Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Death Star Trooper Review

Life is good I managed to snag a couple of new figures again this week. I still haven't seen any of the concept figures, though.

I did pick up the Death Star Trooper. And I thought I'd share the usual thoughts and pictures with you all. I'm wondering how many of the original 12 we'll see issued this year. We've already got this guy, R2 and Han. Luke and a Jawa are coming up as well an Episode 4 specific Vader.

Anyway, check out the pics and words here:

http://www.tvandfilmtoys.com/reviews...ar_trooper.asp

Enjoy!
    Engineernerd

My only beef with them is they're packed with the wrong gun. Really easy to head swap to give some diversity with the head joint, and depending on the pose, the joints aren't too noticeable.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Funny, in your last picture -- the one with the vintage, the POTF2, and the TAC DSTs -- the POTF2 version looks like he's in Jack Rabbit Slim's "Twist" Contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
    Funny, in your last picture -- the one with the vintage, the POTF2, and the TAC DSTs -- the POTF2 version looks like he's in Jack Rabbit Slim's "Twist" Contest.
    I thought the same thing. I can't figure out what that stupid pose is for.

I didnt care for his knees.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Actually, the picture of the POTF2 guy twisting is like when Beavis and Butthead would start couch diving. The other two have to be going, what a schmuck.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Personally, I always thought the original DS Trooper looked like Johnny Carson. (And now that I've just dated myself for the entire board...)

On the whole, I think the >> Death Star Trooper is okay.

It's a decent enough figure, and for sure an improvement over the older version. Love the articulation and the removable helmet, but the head itself is weirdly warped, and the way they did the knees is sort of "funny" looking.

So far he's the only one from this wave I've bothered to buy, so that must say something.
    plasticfetish.net

Yeah, the face is off-center and drifting, my guess is someone mounted the prototype on the body wrong and they ran with that, it doesn't help that he's all jowly too.

The knees I don't think are the problem by themselves, they're just translating the puffy pants of the outfit, it's the upper legs that aren't carrying that weight properly, the transition from the upper leg to the knee doesn't match up well.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

To me there is like one exact pose and viewing direction where his knees/legs look right. Get off from either just a little, and not so good. But compared to the POTF, Elaine from Seinfeld dancing version, he's a fair step up.

(Okay, I just replied to use the Elaine thing. It was Mrs. Nerd's idea.)