Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Maw Cluster is real

Seems like KJA did get one thing right when inventing the Maw cluster. Black holes can congregate in a given area of space.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200704...6rzjcxIU7MWM0F
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Quote Originally Posted by pbarnard View Post
    Seems like KJA did get one thing right when inventing the Maw cluster.
    If you believe that I've got a bridge to sell you.

The problem with comparisons to the Maw cluster is scale. What that imbecile of an author Anderson describes something at most a few kilo parsecs is size and with stellar mass black holes. What Dr. Kronberg and company are describing is something that is more than 100 time larger in size, 4 mega parsecs, and with black holes a least 1,000 time more massive. So comparisons between the two is totally inappropriate.

But this sounds very interesting journal article. I might have to download and read this on Monday. The real abstract never mentions a cluster of black holes.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Everything is scale. Of course Anderson would get something about it wrong, but a lot of people seemed to scoff that anything like that could be "clustered" no matter how small or large a volume.

Doubtful we'll ever hear about an artificially assembled solar system though. Although, given the size and immensity of the universe, the improbable becomes probable eventually with enough time.

The problem is when newspapers report on science, they often take home the wrong message. This Tuesday's New York Times had things on Chimps being "more evolved" than humans. This is true. But guess what, there are bacteria that are more evolved than both humans and chimps. Each organism has at least one thing it is better at, giving it a selective advantage, than some other organism. The chimps in this case have evolved better reflexes and motor behaviors for conditions they encounter daily in their lives.
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that there are better evolved beings than humans. In my view humans are devolving. losing brain power and motor skills, senses becoming numbed. instincts lost and reliance on a few individuals for contrivances to support their daily lives is more and more evident. Humans are crap.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. DADDYPANTS View Post
    it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that there are better evolved beings than humans. In my view humans are devolving. losing brain power and motor skills, senses becoming numbed. instincts lost and reliance on a few individuals for contrivances to support their daily lives is more and more evident. Humans are crap.
    I don't know where you got that view, but as a neurophysiologist I can say that's all wrong. If anything, there is evidence that the rate of evolution in the human nervous system picked up greatly about 6000 years ago with several genes, and in general is happening at an accelerated rate compared to house keeping genes which tend to not change at all between species.

Don't confuse behavior with evolution/genetics.

We all know the real reason this thread exists is so pbarnard could link to a news article with the title:
    Black Hole Cluster Breathes Out Enormous Gas Cloud
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

after i eat black hole clusters i usually emit an enormous gas cloud, too... it's the peanuts. they don't sit well with me.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Black hole clusters......... sounds like an impending visit to the doctor.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008