Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sacrifice: with Spoilers

I haven't read the novel and suppose I never will. I hated the Yuuzhon Vong stuff, couldn't read the Dark Nest Trilogy past the first abysmal book, but I was actually curious if I didn't want to try to read some of the Legacy novels (not the future comics which look like crap save some cool Sith designs).

I almost swore off the Yuuzhon Vong novels after they killed Anakin Solo. It's not like I'm one of those fans who cries and quits when his favorite character is killed off; I watch Joss Whedon's works, so that's old hat, but Anakin was pretty much the only good thing about that crap. I only finished reading them because I had to wait for the bus fairly often for an entire year and needed something to keep me from loosing my mind from boredom.

But I just read a spoiler for Betrayal. They kill Mara Jade. Great, since everyone seems to write Corran Horn as a tool anymore and Anakin is dead, the only character I've given a rat's *** about is Mara Jade. Well, I vaguely care about Tahiri, but she hasn't been as interesting since she was altered by the Vong, and she got even less interesting after Anakin died.

I just don't think novels written in the post Hand of Thrawn period have any interest for me anymore. It just keeps sucking more and more.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06

Ummm, whatever spoiler you read it is just flat wrong. Mara doesn't get killed.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Spoiler:

Whoops, it's Sacrifice, not Betrayal in which she is killed. If a mod could change the title, that would be awesome.

Yet another reason why I've completely given up on the post-NJO EU.

Mara would mop the floor with Darth Bad-Plot-Device or with that has-been Lumiya. Why they dragged her sorry carcass out of the Marvel comics, I don't know.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Have not even read a post in this thread, just clicked on it and "post reply," since my library has not yet received it. With the end of school soon, I plan to get to this one soon.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

This is the first EU book I've really enjoyed in awhile....

Guess you could call me a bit of a "fair weather" reader of SW stuff...enjoyed some of the Zahn stuff that started the resurgence of SW lit, really enjoyed the prequel/republic-oriented stuff(especially Lucerno)...I call it the "connective tissue" between the prequel films, much like the "republic" & "Clone Wars" comics were. Those Jude Watson young reader books have always been a guilty pleasure...quick, fun reads.

I tried to get into the whole "New Jedi Order" thing but it just went on too long and got to repetitive for me. Tried the recent "Swarm War" stuff and found it unreadable...couldn't even get through the first one...so when this "Legacy of the Force" collection of books came around, I approached with caution.

The first four books were okay...I always took my time with 'em and in the case of "Tempest" never even finished it.
    Out of the four my favorite had been "Bloodlines"...I fell for Traviss' writing when I picked up "Hard Contact" a while back...her interesting take on the Mando culture, her intuitive style with writing the military mindset...works really well for me...her "Republic Commando" books were an unexpected pleasure...good, well-written, fully developed stories based on a video game? Um,yes...no one was more surprised than me...
    When she tapped into that whole "commando" like thread for "Bloodlines" with the whole subplot involving Fett and his "family"...it really pulled me in...more than the lead characters issues actually. Didn't give too much concern for yet another carbon-copy jedi kid (Ben Skywalker) or old Sith-spurned lover's quarrels spanning the galaxy or yet another damaged man becoming seduced by evil. Been there, done that....

But I'd do it again if the story was compelling enough...

Now to "Sacrifice"...while I was at ClV, I saw the cover at the B&N booth and it blew me away...Mara looking strong and elegant amidst an orange tempest...Traviss was there signing so I picked up a copy and got her to sign it. Cracked it open on the plane ride home and didn't put it down til I was done (heck, I was almost late for work the next day staying up to finish it)...it's been a long time since a Star Wars book grabbed me and didn't let go and then at the end made me want the next part right now.

While the meat of the story was Jacen's final steps towards becoming Sith, it was the Boba Fett story that grabbed me personally and Traviss nailed it. In these new stories, Fett has come across as the ultimate "military brat", the guy who live in an orderly society (partially "manufactured"), surrounded by a brotherhood in his youth, hearing tales of that society from his father...and finally having leave all that behind when he loses his father in that first great battle....made him into the strong, silent, determined and duty/honor-bound man he is. No attachments, despite his Mando culture...anything to deflect the pain of the most intense kind of loss a person can have...a loved one, a parent, a partner, ripped away in an act of violence, along with the nomadic lifestyle that usally precludes not just attachment, but the desire to maintain contacts over time. It's the way of those who have had that uprooted existence singed by loss that Traviss captures qutie effectively here.
    Finally beaten by his own body, racked with a terminal condition seeming to have no cure, he takes stock of his life and accomplishments and chooses paths he would have never considered were it not for the issue of his own mortality.

The whole subplot of Fett plays perfectly counterpoint to Jacen's arc...Fett is becoming selfless and concerned with the welfare of those around him...learning a different kind of sacrifice, while Jacen is charging down an utterly wreckless path of selfish power and delusion under the guise of doing what's best for everyone (yeah, a little like his grandfather without the nasty nightmares). I can't imagine this story having the impact it does without that "balance" between the two stories...

And that ending! I think we're going to see Luke finally heeding the lessons of his life with Mara...as sad as it sounds, the cliché is true...you don't know what you've really got til it's gone and sometimes it takes a great loss to bring that home and start heeding the lessons of that life. One of the great things about Luke and Mara is that opposites really did attract with them and they complimented each other well...I liked how in this story Mara seemed to be doing a little self-acknowledgement about how being with Luke and being a mother had changed her and made her change. It made her end even more sad...it's abruptness (Jacen took an "easy" way out instead of really besting her in actual hnad-to-saber combat)but her final choice of not going non-corporeal was cool too...even at the end she did the best she could to point the way for everyone else towards what happened.

Okay...I've rambled enough for this round. If you've taken a hiatus from Star Wars Lit for awhile...this book is a good point to pick things up and check in with the EU saga.

I really liked this book...I hope Denning is up to the task of carrying it on from here....

You like Traviss for the precise reason I'm starting to really dislike her. She cannot write anything that doesn't have Mandaloreans. It's annoying. Hard Contact was good, but I gave up on Triple Zero less than halfway through.

BTW, the only thing that could possibly save the EU right now would be if Tenel Ka said, "B****! Don't go Sith and blame it on me!" Right before she trounces Jacen in a duel and then sics her rancor on him.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Tenel Ka? My hero(ine)? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    BTW, the only thing that could possibly save the EU right now would be if Tenel Ka said, "B****! Don't go Sith and blame it on me!" Right before she trounces Jacen in a duel and then sics her rancor on him.
    That would be more emotion than she's ever shown in all previous books combined including the tears for Jacen on the Star by Star retreat.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

El Chuxter, if you agree that it's a good idea, you could probably merge this thread into your thread about the general direction of the EU. I'm following both threads.