Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Serentity over Star Wars

According to the poll of 3000 people in SFX magazine it is. I call Shenanigans on it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6517155.stm
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Anyone who votes for anything by Whedon as better than anything else deserves a kick in the nards. That guy is an idiot. I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Besides, I'll get flak for this, but TV sci-fi always, without exception, looks cheap. Firefly, Trek, Smallville, Battlestar Galactica -- they all look like low-budget crap. At least the first two Trek series bothered to be good enough in other ways that you could overlook how embarassingly stupid the visuals were.

And Serenity looks just like the POS TV show it was based on.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Whedon rigged the polls.
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

Must've been a poll at a support group for those who think George Lucas raped their childhood with the special editions, and thought that the promise of Sarah Michelle Gellar giving them a favor for a vote was a valid promise by Whedon.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

What a buch of BS. I love Firefly/Serenity, but better than Star Wars? No f**king way.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Anyone who votes for anything by Whedon as better than anything else deserves a kick in the nards. That guy is an idiot. I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
    Idiot or not, Firefly was far better than almost everything in the prequel-era of Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Besides, I'll get flak for this, but TV sci-fi always, without exception, looks cheap. Firefly, Trek, Smallville, Battlestar Galactica -- they all look like low-budget crap. At least the first two Trek series bothered to be good enough in other ways that you could overlook how embarassingly stupid the visuals were.
    Firefly had some of the best effects I've ever seen on tv. 5 years later it still looks great, IMO. Its what gives me hope that the Star Wars tv series will look good.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Firefly/Serenity's "Browncoats" are very rabid online, especially at a time when the Star Wars prequels have negatively impacted the public's opinion of that franchise. But there's another aspect at play, the "best sci-fi" aspect, Star Wars is somewhat weak sci-fi really, it's heavier on the fantasy than the others. Serenity holds far truer to its sci-fi roots, as does 2001: A Space Odyssey and Blade Runner, than Star Wars does.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I loved Firefly but not more than Star Wars, including the prequels (for the most part).

I really enjoyed both Serenity and Firefly. However, I don't think that Serenity is better than any of the original Star Wars movies, the prequels yes, but not the originals.
    "That's the best deal you're gonna get. I won't tell you you can save yourself, because you can't."

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post
    Firefly had some of the best effects I've ever seen on tv. 5 years later it still looks great, IMO. Its what gives me hope that the Star Wars tv series will look good.
    "Star Wars TV" and "good" in the same sentence?

I think your expectations are a little high.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Star Wars is somewhat weak sci-fi really, it's heavier on the fantasy than the others.
    Probably why I like it more. I've honestly never been too big on "hard" sci-fi. I like the stuff like Asimov or Bradbury or Vonnegut, that uses a futuristic setting to tell a normal story, but I've never been able to get into books that take several pages to detail the inner workings of a diethyl wontuphenate crystal elixir warp drive launcher.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Battlestar IS cheap because they have to use very adult content to "tell the story" at least when tv was innocent they didn't need to stoop that low to tell a story. I agree with Chuxter the first two Star Treks were the best, DS9's only plus was the Defiant, Voyager's might have been Voyager itself or the Prometheus. Enterprise's plus if it had one imo was the ship itself other than that screw it. Star Wars will always be better than Serenity, to suggest otherwise is asinine.