Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimatum

The Ultimatum

Dear Hasbro,

I've been a faithful collector of Star Wars toys since 1978. Aside from a handful of pieces that I couldn't afford or never found, I have every 3.75" figure and accessory made up until a couple of years ago, when some of your gimmicks became quite frustrating.

When I say "gimmicks," I'm not talking about action features. I'm talking about making so much of the line as tough-to-find, overpriced exclusives; requiring us to buy multiples of figures like ROTS Anakin and Yoda to get accessories or new figures in multipacks; the legions of made-up, repainted Clonetroopers (though there are still actual Clonetroopers from the movies remaining to be made); and, most recently, the ridiculous habit of putting Temuera Morrison heads on every Imperial you release.

In the past couple of weeks, I've discovered that I will never have a complete set of the McQuarrie figures I've wanted for years unless I get someone to pick three of them up from Celebration IV (already taken care of, thankfully); and that I'd have to pick up two of a subpar Droideka sculpt to get one shield.

Yeah, I know you exist to make money. But there's a lot to be said about making your customers happy. Honestly, I'm pretty close to fed up with the whole shebang. As awesome as some of the recent figures have been, I'm still prepared to issue the following ultimatum:

I have in mind 25 possible Star Wars toys. These include both figures and vehicles, as well as accessories and beasts, from the basic, Unleashed, Titanium, and Galactic Heroes lines. As of this writing, none of these have been confirmed, and only a couple have shown up on rumor lists.

If at least seven of these are not confirmed by the end of Comic-Con 2008, I'm done. Period. And I don't mean just Hasbro Star Wars. I mean everything Star Wars, as well as everything Hasbro.

I am not going to tell you the toys I have in mind. Twenty of them are among those that a majority of collectors have been literally begging for for years now. The other five are figures I know you'll probably never make, but I'd like to see them even if they're not priorities among collectors, so I threw them on just on the off chance you decide to make 'em. Suffice to say, if you've been paying one bit of attention to us for the past twelve years, you should have no trouble coming up with a majority of them.

If you need a hint, I'd start with your little "April Fool's" joke from last year.

For the rest of you here, if you'd like to join me in this fool's errand of trying to get toys we actually want from Hasbro, PM me and I'll send you the list.
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 04-16-2007 at 12:24 PM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

It's a little angry, but an understandable point of view, I've been there myself and barely let Hasbro pull their bacon out of the fire (though my complaints are more distribution-themed). I think this next 12 months will make or break Hasbro Star Wars collecting for a lot of us veteran collectors, the direction the line takes from here is very much in doubt and a lot of our wants are being ignored.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'm in agreeance with the both of you.

There are many things that fans on almost every site have been asking for and Hasbro just skips over 'em time and again. Like JT said this next year or so is gonna be a big deciding factor. They've gotta hold over the hardcore fans AND try and draw new ones in before the TV show (if it even comes out. Who knows anymore...) arrives in a couple of years.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

While I agree that there are figures that need to be made and figures that deserve either a re-release or new sculpt, (ie Sio Bibble, TC-14, very short packed) one must remember that Hasbro is always looking for ways to bring in new people.
    With that being said, ask yourselfs, is their enough of a collecting community to warrant releasing an ICMG or Yarna in mass amounts that will not pegwarm on the shelves. What little kid going to the store is going to know who these characters are ? The kids today want to see Luke and Leia and Vader on the pegs not characters that have had very little if any screen time. While I'm a completist and would like to have the above mentioned figures on my shelves they are not on my hot list at the moment.
    This is why time and again I have tried to get Hasbro to start a club gearing exclusivly to the collector's market in which figure like Yarna,and ICMG will see the plastic treatment and won't be pegwarming the shelves at Walmart, TRU or Targets around the world. For those who have said it's too late to have a club, Hasbro has the license till 2018, that's still 11 years away, mor than enough time to give the collector's some new interesting figures as well as playsets and larger scale ships and vehicles like the Clone Turbo Tank, AT-TE and even Palpatine's Shuttle. Playsets like a modular Death Star, or Hoth Base.
    Instead of boycotting Hasbro all together let them know how a club like this could help them and not hurt them. Let Hasbro continue to release stuff for the general population while giving us the collector's something more.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I really like DarkArtist's suggestion, but Hasbro has time and again shown negative inclination to humor us with such a collector's club. It's not that they can't do it, I think, but they simply don't want to. It would mean expanding their business model somewhat, maybe, and they're too comfortable marketing and selling to retailers and not to collectors, the way they've been doing for years. They could sublicense the action figure line to someone else, like they did with the 12" line and Sideshow, but I just don't see that happening with the money they're making (and will make) off the 3 3/4" line.

I don't think things are as bleak as some have suggested, not yet. We've had lots of different figures (many, admittedly, resculpts/ repaints/ reissues/ re___) so far this year, and some new vehicles. Not bad for a non-movie year. Excepting the recent dearth of new figures at retail, I've really enjoyed most of what 2007 has had to offer from the final Saga waves and the first TAC wave. Waves 2, 3, and 4 bode well for us. Good things are coming in the next 6-8 months. 2008 might be a different story, but really, any collector trying to look that far ahead needs to stop and smell the mouse droids. Or the clone trooper kamas...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArtist View Post
    With that being said, ask yourselfs, is their enough of a collecting community to warrant releasing an ICMG or Yarna in mass amounts that will not pegwarm on the shelves.
    Is there enough of a collecting community to warrant releasing a Baron Papanoida figure or McQuarrie concept figures?

