Hybrid View

Free Comic Book Day

Who picked up what and what did you think?
    I snagged 8 books:

Comics 101 (TwoMorrows) - Very cool book on creating comics, a Cliffs Notes type of the history of comics, and more.

How to Draw (Wizard) - A collection of Wizard's drawing lessons. Fairly good stuff.

Family Guy and Hack/Slash (DDP) - Family Guy was as bad as The Simpsons comics and Hack/Slash was decent, but not enough to make me want to buy it.

The Amazing Spider-man (Marvel) - Dear God, why would Marvel put this piece of carp out as a showcase? Retarded *** story (Jackpot - are you f*cking kidding me? And the villain is a Spidey fan? Ugh.) and great art...from a guy that tries way to damn hard (Is early 90's Image hiring?).

Justice League of America (DC) - Made absolutely no sense.

Pirates vs Ninjas (APE) - Pirates? Ninjas? Sounds awesome, right? *sigh* Printed poop. And why did have a $.50 cover price - on FREE Comic Book Day (and no, I didn't pay for it).

Whiteout (Oni) - Not bad, but I was really ticked when I found this wasn't a self-contained story. Its a stupid reprint of an old first issue!

Unseen Peanuts (Fantagraphics) - Probably the best of the bunch. I'm not a big Peanuts fan, but its pretty cool to see some of these strips that haven't been seen in 50 years. And seeing Charlie Brown being an a-hole and Snoopy in the electric chair is priceless.

Also got the cool Fantastic Four 2 poster.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I picked up 9 titles:

Battlestar Galactica Season Zero
    Wizard's How to Draw
    Transformers Movie Prequel #1
    Who Wants to be a Superhero
    The Umbrella Academy
    Mickey Mouse Robin Hood Adventure
    The Amazing Spider Man
    Justice League of America
    Legion of Superheroes #1

haven't read any of them yet though and i guess i should steer clear of the JLA and Spidey comics.

How do you get multiple comics? The shops around here give you one free, then others if you buy a certain amount of other books/purchases. And I usually only go if there's a comic I in which have interest (none this year ).
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    How do you get multiple comics? The shops around here give you one free, then others if you buy a certain amount of other books/purchases. And I usually only go if there's a comic I in which have interest (none this year ).
    that sounds like a really cheap way of doing it... most that i know of just let you get one of each one... that's how my guys did it... there are no "official" rules even on the FCBD website... this is all i could find about that:

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/faq.asp#howmany

Quote Originally Posted by www.freecomicbookday.com
    11. How many comics do I get?

That will depend on a lot of factors: How many comics does the store have to give away? How many people visit that day? How many people got there before you? The answer to this question will depend on which store you go to and when.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Since its a fairly small shop (in a fairly small city) my comic guy lets his members take whatever they want. He gets a ton of 'em and there is usually still extras afterward.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

BCJ, at the shop i go to, they just had all the free comics laid out on a table and you could help yourself to them.