the Heat of the Night was her debut. Most of the songs are written by others, including the powerful opening track "Heartbreaker" (not the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin songs). The next song is John Cougar Mellencamp's "I Need A Lover". This was before he was famous. I have heard his version and I don't think I like it as well, but Pat's version is not one of my favorites on this album. Mike Chapman was one of the producers on the album, so that is probably why there are three Chapman/Chinn tunes, including "No You Don't", which had been previously done by the band Sweet. There was also a cover of the Alan Parsons song "Don't Let It Show", and cover of Nick Gilder's "Rated X". Pat co-wrote "My Clone Sleeps Alone" and "So Sincere" with the bassist, and her guitarist and eventual husband Neil Geraldo wrote "We Live For Love". Overall, a great album that takes me back to that time.

Crimes of Passion was her second album. This time, she co-wrote four songs and two others were also written by other band members. Among the material written by others was a cover of Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights" and the Young Rascal's "You Better Run". Her big hit "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" was written by Eddie Schwartz.

She had some other hits after that such as "Fire and Ice", "Love is a Battlefield" and "We Belong", but I didn't really get into it as much. Partly because I didn't get the repeated listening I had with the first two albums. I know my brother had the Get Nervous album, but my initial impression of it wasn't that great so I didn't listen to it again. Still, she was a talented singer. She was also one of the early stars of MTV. When VH1 Classic showed the first day of MTV for it's 25th anniversary, her videos were in heavy rotation.