Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultaramas

Ultaramas

I've seen these over at RS before and now they are getting more attention with their giveaway to try to sell more product.

They have always seem as a nice way to display my collection. Do any of you folks have these and if so what do you think of them?

Quote Originally Posted by mm74md View Post
    I've seen these over at RS before and now they are getting more attention with their giveaway to try to sell more product.

They have always seem as a nice way to display my collection. Do any of you folks have these and if so what do you think of them?
    I don't have them but have seen them in person. They are kinda "meh" to me. Okay to display. I hear you can't stack more than 4 high with these though.

There's other things I'd rather spend my money on.
    Move along, move along

If you can use a drill and make a box, and if you want to get advanced, use a jig saw, you can make a pretty decent SW display case or shelf. Sounds patronizing, but it is relatively simple to build a box and put shelving into it.

There are plenty of sites with plans and I'd be happy to share some of my measurements and notes on what I've done right and wrong with my own.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

I have 2 Ultarama displays, stacked on top of each other, the second one I bought without the backer cards because I can print out my own if I want to (and I didn't). It's a decent display item, I like that the pegs are less likely to snap off in the feet since they come out of the floor (though some figures can still fall over and just pull their pegs out of the floor, but the pegs don't break and do help), and I like the techy look of the overall display. I have the thing set up so I have 4 semicircles stacked on top of each other, and I must admit that the columns do take up some vital display space. My biggest complaint is that the peg layout on the floor is a tad confusing and leaves a few small gaps, and the raised midsection eats a little of the way you can display figures around it. Still, I like 'em, I'd buy a 3rd set and make my display 6 levels high, but since I don't want to use a stepladder to get figures on and off it, I'm sticking with the 4 I have.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'd like to add that I have two on top of each other. It's a nifty way to display your figures if you don't want to go through the hassel of making your own or anything. One weird thing I noticed is their website hasn't been updated in YEARS. (last time I checked). I didn't think they were making them anymore!

Heh heh, I uploaded this photo on Nov 11, 2000: http://www.geocities.com/jeditricks/ultarama.JPG

That was obviously before I got my second set and put it on top of it, then on April 28, 2001, I took this:
    http://www.geocities.com/jeditricks/myultarama.JPG

And that's pretty much how I have it set up today. Each level has a few theme areas, though it doesn't look like much in the photo.

(boy, my old camera really sucked!)

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I have the same number as you JT, but mine are arranged in two circular levels and I have the background scenes that came with them. My complaint is that with the setup like I have, it's kind of hard to put new figures on the lower levels. I don't have a free table to set this on, so it is on the floor, and I usually don't have good light on it when I am trying to put the figures on. So, I am often struggling to get the figure's peghole onto the peg.

If I ever find a spot to set this, I might consider your setup. The semi-circle would take up less space, all the figures would be facing one way, and the taller tower might look kind of cool.

That circle idea would be great for a coffee table or something else where you can see both sides freely, and if I were doing that I'd use backgrounds (I'd make my own though) because I wouldn't like the back-to-back look at the middle - I'm a nut that way.

You have a good point about getting figures in and out of the lower levels. I've found that the closer the ceiling-wearing section is to eye level, the easier it is to get figures in and out, but it's a lot easier to have no ceiling.

They've always seemed a bit "chintzy" to me. Maybe it's the optional generic backer, but they look really cheap.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.