"Ok, R2. You want some power?"

On Dagobah, as Luke is getting his MRE ready, he plugs R2 into a small glowy thing that presumably recharges the little tincan's internal battery.

Are we to assume that R2 units need to be plugged into something every once in a while to maintain usable lifestyle? If so, why not build that small glowy thing into the droid so that the human in charge doesn't have to carry around an extra piece of luggage?

And does this mean that all droids need to be plugged in at some point? If so, when does Threepio get to eat? And where is the plug on his body?

I think the SW Visual Dictionary said the big circular thing on the protocol droid's torso is a recharge port. Maybe when droids are away from larger vehicles (X-Wing class is a snub fighter, remember) portable power packs drain the main ship less than say, the Falcon or a Star Destroyer.

Or, Ben Burtt recorded himself saying "UNLIMITED... POWER!!! " and then changed it into his droid beeps language.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid View Post
    And does this mean that all droids need to be plugged in at some point? If so, when does Threepio get to eat? And where is the plug on his body?
    maybe there's a difference between protocal and astro drids when it comes to needing power. maybe R2 needed the power since he was a little roughed up when they first got to Dagobah. a droid needing some power/recharge here and there doesn't seem to far fetched, even though thats the only time you see it in the movies.
    [FONT=Century Gothic]That day in Theed I feel so far from what I was. When I came to rest all I could see was you. But I rose from my ruin to find myself greater. And all the days since have been to your end! - Maul [/FONT]
    Online Portfolio | Thracian | SW Action Figure Checklist

Maybe R2 can operate on solar power indefinitely so that in space surrounded by the stars or on most planets he is fine, but on Dagobah, where there is no direct sunlight he can run down...

Maybe the fall in the water shorted something out requiring the portable backup power unit...

I say we believe everything Droid has to say on this topic, being the true expert here.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    Maybe R2 can operate on solar power indefinitely so that in space surrounded by the stars or on most planets he is fine, but on Dagobah, where there is no direct sunlight he can run down...

Maybe the fall in the water shorted something out requiring the portable backup power unit...

Um, are you aware of how far apart stars are from one another in space?

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid View Post
    Um, are you aware of how far apart stars are from one another in space?
    Seems like not very far in Star Wars as quickly as they skip from system to system.

I think R2-B1 was soakin in some power in that lil harness thing on the Queen's Ship in TPM.

My theory is that droids have internal power generators, but when they are taxed it helps to recharge faster with an external boost than without.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    My theory is that droids have internal power generators, but when they are taxed it helps to recharge faster with an external boost than without.
    yeah, maybe R2's alternator was busted and he needed a jump. the thing that luke had was like that portable jump-start kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Jump-Start-DC-.../dp/B000A0IIYA
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope