Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The V-Wing

The V-Wing

I saw my friend's boxed V-wing. He offered to open it up so I could mess with it, but I declined, as I figured he didn't need a mess of plastic baggies and twist ties in his car trunk at the moment.

But the boxed ship was very light, and considering the usual amount of cardboard packaging Hasbro includes, my thoughts were that this ship sould also be really small. It is afterall, defined a lot by folding wings. Thus I envision a fuselage not much bigger in size than the old CruiseMissle Trooper (remember the horror?).

I still plan on buying 2 V-Wings when I get the opportunity, but I've prepared myself to be a little less impressed.

What does anyone who has this ship think? How about the rest of you?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

My problem is that these ships seem like glorified versions of the original Kenner Mini-Rigs. The Sith Infiltrator reminds me of the Shuttle mini-rig which looked like a one-man mini-Tyderium. The white Tie Fighter looks great with the new paint deco and redesigned hatch but the smaller scale panels are a turn-off. One ship that could really benefit being released in this assortment is the Twin Pod Cloud Car.

Tycho, have you actually seen the toy in person at all? I think this kind of speculation is downright dangerous if you haven't. We've seen comparison pics of the Sith Infiltrator toy and the V-wing, the V-wing is noticeably bigger, so how you can say it's as big as the Cruisemissile Trooper is beyond me when the V-wing has a cockpit big enough to fit a whole figure sitting upright.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The thing about the V-wing is that its folding wings make it appear to be larger than it really is.

Look at the picture in this post, there's no way it's as small as Tycho's saying, not by a long shot:
    http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=543599
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The wings are adding to the size in that picture, and as someone who has most of his 3 3/4" in storage and basically his SideShow around at home, I get startled sometimes by how small the 3 3/4" figures often seem to me these days. So that they are smaller than the ship they fly is really not that impressive, considering...

But I declined to have my friend open his boxed V-wing at that moment, because I knew how messy it could get. Now on second thought... (heck, he offered. If it were me, I would have opened mine anyway - I was just being polite I thought.)
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    The wings are adding to the size in that picture, and as someone who has most of his 3 3/4" in storage and basically his SideShow around at home, I get startled sometimes by how small the 3 3/4" figures often seem to me these days. So that they are smaller than the ship they fly is really not that impressive, considering...
    hey, 3 3/4" is still 3 3/4"! you've answered your own question, more or less. because you've grown accustomed to Sideshow's scales and proportions, when you look at Hasbro's stuff, something seems "off" to you.

now if you wanted to say that Lego's V-Wing seems kind of small, you might have a point. though in that case, it was probably just to get it at a $10 pricepoint.

I just got the V-wing today and I am very, very impressed. The detail is phenomenal and the action features are great. Overall it is a true gem of a vehicle. Nice job Hasbro!

It IS small - but likely a very accurate scale (unless it's small )

But I got 2 and am seriously considering getting 2 more.

I'd love to display 2 hanging from the ceiling and maybe 2 in a hanger display.

Such a nice ship!

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I just got the V-wing today and I am very, very impressed. The detail is phenomenal and the action features are great. Overall it is a true gem of a vehicle. Nice job Hasbro!

It IS small - but likely a very accurate scale (unless it's small )

But I got 2 and am seriously considering getting 2 more.

I'd love to display 2 hanging from the ceiling and maybe 2 in a hanger display.

Such a nice ship!

Cool, thanks for the quick review Tycho. I had already planned on buying 3 of these. Now I know for sure I'm going to get them, and maybe 2 more!
    Move along, move along

Christ! I wish I could even find ONE of these bloody things!!!!!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**