Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Space and the universe... [interests, sightings and events]

Just thought this would be a cool thread. Not sure who's on board with the realities of space aside from the fantastic aspects of it... like Star Wars.

I was inspired to start this thread 'cos I just came in from outside after seeing the International Space Station fly over northern Ohio. The coolest thing was that trailing behind it was the space shuttle! I wasn't expecting to see the shuttle as the news reports only mentioned the ISS. Apparently you could see the Shuttle closer to the ISS on Tuesday evening. I was glad to have this opportunity since I missed it the other night.

I remember seeing Skylab at the end of June many years ago. A couple weeks after that, I was visiting my family in Japan when Skylab came down in the ocean west of Australia. That was really eventful for the young me who was, possibly starting High School that year.

Anyhow... I'd like to see this thread used for these types of events or news stories that might interest like-minded people!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I'm totally down with this thread. I've always loved astronomy and space related stuff. I guess that's why I'm study it to be a professional astrophysicist. I'll keep people informed if there is a cool high energy photo of the week or other high energy astrophysics topics that I know about.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

I'm a casual astronomy fan, so I'll read/post here.
    I know Cappy is pretty into astronomy, so he'll probably show up in this thread.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Great thread!

I, too, saw the International Space Station with the Shuttle last night. Quite the sight!

I have the additional luck that Edwards Air Force Base is tucked in the southeast corner of my county. Unfortunately, I work nights and didn't have the opportunity to drive the short hour it takes to get there to see Atlantis touch down today, since I've got to go to work tonight (I kinda like to get my sleep! ).

I did get to see Challenger make the first-ever shuttle night landing way back when. I had a press pass and exclusive access since my wife was a news reporter back then. I was able to attent the astronauts' press conference with her. It was weird to think that just a few minutes prior, the crew I was looking at had been in space, flying around at 17,500 mph, and they were acting as if they had just gotten off a United flight or something.

Great thread JP! I look forward to everyone's contributions!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Walking back to my house from the library yesterday, I heard a 'boom-boom' sound, remembered the shuttle was landing at its alternate site at Edwards AFB, checked my watch (12:46pm PST), and kept walking. I live too far south (and having a range of mountains blocking clear sight) to actually see the craft, but it was still cool.

Going to the SW exhibit at the California Science Center was cool, not just to see the costumes and props from the films. It was great to see how they matched the scientific discoveries to the special effects and plot devices from the movies.

One thing I have missed has been "science jokes." While waiting in line to get into Griffith Observatory a few months back (post-renovation but pre-fire), I got to make some "humorous" (always a relative term with we fellow geeks ) comments about Pluto's demotion to "minor planet" (BBBOOOOOO!!!!! ), gravity's effects, etc. Not to say that my family isn't smart, but there's a difference between a conversation with those who know more and those who don't, that's all (not that I know a lot, of course... ). There's more to the story about waiting in the line, too (not the smartest people running it, ironic considering the brilliance on display at the musuem itself ).
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I was watching CNN report on the Shuttle landing yesterday. I knew it was expensive to ferry the craft to Florida if it lands in CA, but they estimated it costs about $1.7 million to transport the thing.

During landing, it takes about six minutes for the shuttle to cover the distance between California and Florida - wow, that's fast!

---

I remember seeing Comet Hyakutake just about every day for a week when it passed near Earth several years ago. I'd get up and run before dawn and the comet was by far the brightest object in the morning sky. Cool sight to see.

I live out in the country, a good distance from city lights, so I have a unobstructed view of the night sky. At certain times of year, I can occassionally see the Aurora Borealis on clear nights; which was nice surprise when I first saw it. I always thought the Northern Lights were just an Arctic Circle phenom.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

I'm glad that people are finally contributing to this thread! I was a little disappointed when it just sat there and sunk.

One of the highlights in my life was taking a group of friends from university to the Dayton Observatory to see Comet Halley in the winter of 1985-86. It was fantastic to see all those people up on the hill with their telescopes and getting to see something that hadn't come around to our part of the solar system in ages!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I hate space. We should fill it up with garbage from our landfills.

Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai View Post
    I was watching CNN report on the Shuttle landing yesterday. I knew it was expensive to ferry the craft to Florida if it lands in CA, but they estimated it costs about $1.7 million to transport the thing.

During landing, it takes about six minutes for the shuttle to cover the distance between California and Florida - wow, that's fast!

---

I live out in the country, a good distance from city lights, so I have a unobstructed view of the night sky. At certain times of year, I can occassionally see the Aurora Borealis on clear nights; which was nice surprise when I first saw it. I always thought the Northern Lights were just an Arctic Circle phenom.
    Then just drop in 6 minutes worth of fuel and fly 'er back home, NASA! And they say they're so smart...

I am jealous of those who have little light polution near them. I have to drive somewhere else just to see the gigantic night sky? Wha-?!? Huh?!? I plan to see the Northern Lights sometime; maybe I'll have to just keep on driving someday...
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Back before all you kiddies were born, I attended a lecture by Arthur C. Clarke at Jet Propulsion Lab (we lived in Glendale, CA at the time). 2001: A Space Odessey had just come out and Clarke's lecture foretold a lot of what is reality today. Even though I was in my early teens, I was riveted to his words. It's more meaningful now as now there's talk of a base on the moon, and the push to explore Mars. We'll see just how much of ol' Art's predictions do come true!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!