What little kid going to the store is going to know who these characters are ? The kids today want to see Luke and Leia and Vader on the pegs not characters that have had very little if any screen time.
    I have to wonder where everyone else at this site shops. Certainly not the stores I go to. I hardly ever am in the SW aisle where there aren't kids buying figures, or parents buying figures for kids. And all the kids I see seem to like the cool looking background characters. Just because Johnny is seven years old doesn't mean he wants fourteen figures of Tatooine Luke. I don't understand why both Hasbro and Mattel keep making this stupid mistake over and over.

It's the parents who either buy only main characters, or who pick up a random handful of figures and say, "Well, he can take back any he has."

And I've forwarded the list I came up with to a few people who have asked. It's characters we've been asking for, and several of them are main characters, or at least secondary characters (a la Wedge or Ric Olie--though they're not on the list).
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArtist View Post
    With that being said, ask yourselfs, is their enough of a collecting community to warrant releasing an ICMG or Yarna in mass amounts that will not pegwarm on the shelves. What little kid going to the store is going to know who these characters are ? The kids today want to see Luke and Leia and Vader on the pegs not characters that have had very little if any screen time. While I'm a completist and would like to have the above mentioned figures on my shelves they are not on my hot list at the moment.
    Here's the thing, Hasbro is the master of short-packing - intentionally and not - so they can make a relatively low-interest toy EXTREMELY hot simply by doing what they did with Sio Bibble, TC-14 and R2-B1, Swimming Jar Jar, Holo Sidious, even FrankenPadme. There's nothing inherently wrong with Lushros Dofine, he's just not that interesting a figure, and if Hasbro had released him in limited numbers he'd be the one we'd all be screaming for more of now - but instead they short-packed Boba Fett and put Lushros in half a dozen more cases, and look what happened. It's like there's some sort of confusion near the end of the production department that sees cool stuff and orders them to dial back, yet cannot also see that less interesting junk should be downplayed. Nobody seems to be looking at case assortments that are about to go into production and saying "hmm, maybe pregnant Padme won't have much appeal and we shouldn't take 3 Clones out of the case to accommodate her". In my opinion, that needs to be job 1 at during production, someone with a real sense of on-the-street interest needs to be in charge of that sort of thing, not these guys who say they're surprised when a figure's hot or not and wait till sales numbers come in to decide whether or not to go heavier on the old man action figures.

This is why time and again I have tried to get Hasbro to start a club gearing exclusivly to the collector's market in which figure like Yarna,and ICMG will see the plastic treatment and won't be pegwarming the shelves at Walmart, TRU or Targets around the world. For those who have said it's too late to have a club, Hasbro has the license till 2018, that's still 11 years away, mor than enough time to give the collector's some new interesting figures as well as playsets and larger scale ships and vehicles like the Clone Turbo Tank, AT-TE and even Palpatine's Shuttle. Playsets like a modular Death Star, or Hoth Base.
    There are contractual issues involved there with LFL, direct marketing and such. And also, Hasbro's made it abundantly clear that mass-retail is the only way to ensure they make any profit on these molds, and that's because only mass-retail can guarantee the production numbers Hasbro needs to see profit. Their business model no longer allows for low-run limited sales in the Star Wars brand, so an exclusive item the way you discuss is going to cost 3 or 4 times as much to the consumer which itself is going to drive interest away which will then drive the offsetting requirement costs up even higher - the classic downward spiral.

Of course, other brands and companies can make profits on much smaller and more exclusive runs, but their business models are totally different and they don't have to pay LFL's Star Wars licensing fees, and many of those small toy companies eventually DO go out of business anyway, or at least suffer greater risks of not making their money back (this is something Hasbro has become so worried about that they'd rather not finish and market a mold that's 90% finished and they've already sunk that budget into, which in turn leads the next potential mold to not even get made if its risk is too high).

Instead of boycotting Hasbro all together let them know how a club like this could help them and not hurt them. Let Hasbro continue to release stuff for the general population while giving us the collector's something more.
    While I love the enthusiasm and optimism, at this point it's a total pipe dream, something that's not even on Hasbro's radar, they've made it very clear they're shutting the door on that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I have to wonder where everyone else at this site shops. Certainly not the stores I go to. I hardly ever am in the SW aisle where there aren't kids buying figures, or parents buying figures for kids. And all the kids I see seem to like the cool looking background characters. Just because Johnny is seven years old doesn't mean he wants fourteen figures of Tatooine Luke. I don't understand why both Hasbro and Mattel keep making this stupid mistake over and over.
    Because it's a solid business decision, newcomers, casual collectors, and kids all can identify with main characters immediately, but aren't as enticed by the "nobody" guys. Newcomers are especially important as they don't have Luke Tatooine and the last one that came out was 8 years ago so it's not like something they can go out and buy. There's a lot more risk with a character that isn't instantly recognizable.

Plus, there's breakage factor, kids actually play with their figures so parts and figures themselves often get broken or lost behind the couch or tossed out the car window, kids will end up needing 3 Vaders in the course of their play life.

And the kids I see at the store respond instantly to Boba Fett, Vader, and the heroes (even some of the PT heroes, sad as that may be for us ).

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Newcomers are especially important as they don't have Luke Tatooine and the last one that came out was 8 years ago so it's not like something they can go out and buy.
    Actually, the last Luke Tatooine came out last year.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I meant a new body version worth being put in the modern line, but you're technically correct - the best kind of correct. We also got the all-new version in the stupid WM "early bird kit", but that thing's an exclusive and a mail-away and has a lightsaber arm (too bad since the body and headsculpt look otherwise pretty decent).