Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

VTSC2 IG-88 review

IG-88 is pretty good, not a fantastic toy perhaps but a nice collectible. It may look below like the good is outweighed by the bad, but most of the good are really strong points while only a few of the bad points are anywhere near the same level.

What's right about IG-88:
    • At 4.8 inches, he's slightly taller than POTJ IG-88;
    • He's got a lot of articulation;
    • He's got a fantastic silver color with a very nice subtle rust-wash;
    • He's got a good number of accessories (rifle from earlier IG-88, stormtrooper blaster, knife, removable bandolier), all of them well-colored and none overly rubbery;
    • The bandolier has a holder for the knife on the back;
    • He's got a ton of detail, way more than previous IG-88, and much of it is in separate pieces;
    • The blasters are black yet have a significant silver paint weathering (dry-brushed, I believe) which looks outstanding and I'm now jealous for all my other stormtrooper blasters;
    • He can stand upright easily.
    Articulation:
    • Swivel mid-head,
    • swivel neck,
    • universal-jointed upper torso (bends forward-back and rotates at the bottom),
    • standard shoulders,
    • rotation upper arms,
    • universal elbows (hinged and rotation at top),
    • standard hips,
    • swivel upper thighs,
    • universal knees (hinged and rotation at top), and
    • universal feet (hinged and rotation at top).
    What's wrong about IG-88:
    • He feels somewhat delicate due to thin limbs and loose separate detail pieces everywhere;
    • The head still seems a little under-detailed;
    • He's tough to keep standing in action poses without help because he's so tall and top-heavy;
    • His left hand isn't terribly good at holding accessories because it's warped open due to holding the blaster in-package;
    • His hips are too wide, looks like the beginning of thunder-thighs;
    • For all his articulation, they left out the tilting head and the movable area where the upper arms meet the shoulders;
    • There's a slight gap in the middle of his head where the separate halves move;
    • The bandolier has these 3 disks (grenades, I suspect) which look removable but aren't;
    • The bandolier also has a holster on the back which should work for the right gun but doesn't accommodate anything he's got;
    • The rotation joints at upper elbows and upper knees seem redundant since the upper arms and legs rotate independently;
    • The top of the hose on the upper left leg keeps popping out of the waist;
    All in all, a pretty cool figure, not perfect but I'd say this is close enough. He certainly blows any prior IG-88 figure out of the water, that's for sure. The separate detail pieces go a long way for the look, although I'd say the coloring of everything here involve is what takes it to the endzone.

Hasbro for some reason decided to clear-band the figure into the tray, I think this is the first vintage-style to do so and I don't care for it, it seems like it takes away from that vintage feeling where you can open a figure and get it right out of the bubble without fuss, but nothing seems adversely affected by the clear-bands so I'll forgive. Kenner's picture on the card front looks great, sharp and good color, but is flipped so the head details are backwards, the bandolier is on the wrong side, the guns are in the opposite hands.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The question is will this one droop over time when loose like the PotJ version does?
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

I would imagine the bands are necessary, if he ended up lying in the package the wrong way in a warm environment, he could probably end up looking like a total curly mess, which would make him sell worse I'd figure

Been a while since your last review man, glad to see ya back on- tho I miss the rating system
    Iso & Baws
    IG-88 was just a series of tubes in the actual movie
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by pbarnard View Post
    The question is will this one droop over time when loose like the PotJ version does?
    My POTJ version never drooped over, so I couldn't say for sure. Despite the top-heaviness and thin legs, I don't think this one will because of its slightly widened stance (due to the thunder thighs).

Quote Originally Posted by mabudonicus View Post
    I would imagine the bands are necessary, if he ended up lying in the package the wrong way in a warm environment, he could probably end up looking like a total curly mess, which would make him sell worse I'd figure
    Could be the case, but I'd prefer an over-tray instead. Also, because he's held in that specific way, the separate torso pipes (it's a single band of them around his midsection connected by only 2 small hoses) is misaligned by a 5th of a turn, but only a purist would even notice that, and I'm not sure anybody'd care.

Been a while since your last review man, glad to see ya back on- tho I miss the rating system
    I'm surprised anybody's noticed, that means a lot to me actually. Maybe 6 months back I found myself writing reviews where every time I went to say anything I'd slip down the rabbit hole into this ridiculously overwritten mess that I couldn't see a way to edit. The Optimus Prime review I did earlier this week kinda got me thinking about how to write shorter - since that is likely the LONGEST review I've written in 3 years, but felt more satisfying. So I wanted to post "minireviews" about the figures I found last night, and even that got away from me, which is why there's no rating system.

IG-88 was just a series of tubes in the actual movie
    He's Senator Ted Steven's understanding of the internet?

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

By request, the grading system breakdown:

Packaging: 3/5
    Odd to see the same Vintage TSC packaging, only this year's mail-in stuff is gold instead of silver (and the tabs are generic). The heat-sealed collector case really bothers me though, takes this down a LOT.

Sculpt-Design: 4.5/5

Articulation: 4.25/5

Paint-Deco: 4.75/5

Accessories: 4.5/5

Overall: A-

Jesus! I didn't know these were out already.

This sucks soooo much. I'm so far behind it's not even funny anymore.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

They're basically trickling out, it's expected that they'll hit on Memorial Day weekend. You should get the Navy to set up a program like the GI Bill, only they buy you all the figures you want instead of saving for schooling and loans.

I got this one today along with the Bossk (decided to save myself the headache and just order them online). Another amazingly detailed figure, but I just worry about the sturdiness of the whole thing. Is he just going to collapse to the ground like a lifeless mess once the joints get too loose to support his weight?

So far, there're no problems at all, but I want to refrain from moving him around too much just in case.

He looks great though! Again, Hasbro really outdid themselves on this figure.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Picked him up today. A great figure. I love the articulation on him. The only gripe I have is that his right leg is a bit loose and popped off. I snapped it back in and he is good to go. HE does have issues standing up, but i dont care, nothing a stand wont fix.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I am glad you guys love these as much as I do - based on what Hasbro told me at CIV, we should expect at least two more waves, then we'll see based on the survey (same as at Rebelscum)

My Ig-88 stands well enough - the legs are so tight I had to 'break them in' but mine has a real loose right arm (elbow)

Here is a comparison - I am just happy with the corrected scale. This version seems to stand evenly - most previous versions were a bit lopsided.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0023.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	15441  
    Real men buy Willrow