Rejoice, for with this round, we're all caught up on unanswered questions in Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for May 11th, 2007. Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them. Here come Hasbro's answers, and remember to check out ActionFigs.com for their weekly Hasbro Q&A as well (which also got an update today).
Just a quick note, due to the upcoming SW Celebration IV convention and Memorial Day, the next round of answers is scheduled for June 8th.
Hasbro Q&A for the week of May 11thQ: A number of questions about the possibility of seeing specific figures & vehicles realized as toys have met with answers about their chances largely hinging on whether or not they appear in the upcoming Star Wars tv shows. Hypothetically, if Lucas changed his mind tomorrow and decided the Clone Wars and live action Star Wars shows were just not going to happen at all, what would happen with those potential toy concepts, and how would Hasbro's general outlook on the future of the Star Wars line change?
A: If there weren't new entertainment on the horizon, we would continue to keep the "Saga" line fresh for fans regardless. We would look at the concepts and decide which of those would be most exciting and relevant, and could stand without the entertainment backdrop, and proceed from there.
Q: She's been one of the most consistently-requested figures since the modern line began, she has far more screentime than Dengar and Bossk and IG-88, a prototype of her was even made for the original Kenner line. She was second runner-up in the ToyFare Fan Choice poll by only a small margin, she had more votes than any other movie character in the poll, and the 2 above her in the poll have already been confirmed to be made (as have Darth Malak, Hermi Odle, ROTJ Luke, Mara Jade, Kir Kanos, Clone Commander, Padme Ilum, and Commander Neyo who all got significantly less votes than Yarna, half of those 4 poll-losers there have even already been released). You obviously recognize some level of demand, based on your April Fools-style joke at 2006 San Diego Comic Con. So why is it that you will joke about collectors wanting a Yarna d'al Gargan figure, but have been unwilling in the past to produce this figure and will not confirm that you are committed to releasing this figure in the foreseeable future?
A: The "April Fool's" spoof was really meant to have fun with the types of more obtuse and macabre characters that some fans have expressed a desire in seeing someday, but a character like Yarna does stand a good chance of becoming a figure at some point. When that is, we can't say for sure, but the odds are very good.
Q: Anakin, Padme, R2-D2, C-3PO, and now the moisture vaporator.... We have everything we need to make killer AOTC Lars homestead displays with one glaring exception: the Lars family itself - Cliegg, young Owen, and young Beru. Is this something that you plan to correct soon? If not or you can't talk about it yet, why the continued vagueness about these 3 characters for so long?
A: It's because they are not off our list, it's just that we have selected what we feel are more interesting characters to round out our EpIII waves so far. Some time down the road we'll get to these figures, but it will take time.
Q: Will you ever be rereleasing the Geonosian Starfighter, perhaps as a repaint? The ship had only a small release in a non-movie line and could use a rerelease. If so, is there anything you can do to strengthen the droopy dual-nose issue? This is a great mold with a very nifty exclusive pilot figure, but that droopy nose thing detracts from this cool set.
A: We'll look at it, but it's not high on our list (it's sort of like the Cloud Car, cool but maybe not as aggressive as vehicles). Part of that has also been because of the child safety constraints we must abide by for the nose of the vehicle, which makes it a little less "hard" than we'd like.
And the questions at ActionFigs.com:
- ** (now with answer!) ** Now that we've seen photos of the new Jedi Luke figure with cloth vest, what can you tell us about him? Is it an all new sculpt? Is his Death Star 2 costume on underneath the vest, is the vest and outer belt removable? What accessories will he have? What are the chances of seeing him repacked without the vest?
- Might we ever get the Mustafar hovering lava harvesting platform for the Mustafar Lava Miner, Obi-Wan, and Anakin as Vader to ride on, perhaps also coming with the lava panning droid for Vader to ride on top of? Granted, the hovering platforms were done in the Mustafar playset, but those seemed too small and lacking in accurate detailing.
- The Titanium Series line has shared its space with Battlestar Galactica license for some time now with much success. Can you give us a hint as to your plans for the future of this license? You were recently quoted as saying the Cylon Basestar and the classic Cylon Base ship were not likely to happen due to "complexity of production", what does that mean and how would they be different from something like the recently-released classic Cylon Raider? Also, what happened to the plans for the Titanium Forged Figure of the Cylon Centurion, is there a future release here?
- Can we please have a new, more accurate Dr. Evazan figure? The original POTF2 Cinema Scene figure has been repainted a few times, but the sculpt is still among the least-accurate likenesses of any figure that's never enjoyed a full resculpt. After all, he's got dialog in the movie and an action scene, and it is Star Wars' 30th Anniversary.
- Why are basic carded figures so much more expensive in relation to battle packs that have 5 figures in them? A battle pack which MSRPs for $19.99 and has 5 figures, or 4 plus a larger accessory of some kind, costs less than 3 carded figures (who MSRP at $6.99 a piece). Any chance that the MSRP might be dropping on the single basic carded figures in the near future?