Need help with these here intrawebs

I found an awesome item on ebay. Its a letter from a soldier written on D-Day +5 (June 11th, 1944) letting his mother know he is OK. His name is Paul Franks and he is/was from Akron, OH. He was a staff sergeant in an engineer battalion.

Although the seller has perfect feedback (and appears to specialize in selling such items) and the item looks authentic, I'm still a bit skeptical.

Here's where I could use you folks and your internet(s). Can anyone find a comprehensive list of all personnel who crossed the channel on D-Day? I have been looking the last couple days but can not come up with anything outside of people who were highly decorated and/or relatively well known.

At the very least, can someone find/provide a link naming all the individuals buried at Arlington National Cemetery? I saw one a long time ago, but (not surprisingly) got rid of the link. I thought that would be a good starting point.

Google searches are turning up a lot of great information, but nothing germane to this.

I really want to get this item for framing, but I don't want to spend money on and display junk if it turns out not to be the real deal.

Thanks!
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138 View Post
    I found an awesome item on ebay. Its a letter from a soldier written on D-Day +5 (June 11th, 1944) letting his mother know he is OK. His name is Paul Franks and he is/was from Akron, OH. He was a staff sergeant in an engineer battalion.
    Akron, OH. I know where that is. If you are trying to find out more on this Paul Franks I'd suggest looking up historical/geneological records from the 1940's in the Akron, OH region. If you are lucky you might find some currently living decendents who'd be willing to talk to you and can verify the authenticity of the letter.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    Akron, OH. I know where that is. If you are trying to find out more on this Paul Franks I'd suggest looking up historical/geneological records from the 1940's in the Akron, OH region. If you are lucky you might find some currently living decendents who'd be willing to talk to you and can verify the authenticity of the letter.
    Wow. Long time, no see LM!

Where can I find records like that online?

Here is Akron's white pages. Searching the name Franks turned up 20 results.

Here is Akron's official website. You can order a list of birth and death certificates which may provide you with some info.
    You could also look up public military records. The US government may have public information for such a thing as well.

Here is some more on genealogy searches in general.
    Last edited by Lord Malakite; 05-23-2007 at 01:48 PM.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces

I found a lot of useful stuff. Thanks, LM. I couldn't access military records, though. Am I doing something wrong?

Since you're from Ohio, can you tell me how far away the cities of McComb, Wooster and Mansfield are from Akron? I know a lot can change in 65 years, but I figure I'll start with Akron and work my way out.

***EDIT***
    Here's our boy!

I'm not exactly certain how far those areas are from Akron. Akron is up near the Cleveland area and I'm near the Cincinnati area so I doubt I can be of much help judging distance. Here is a map. It has Akron, Wooster, and Mansfield on it. In case you are wondering where I'm at; I'm located close to where the "a" in Cincinnati is on that map.
    Last edited by Lord Malakite; 05-23-2007 at 02:43 PM.