Hybrid View

ARRRGH! I missed the John Williams concert! WHO SAW IT?

Crap. Crap, crap, crap.

Every year John Williams plays one or two shows at the Hollywood Bowl, usually in July or August. I was planning on going back to LA (I now live in Utah) to visit my folks when I realized I may be able to see the show. Come to find out he already gave his performance in the middle of July.

According to the schedule he played some of his older work ('The Cowboys') and some newer stuff, including the theme from A.I. His shows are always excellent and he has been known to throw in one or two encores of his most popular work (usually ET, Raiders, or SW).

Did anyone from SSG go or know someone who did? This is the second year I've missed it. I vow to never to miss it again because it really is the best thing next to actually going to a SW movie screening. I would like to know if he made any hint at all as to the EP2 score. I went to his show in 98, the summer before EP1 came out and he kind of hinted at the new movie, but very vaguely.

If you're interested in the show summary, click the link below...

http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/series/...kTarget=%5Ftop

Thumbs up

Mand Cand, I did not go this year, but I did in '99, right after the hype of TPM had kinda died down. It was awesome, awesome, awesome! Best at dusk, but after dark, all the lightsabers fans had brought were cool, too! His encore was 3 songs, all SW or Raiders.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I've successfully missed each one of these for as long as I can remember, including this one. I always find out about them like 1 day before they happen, and this year was no exception, I was DRIVING BY the bowl and saw the sign! Last year, it didn't come so early on the calendar, so I thought I had plenty of time left... HA! Shows what I know. I figure the world will end if I ever show up at one of these things.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

With his film schedule, how often does he do shows?

How cool was it that while conducting the music at the Oscars, he ends up saluting so many of the films he's scored?

Originally posted by Caesar
    With his film schedule, how often does he do shows?

How cool was it that while conducting the music at the Oscars, he ends up saluting so many of the films he's scored?
    I'm not 100% sure on this, but it seems that he always does at least one show at the Bowl during the summer. Often he does two shows, one Friday and one Sat. night.

The last one I was able to attend was in 1999 after TPM. It really was a great show, but I remember that he only did three pieces from EP1: Anakin's Theme, The Flag Parade (from the Podrace), and of course Duel of the Fates complete with chorus.

I've only been to one show where he did pretty much exclusively SW, music. That was in 1997 (I remember because it was the night Princess Di croaked), the same year that the trilogy SE was released. He pretty much played all the major themes and a bunch of other suites. That, IMO, was theeeee best show he's done so far.

I only hope he does another one this year.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas