Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

This is the thread where Mad Slanted Powers talks about his music collection

This thread could go on a long time because I have a lot of CDs, and have started to accumulate some iTunes downloads. It seems that my musical tastes differ a bit from much of what is discussed in this section, though there are some overlaps. So, I thought I would start a thread about the music that is the soundtrack to my life.

Here is how it will work. I'll bring up an artist to discuss and then you can do one of the following:

1) Heap praise upon the artist and tell me how cool I am.

2) Mock me for liking something so lame.

3) Choose your own path somewhere in between.

4) Ignore the thread.

There will be some structure. I'll probably go mostly in alphabetical order, but I think I will begin with the band that was probably my first "favorite" band. The Cars.

I recall hearing "My Best Friend's Girl" on the radio when it was popular. I also recall riding in my brother-in-law's Trans-Am one day while visiting my sister in Seattle, and The Cars was the only tape he had in the car, so I heard it a couple times that day. Then one day in 1978 or 1979, my mom and brother come home from town. My brother had got his first two vinyl LP's. One was Blondie's Parallel Lines, the other was The Cars. We listened to that album a lot. Until 1986, they were far and away my favorite group.

As far as I'm concerned, their first two albums (self-titled and Candy-O are a couple of the best albums of all time. Panorama had a different feel to it and wasn't as successful, but I still enjoy it a lot. At this point, those three and Complete Greatest Hits are the only ones I have on CD, though I have the others on vinyl or taped from my brother's LPs. Shake It Up and Heartbeat City don't seem quite as awesome to me as they did back then, but they are still good albums with some songs that I really like. Their last album doesn't quite hold up as well, and was kind of an anti-climactic finale for them. Unfortunately, Ben Orr died of pancreatic cancer on October 3, 2000. The New Cars thing hasn't really got me excited. It has guitarist Elliot Easton and keyboard player Greg Hawkes with Todd Rundgren on vocals.

One other note. As popular as The Cars became, I sort of considered them alternative, though I didn't have that term in my mind back then. I recall when I was still in grade school, I would ask others in my class what their favorite band was. When I would say that my favorite was The Cars, they'd usually think of the song by Gary Numan. With Heartbeat City though, the Cars became more popular than they had ever been, while most people will know Gary Numan by that one song.

I've always liked The Cars. I'd bought their first five albums as they came out. Can't say that I give them much thought these days, but I still enjoy hearing the odd song when it comes on the radio.

That anthology that they did a while ago ("Just What I Needed") was really good.

Funny that you mention Gary Numan, because I do still listen to the older Tubeway Army albums every now and then.
    plasticfetish.net

I like the music I've heard from The Cars, good band. I can't say I get the whole New Cars thing with Rundgren, though.

Here's another story about my Cars experience. One day, I was listening to Panorama on the record player in our living room. During the song "Gimme Some Slack", my mom asks me if I know what the song is about. I said "not really", and she said "well, it isn't good." She didn't elaborate, so I wasn't sure what the problem was. The song used some terms I wasn't familiar with at the time: "I want to shake like Laguardia", "I wanna float like Euripides", and "I'm all right with Fellini fiends". Those weren't the problem, because those were a NYC mayor, an ancient Greek playwright, and an Italian film director.

A couple years later, I'm listening to the song in my room and my mom comes in and complains about the song again. This time she explains. She thought the song was saying "suck".

I liked the Cars because Ric Ocasek was ugly as all get out and still a rock star. And on top of that, he got himself Paulina Porizkova. They were sort of the quintessential early 80's "rock" band, really synth driven, but somehow still rockier than Duran Duran. I don't listen to a whole lot from that era, it simply doesn't have a very "full" sound, in spite of being studio driven.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Well, I guess I'll move on to another artist. AC/DC.

I'm not sure when I first heard AC/DC. Probably not until after Back in Black was released. I seem to recall hearing my brother and sister talking about the singer and how he died. For a while, I was confused as to which singer was Bon Scott and which was Brian Johnson. I think Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap wasn't released in the U.S. until after Back in Black, so that probably was the source of the confusion. Eventually, my brother had all the albums through Blow Up Your Video. I have memories of riding in my brother's car with Back in Black blasting really loud. We lived at the end of a dead end road, and you could hear his car coming from a ways down the road.

Back in Black and For Those About To Rock We Salute You were the albums I heard a lot to begin with, but eventually I got to hear the Bon Scott era ones more. I'd have to say Powerage is my favorite, "Down Payment Blues" in particular. Flick of the Switch is also an often overlooked and underrated album.

In recent years, I finally bought some of the CDs for myself. I have High Voltage, Powerage, Let There Be Rock, Back in Black and Flick of the Switch. I'll probably get For Those About to Rock next.

I never really appreciated AC/DC. Of all the AC/DC songs out there, my least favorite is "You Shook Me All Night Long". I don't understand why I m not a fan... perhaps I am not a fan of gravelly vocals. But I liked Cinderella when I was a kid. Oh, well.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Quote Originally Posted by JON9000 View Post
    I never really appreciated AC/DC. Of all the AC/DC songs out there, my least favorite is "You Shook Me All Night Long". I don't understand why I m not a fan... perhaps I am not a fan of gravelly vocals. But I liked Cinderella when I was a kid. Oh, well.
    That song's okay, but I have a bit of an aversion to it. The song was on Back in Black in 1980. Then it shows up on Who Made Who in 1986. I recall them playing the song sometimes at high school pep rallies, and noticing some girls being all excited that the song was playing. I'm thinking, "What is the big deal? This song is six years old, and not even the best song on the album."

My favorite song on the album would probably be "Shake A Leg". "Givin the Dog a Bone" is pretty good too, and "Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" makes a great rock & roll anthem. The opening of "Hells Bells" with the gong and evil sounding guitar riff almost makes me afraid I'm gonna go to hell just for listening. I probably didn't think much about "Shoot to Thrill" when it was new, but when I hear it now, it is the sound that reminds me of riding in my brother's car. In particular, the quiet part after guitar solo and repeat of the chorus when it is just drums and one guitar.

As far as gravelly voice goes, the first few albums with Brian Johnson his voice didn't seem to bad. However, it seemed like something changed with The Razor's Edge. It sounded like he was straining more. Maybe it was more of a gradual process starting with Fly on the Wall, but "Thunderstruck" was probably when I first noticed it. Great song though.

Someone gave me part of a live AC/DC album, and you can actually hear the singer's (not sure which one it is) voice getting crappier and crappier throughout the album . . . at the end, I thought I was listening to Meatwad, for God's sake.

Other than that, I do like some of their stuff, but usually the vocals get on my nerves pretty quickly.