Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
    Man; the lengths some people will go to to keep their old, outdated phone.

http://www.space.com/26075-nasa-isee...t-success.html

But getting info. from a 36-year old probe (even one sans computer) is cool. Now, having to RENT telescope and materials usage is a crime!
    "I went to Star Wars Celebration VII in Anaheim, and I didn't get even a lousy t-shirt."

The DVD/Blu-Ray of the new Cosmos TV series is out today. It's nice!
    "I went to Star Wars Celebration VII in Anaheim, and I didn't get even a lousy t-shirt."

Pluto is ready for its close-up. And we'll get to see pictures soon; would be hilarious if there are signs on the surface that say "darn tootin' I'm a real planet!"

We've spent close to a billion dollars to take pictures of a small rock. Pluto was only classified as a planet since 1930, and even that was based mainly on conjecture. Right now, there are nerds and pseudo-nerds who are excited over more photos from New Horizon, and if they were paying attention to scale markers on some of the annotated images, they'd notice that Pluto is SIGNIFICANTLY SMALLER ACROSS THAN THE USA. Pluto is two thirds the diameter of our moon. It's going to be a relatively boring fizzle of interest once people realize that it's just a round, pockmarked asteroid that's not particularly special.

Forgive the annoyed tone of this, I just am sick of normies and nerds alike getting all squee over something that isn't going to yield the rewards they're hoping for. We already have had the Voyager program doing big things for decades.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

Kylo Ren - came from Space Brooklyn, although he moved to Space Williamsburg before it was trendy.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Hey, I want to apologize for bringing down the mood. I've grown really sick of news and people hyping this up and it's gotten under my skin. I don't mean to shake my fist at the kids playing on the lawn.

Anyway, the closest pass yet has revealed a higher-res image if anybody into that sort of thing:

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/dis...inkId=15514645

New Horizons will be dark until about 5:40pm PST tonight as it enters an autonomous data-gathering mode.

(I still don't really get why people are so over-the-top joyous about this though.)

Kylo Ren - came from Space Brooklyn, although he moved to Space Williamsburg before it was trendy.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    (I still don't really get why people are so over-the-top joyous about this though.)
    "...not because it is easy but because it is hard..." might apply here.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I'm tired of the Rancor Pit-type topics in the online, TV, and print news; so seeing something I haven't ever seen before but guessed at is wonderful. I have always taken more time to read news topics like this thread's title during my life. So this is fun, far-out fun!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    "...not because it is easy but because it is hard..." might apply here.
    And yet nobody cares about LHC discoveries.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    And yet nobody cares about LHC discoveries.
    But they DO care about planetary discoveries.

Don't miss it tonight!
    http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...7jul_bluemoon/

[edit] It's 1:05 AM PDT (8/1/2015) and I just checked on the full, blue moon: PURTY! Good night Neverland!