Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your Greatest Popular Culture Passions.

What are the popular culture passions, things you really love? For me it would be:

1. Star Wars
    2. The Beatles
    3. Superman
    4. Quantum Leap
    5. Elvis

Runners up: Seinfeld, Cheers, M*A*S*H, Star Trek, Harry Potter books (not films),
    Indiana Jones, Muppets

Replacing this concept with actual intellectual pursuits, such as basic understanding of science and engineering.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Quote Originally Posted by pbarnard View Post
    Replacing this concept with actual intellectual pursuits, such as basic understanding of science and engineering.
    Does this mean you have a hit out on Britney and Paris?

(We can only hope!)
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by pbarnard View Post
    um... if your live.com space and your frappr are filled with your pop culture passions such as "babylon 5", "battlestar galactica", "star trek" and "stargate: atlantis", why would you "choose to replace the concept of" (read: hijack) his thread? i just don't get it... start a new thread on "actual intellectual pursuits" if you feel the need...

that said,

1. comics in general, specifically spider-man
    2. harry potter (books or flicks, i'm easy...)
    3. x-files and heroes (together because they have the same epic story feel...)
    4. star wars (all 6.)
    5. couple of odd sitcoms: scrubs, 30 rock...
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Animated movies from cel to stop motion to CGI.
    movies in general but the less Hollywood the better.
    intelligent comic books and stuff like calvin and Hobbes.
    off the wall tv comedy that isn't trad style sitcom. usually without a laugh track.
    documentaries about movies, music and tv.
    sci-fi and fantasy art and movies, tv and books, toys.
    fashion overview, which is more a case of looking at current fashion trends and spotting their influences and origins.
    spotting points in time when life imitates art such as car design imitating old sci-fi or gadgets that become reality after say Issac Asimov described them years ago. or something from star trek becoming a reality.
    digital art.
    design in general, from printed media to architecture to furniture to cars. the details count and the subtle changes as time goes on are sometimes hard to catch but in a retrospective view it all flows like an endless river. with tributaries feeding in that influence the flow. it's kind of my real enduring passion. and my dream to one day design my own house and furnish it with things I've designed myself. create my own personal culture shape it all and choose all the materials and the textures and colours. use all the knowledge of all the stuff above to influence and inspire and build a temple to me and my passions.

Star Wars and Marvel Comics, and the rest can go and play (hey!).
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

The NHL
    The world of good beer
    WWII

I've been considering topics for my thesis as of late and though it would be awesome to do something on the impact of WWII on the NHL in the 40s and 50s.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Pop culture...Hmm

I guess Battlestar Galactica and sudoku puzzles (I love those things.) I don't really have the time to really get into anything else.

Thank you, Droid, for allowing me to make yet another list (LISTS! ). I will let readers figure out my #1 main interest by noticing by how I rank my list: :subtlety:

1138: Indiana Jones
    1138: The Simpsons
    1138: Saturday Night Live (more from pre-2003 or so shows)
    1138: Sports Center (as lame as many of them are, I still use/remember them)
    1138: Weird Al Yankovic
    1138: "After School Special" -type shows/commercials ("One to Grow On," "And knowing is half the battle," "This is your brain on drugs," etc.)
    1138: random TV/radio commercials ("Flynn on four... I don't care if you're married," "The State, The State, like Rhode Island," "But the dude didn't show up," "It's on a spaceship, to Pluto," "I'd even like the mailman," etc.)
    1138: 1980s era TV (Family Ties, Cosby Show, ALF, A-Team, Misfits of Science, Who's the Boss?, etc.)

I constantly use PC (not that PC ) references in my classes, and usually my students are either mildy impressed I know things "they know" (as if it's off-limits to "old" people :feeble at 30: ) or wondering why I mention it.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

I was thinking about this yesterday, and I realized I'd left off some pretty important ones to me:

1138: comic books (mosty late 1930s to early 1990s, mainly Marvel Comics)
    1138: TV cartoons (mainly 1970s through early 1990s)
    1138: some stand-up comedian routines (Bill Cosby, Steven Wright, Bob Newhart, The Todd , Jerry Seinfeld, Geechy [sp?] Guy, Ellen DeGeneres, etc.)
    1138: 1980s to early 1990s MTV (sensing a pattern here methinks )
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."