Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

George Lucas called Spider-Man 3 silly! And two more Star Wars movies?!?!

From this site:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270874,00.html

It states the following:

But of course, we were most interested in talking with George Lucas, the affable genius film director who occasionally graces us in New York with an appearance. Lucas is absolutely one of my favorite people, a lovely guy who seems unaffected by his enormous success.

Lucas is currently preparing "Indiana Jones 4" with Harrison Ford, Blanchett and Shia LaBoeuf. The latter plays Ford's son, which means his mother was possibly the character Karen Allen played in "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

"I can't say," Lucas said when I brought up Allen.

Lucas says that Sean Connery still hasn't signed on, but his character, Indy's dad, is in the script. Other than that, his lips are sealed.

"Steven thinks we can keep the whole thing a secret," Lucas told me. "I explained to him that it's impossible nowadays. We can't live like that."

So then, tell me more about "Indy 4," I suggested.

"Oh no," replied Lucas with a smile.

Lucas told me he has seen all the summer movies since his company, Industrial Light and Magic, does most of the special effects. The only one they didn't work on was "Spider-Man 3." What did he think of it?

"It's silly. It's a silly movie," he said. "There just isn't much there. Once you take it all apart, there's not much story, is there?"

Well, it's not "Star Wars."

"People thought 'Star Wars' was silly, too," he added, with a wink. "But it wasn't."

Lucas, by the way, says he is readying "Clone Wars," an animated series for TV that's derived from "Star Wars." Many "Star Wars" characters appear in "Clone Wars," but voiced by other actors.

And here's a little news: Lucas tells me he will make two more live-action films based in the "Star Wars" era.

"But they won't have members of the Skywalker family as characters," he said. "They will be other people of that milieu."

The two extra films will also be made for TV and probably be an hour long each. But, like "Clone Wars," Lucas doesn't know where on TV they will land.

Hello, HBO and Showtime. It may be time to pony up.

1. So if Connery is in the script will they recast him if he won't sign? That
    would be reason number 20 I probably won't see this movie.
    2. So he doesn't think there is much story in Spider-Man 3? I haven't seen
    it yet, but has Lucas seen what he did with the prequels?
    3. And so now there are going to be two more movies, but made for
    television? Is he abandoning the TV show idea to do that? Or in
    addition? And he claims he wants to do something other than Star Wars,
    but just keeps doing Star Wars over and over and over and over. I
    wonder if they'll be as great as the two Ewok movies.

So I take it he means that plans for the 100-episodic series have been scrapped in lieu of 2 1-hour TV specials? God I hope this isn't like the 2 awful Ewok TV movies.

What the hell, George? You have no right to call any movie silly after making "Phantom Menace" and those nauseating love scenes in "Attack of the Clones".
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

I just think it seems rude for a major film maker to go around saying he didn't like someone else's current movie. I could see if years later a director looked back at the movies of the past decade and said what he liked and didn't like, but think of all the directors that probably could have come out and said the prequels were terrible and didn't.

I think the Spider-Man 3 folks should come out and bring up what Lucas said in the 60 Minutes interview, something like "maybe people think you should have painted your house green, but it is your house and you paint it the color you want." Lucas basically said he didn't care if people criticized the prequels because he did what HE wanted, well I'm sure the Spider-Man 3 people did too.

It's been said if Connery doesn't sign on, they'll just rewrite his part out of the script. It's a small part, from what i've seen/read.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Well he's right. I have never thought the Spider-man films to be anything more than hyperkinetic self-indulgent juvenile junk food anyway. There's no chemistry between the characters. MJ and Peter come off almost as bad as Anakin and Padme. I still don't get the appeal of a kid running around in blue and red spandex who shoots webs from his hands. I thought the Spidey films were all effects and no story. Phantom Menace wasn't silly, just stupid, but Lucas did get it right when he said they weren't silly. At least amidst the wooden acting, stale dialogue and cgi effects there was an ominous story about the corruption of power, politics and the soul. Spider-Man was just a pathetic excuse to cram Gwen Stacy, Sandman, Snake-Eyes... er Goblin and Venom into one video game they called a movie. 15 minutes of Venom is roughly the equivalent of what we got with Maul in TPM. If they had done the real alien costume saga (omitting the Secret Wars aspect) they could have made a very cool movie but it was dull and trite like Brett Ratner's X3 which was a colossal insult after the exceptional X2.
    Last edited by Jedi_Master_Guyute; 05-09-2007 at 03:06 PM. Reason: language

Well, devil's advocate here, but Lucas didn't say he hated the film, or even that he disliked it.

I've heard Lucas describe films before "It was kind of fun and silly..." blah blah blah. Now if he had said "It was horrible and the characters were really bad" it would be a different story. I would have to see how he said it to really put his comment in to context before jumping to any conclusions.

So he thought the movie was "silly" big deal. There are a lots of worse things for a movie to be.

He didn't criticize the acting, the directing, the production team or the people who worked hard on the film. All he said was there wasn't much "story" and that it was silly. It's not like we're talking about an epic drama here.

Let's face it, he used the word silly to describe a film based on a comic book character. Wow, imagine that, the horror.
    May the force be with you.

I didn't think Spider-Man 3 lived up to what it could have been, but it wasn't nearly X-Men 3 caliber crap.

As far as it being silly, I can accept that it's just an opinion--and Raimi does bring a certain intentional silliness to these movies--but for Lucas to describe the prequels as not being silly seems more attributed to his inability to distance himself far enough from his movies to see the inherent Jar-Jar.

As long as these TV movies have Jedi and they act--I don't know--like Jedi, I'm definitely on board, but it could always be The Gungans Movie and Gungans: Battle for Naboo, both touching stories about a human family crash landing on Naboo before large-scale human settlement.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06

All's that was missing was Wilford Brimley and a good bowl of Quaker Instant Oatmeal. He's probably bitter that he won't get a cut of the box office because it's the only non-ILM "blockbuster" out this year.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)