Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacation

The Charlton Heston of Wings fans!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I have used a few of the on-line travel-planning sites and my opinion is that they all suck. You really don't save THAT much unless you are going LONG-term...like a month or more...and the hoops you have to jump through for the short-term stuff is not worth it.

I checked out of a room two days early and that led to a totally unnecessary nightmare.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

Thanks for the input, DC.

I was surprised that the savings weren't greater, as well. Only about $8-$10 on the rate. I thought there would be a better savings than that. I think a lot of that has to do with destination. I'm just spending the night at places that aren't usually thought of for vacations....just a place to pull over for the night and sleep.

I'm on vacation this week actually. So far I haven't done much of anything and its been wonderful. I may make a one day trip tomorrow and do a little hiking or biking. Beyond that I don't really have much "planned" other then sleeping in and running.

See ya, kiddies!

I'll be absent for about the next ten days. Tomorrow morning I'll be headed cross county to the reunion of WWII vets of the 416th Bomb Group:

http://wgs.cc/416/index.html

Should be a very interesting time. Behave while I'm gone!

I'll be sure to wave to Blue2th as I pass through Albuquerque!

I'm baaaaack!

My trip to Branson, MO to attend the reunion of the 416th Bomb Group veterans of WWII was very emotional and fulfilling for me. I was able to meet gentlemen who attended West Point with my uncle as well as those who served in the 671st squadron with him. What a tremendous group of people! Vets, wives, family and friends have been attending the reunions for about 60 years!

Most of my time was spent with the veterans, but we had time to take a river boat cruise on Table Rock Lake and to take in the Branson Veterans Memorial Museum which honors US veterans from WWI to present. In the museum (which is private), 408,000 names are inscribed on the walls of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. I've attached a photos of my uncle's biographer, Wayne Sayles, pointing out my uncle's name on the wall. The reunion was hosted by Wayne and his wonderful wife, Doris. Wayne's book about my uncle started my journey in finally meeting the 416th group:

http://ancientcoins.ac/416/671cramsie.html

The final night of the reunion was capped off with a prime rib banquet and the appearance of speaker Mark Johnson, a retired Lt. Col. and college professor. Here's a link to his impressive credentials:

http://www.markthespark.com/about.html

Even though I was a newbie to the 416th family (and it certainly is!), I was embraced immediately by all the attendees. Although my uncle was killed in action, his memory was well-remembered by all and I haven't the words to express the gratitude and humility I felt for their kindness.

I hope to attend the reunion next year as well as all future events. They are an exceptional group of people!

...and, yes, I waved to Blue2th each time while traveling through Albuquerque!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tribute to Uncle Bill.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	21508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wayne Sayles.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	21509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The 416th Veterans (Medium).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	21511  

Yay! I'm on vacation for the holidays! Not going back until after the new year!

The only tragedies I have to deal with are the ones at home........

Brief weekend to Costa Mesa (near the beach in Orange County) to meet up with my uncle. Then, back home to check on my... jury duty status for next week.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Here's a picture. Rename the song "My Pigeons on Broadway" as you look. Except for an early evening (but still dark) getting-lost session around the Newport Beach/Laguna Beach/Costa Mesa/Tustin/Santa Ana areas, followed by several dinner mishaps (at multiple locations ), it was nice and relaxing.

Name:	MyPgnsOnBdWy.jpg 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	22281  

If you have a preconception about what Death Valley is really like, dispell such misconceptions; it's awesome! Well, in the summer, it'd be unihabitable, but late winter/early spring is great. The one place I most wanted to go (just after seeing a REAL night sky, with the REAL stars, not the fake, plastic ones near LA... in the skies, that is) was to the top of Dante's View, seen as the vista of Mos Eisley spaceport in ANH. Recent rainy weather shut down the entrance, but I later found out it was the SNOW at the top that was the bigger issue (but the dried mud across the roads was bad too), since it's over 5400 ft. up. See below for various shots around the Nat'l Park, including me at the Mesquite Flat Dunes (far, far away).

Name:	FromADistance.jpg 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	22575   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MudShadow.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	22576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canyonero.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	22577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DantesView.jpg 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	22578