Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

1985 all over again???

There was an interesting bit over at GH's last Q&A about new Hasbro product coming this year. Specifically, the comment was made along the lines that it seems Hasbro has too much product slated to be released this year, before the TV series comes. It's almost like the company is trying its best to get new stuff out before the line is put on hold.

I can totally buy into this line of thinking. I know I'm not the only one worried that the new Legends line will junk up the pegs, its repaints and reissues competing for peg space with new, original figures in the main TAC line like the McQuarrie series, Stormtroopers and DS Troopers, etc. But further, how can Hasbro possibly hold to the release dates (and rumored release dates) for coming TAC waves? I mean, here it is the middle of May, and TAC Wave 2 is coming in at a trickle, or not at all. EE has Wave 2 scheduled to ship in May, I think, and Wave 3 in June. (I may well be mistaken on the latter.) When can we realistically expect to see that basic carded Stormie at WM, TRU, and Target -- December???

Is Hasbro too ambitious? Are they worried that the line will stall out in the face of competition from other lines this year? Do they see a repeat of 1984-85 for Star Wars figures? With store space for the line shrinking, and the number of basic figures conversely expanding, what are we supposed to think about that apparent market bottleneck?

You may be onto something.

Snake Eyes is coming out in a few months, and I see Optimus Prime on the shelves regularly.

Hmmmm....
    Tommy, close your eyes.

The figures are selling very well in my area. Hasbro is going to make a lot of money this year and a lot of fans will be happy.
    You may know me as: Chuckles at joecustoms.com, Boshek at sirstevesguide.com and he-man.org and Eaglekiller at allspark.com.

Many stores in my area are completely sold out of figures. Yeah, I've seen every wave 1 figure on the peg at some point, but they really aren't warming anywhere. SAGA figures are moving pretty well also. I cannot tell for sure, but it seems Hasbro is making a killing on these things, selling like they are at $7 per fig.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I'm not sure that it's as bad as 1985, or will be soon. They're making all this product and it seems to overall be selling very well, showing that people do still have an interest in SW. Having a hard time finding figures is, in my area at least, due more to them either selling out too fast or not being shipped enough rather than any of the Greatest Hits figures (which are no longer out around here, though that may change when Legends hits, but I wouldn't really count on it).
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

The main problem here is that all the stores still have plenty of TSC figures. Wal-Mart probably has the least amount of space to put the new figures. For the TAC, I've had the best luck at Fred Meyer, however it is the one on the other side of town that has had wave 2 and not the one near my house.

I think they can't keep up with the demand so stores are showing empty pegs. as far as the product goes, I wish Hasbro would do more figures this year. while 60 is a great number I would love to see more
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArtist View Post
    I think they can't keep up with the demand so stores are showing empty pegs. as far as the product goes, I wish Hasbro would do more figures this year. while 60 is a great number I would love to see more
    That's just basic figures, though, and it's (obviously) a non-movie year. There were also the final 22 TSC figures that are still shipping, several Legends coming, and then Battlepacks, Comic Packs, Tin sets, Order 66 packs, and everything like that. I would rather they focus only on the main line and only do the other things sparingly, but it just keeps on coming.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I would prefer fewer figures. With shrinking shelf space being alloted to Star Wars in stores, I think Hasbro should should just focus on putting out 10-20 figures of VOTC/VTSC quality and that's it.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I would prefer fewer figures. With shrinking shelf space being alloted to Star Wars in stores, I think Hasbro should should just focus on putting out 10-20 figures of VOTC/VTSC quality and that's it.
    What? only 1 to 2 figures per month (averaging it out).

No way. There is still too much money out ther efor Hasbro to make on this stuff.

36-48 figs a year is reasonable at this point. And they can run polls for desired previous figures and reissue them. Exactly as they are doing this year. Doing that would ensure them that they would reuse old molds, as well as still get new figures to the masses.

But really the TV aside, I can't see how this can continue for too many more years. This year is a breakneck pace of releases (at least planned for...we still have seen wave 3 and the vintage figs JUST started showing up according to a guy on RS).
    Move along, move along