Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Well, I got there before 8:00am, for their 11:00 opening, figuring I'd be one of the first 100 people to get the special "May the Fourth" FCBD patch. Somebody counted up to where we were in line: in the 70-80th people range. Sweet! Get up to the entrance once they opened; look down at my ticket: #320?!? So, no patch.

A friend of mine was in the credits for the Sesame Street/Strawberry Shortcake flipbook, and he was one of the talent there to sign at the tables, so I thought I'd get one of them and have him sign it as I talked with him. One, he wasn't there yet (I did see him when I went back later in the day). Two, they said either "we're out of them" or "We're holding them for a kids' reading event later" or "we didn't get any." I did get the SW/Airbender book and a couple others.

It was sunny and getting hot (I drank two water bottles full and NO out-line-to-go, either ), hard to find where lines (which were exceptionally long) ended or began, but it was still a fun time. Great to talk to people in line, saw some former/current students there and other friends, great costumes (in the pics, the Boo costume was the cutest, and the AT-ST walker/Twi'Lek girl & family was the awesomest SW costume I've seen [even had scout walker sound effect], lots of COBRA/G.I. Joe ones). Many, many more people than I've ever seen at this one, in my several years of going here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FCBD 5-4-13e.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	27398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FCBD 5-4-13a.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	27397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FCBD 5-4-13f.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	27399  
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Well, I got there before 8:00am, for their 11:00 opening, figuring I'd be one of the first 100 people to get the special "May the Fourth" FCBD patch. Somebody counted up to where we were in line: in the 70-80th people range. Sweet! Get up to the entrance once they opened; look down at my ticket: #320?!? So, no patch.

A friend of mine was in the credits for the Sesame Street/Strawberry Shortcake flipbook, and he was one of the talent there to sign at the tables, so I thought I'd get one of them and have him sign it as I talked with him. One, he wasn't there yet (I did see him when I went back later in the day). Two, they said either "we're out of them" or "We're holding them for a kids' reading event later" or "we didn't get any." I did get the SW/Airbender book and a couple others.

It was sunny and getting hot (I drank two water bottles full and NO out-line-to-go, either ), hard to find where lines (which were exceptionally long) ended or began, but it was still a fun time. Great to talk to people in line, saw some former/current students there and other friends, great costumes (in the pics, the Boo costume was the cutest, and the AT-ST walker/Twi'Lek girl & family was the awesomest SW costume I've seen [even had scout walker sound effect], lots of COBRA/G.I. Joe ones). Many, many more people than I've ever seen at this one, in my several years of going here.
    That is awesome! The AT-ST costume is really fun, the tiny girl in the twi'lek is cute.

I didn't go out, feeling under the weather, so I just picked up whatever was free on Comixology, although that meant no IDW or major Marvel or DC comics for some reason. Oh well.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

It has been a few years without one, but my online searching seems to have come up with no Star Wars comic this year. Thanks Disney-SW! At least, since I have a few activities scheduled for that day (5/3/14), I won't feel as bad missing the FCBD event.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

The hipstery eyesore that is Transformers vs. GI Joe will be a FCBD #0
    http://comicsalliance.com/tom-scioli...joe-interview/
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=51417

And this is IDW's only original ongoing GI Joe book for this year!

I might be too embarrassed to walk into my comic shop and ask for this, so it may be up to Comixology to deliver. It looks truly horrendously awful and backwards-gazing for entertainment purposes, but I want to give it at least a chance (one that doesn't cost me too much).

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Define "only." After the mess of van Lente's ongoing (which had a really strong premise, but it's clear that he hasn't read any of IDW's previous books, doesn't intend to, and has an editor who isn't doing his job at all), they're doing yet another soft reboot this fall.

But for the most part, skip the new Joe books and stick with the Hama title. I don't say that just out of nostalgia; with Cobra(/Cobra Files) gone, the new books suck. It's as if there's some law that the quality of the Joe books is inversely proportional to the quality of the Transformers titles and, well, we know those are two of the best comics out there, so you do the math....
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Alright, so who is going to pick up this free Power Rangers comic for me on free comic book day?
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Define "only." After the mess of van Lente's ongoing (which had a really strong premise, but it's clear that he hasn't read any of IDW's previous books, doesn't intend to, and has an editor who isn't doing his job at all), they're doing yet another soft reboot this fall.

But for the most part, skip the new Joe books and stick with the Hama title. I don't say that just out of nostalgia; with Cobra(/Cobra Files) gone, the new books suck. It's as if there's some law that the quality of the Joe books is inversely proportional to the quality of the Transformers titles and, well, we know those are two of the best comics out there, so you do the math....
    Sorry, I meant summer, not year.

There's a slim chance I'll be hitting the comic shop tomorrow between errands, if so, I'll pick it up for you.

I didn't get to it either. I'll likely see people's photos online soon (first year at the shop's new location, with more space to spread out their activities).

I went to my first Free Comic Book day on Saturday and there wasn't really much to it other than standing in line, in the hot sun, to get ahold of some comics that I didn't even want. I ended up jumping out of the line, wandering around the store for a bit and then going home.

It didn't help that a friend of mine from work decided to tag along and spend the entire time complaining about EVERYTHING.

Ah well, the local Michael's store was having a BOGO sale on comic book paper, so the trip wasn't a total loss. Also, I got to see a guy in a really awesome TIE Fighter Pilot costume. I wanted to ask him questions about where he got it, but he was too busy taking pictures with kids (along with his buddies in a Sandtrooper and a Stormtrooper costume).

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I didn't get to it either. I'll likely see people's photos online soon (first year at the shop's new location, with more space to spread out their activities).
    Well, if we can get you, Chux, and Maradona together, you can each read it there. Rumor also has it that it'll be free on Comixology soon if you want to do it digitally.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I went to my first Free Comic Book day on Saturday and there wasn't really much to it other than standing in line, in the hot sun, to get ahold of some comics that I didn't even want. I ended up jumping out of the line, wandering around the store for a bit and then going home.

It didn't help that a friend of mine from work decided to tag along and spend the entire time complaining about EVERYTHING.

Ah well, the local Michael's store was having a BOGO sale on comic book paper, so the trip wasn't a total loss. Also, I got to see a guy in a really awesome TIE Fighter Pilot costume. I wanted to ask him questions about where he got it, but he was too busy taking pictures with kids (along with his buddies in a Sandtrooper and a Stormtrooper costume).
    Wow, that's awful, sorry to hear it. I guess I got really lucky, my store was nothing like that. I got in, got books, and got home in under 20 mins, they even put the hot title that was gone 45 mins after opening aside for me.

Then again, one of the guys on my TF site has a store that won't do pull lists and CHARGES for each FCBD title after your first!