Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post
    I guess I should elaborate...
    Its f*cking retarded to attempt something this asinine and far-fetched on a complete and total waste of time. Far too much money would be wasted when it could be spent on something worthwhile and useful.
    The thing is, ceturies from now, we may rely on this study for something. You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam View Post
    All right, I really like this week's High Energy Astrophysics Picture of the Week. It's a Chandra image of a supernova remnant. While it's the best image (which makes me think it's a short observation) it's still pretty cool. Other good Chandra images of SNR's are Cas A (a source I worked on for a couple of years), The Crab, and Tycho's.
    Those are amazing images!!!! Thanks for sharing those!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

This week or is it next weeks Nature is having an article on new IR Spectroscopic method for detecting water in gas giants with close orbits to stars. Small preview in their podcast.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

38 years ago today....

....man walked on the moon!

C'mon, kiddies, are we so blasé about it that we don't even recognize the event? I thought this would have been mentioned sooner than this! What a shame!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

most of us weren't born when it happened, so it wouldn't be something we remember to remember, akin to JFK's assassination or pearl harbor. certain generations will remember it to the day they die, but those generations that didn't witness it first-hand have no frame of reference as to the importance of the event, and thus it doesn't stick in our minds. it's hard to believe right now, but there will eventually be a generation that doesn't even pause for a bit of reflection on september 11th. such is life.

and then, of course, there's those of us that remember it as the day they filmed people walking in the nevada desert with a high-speed camera.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post

C'mon, kiddies, are we so blasé about it that we don't even recognize the event? I thought this would have been mentioned sooner that this! What a shame!
    I had planned to wait until July 20th to do so. I even wrote a poem about this significant world event a few years back. I've always loved space and science, so this was one of the first important dates I ever memorized.

I recently saw a clear night sky (in Ohio) for the first time in perhaps a decade. Living in southern CA, that's about as rare as a Hollywood waiter who's NOT an actor.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I had planned to wait until July 20th to do so.
    um... today is july 20th.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Quote Originally Posted by darthvyn View Post
    um... today is july 20th.
    Um... so I did post about it; TeeEye7 just beat me to it. I guess that makes me like the USSR, then. :loser:
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by darthvyn View Post
    most of us weren't born when it happened, so it wouldn't be something we remember to remember, akin to JFK's assassination or pearl harbor. certain generations will remember it to the day they die, but those generations that didn't witness it first-hand have no frame of reference as to the importance of the event, and thus it doesn't stick in our minds. it's hard to believe right now, but there will eventually be a generation that doesn't even pause for a bit of reflection on september 11th. such is life.
    Point very well taken. Being an old f@rt around here, you lose sight of the time and experience factor sometimes that exists here. This was one of the most monumental events I've witnessed in my lifetime: akin to watching Columbus step on shore of the New World. It will always stick in my mind. Too bad others don't have the positive experience of the moon landing, but do have the unfortunate memories of 9/11. Well written, darthvyn.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Being an old f@rt around here, you lose sight of the time and experience factor sometimes that exists here. ... It will always stick in my mind. Too bad others don't have the positive experience of the moon landing, but do have the unfortunate memories of 9/11. Well written, darthvyn.
    I wasn't around then, but I still consider it a monumental occurence. But that comes from my love of space. I'm planning on reading the new Neil Armstrong biography soon.

C'mon, kiddies, are we so blasé about it that we don't even recognize the event? I thought this would have been mentioned sooner than this! What a shame!
    It was more monumental than most people can comprehend. I think that perhaps it has a bit to do with our entertainment of late, showing us distant worlds, albeit fictional, that manage to be flashier than our own boring orbiting ball of dust.

For myself, I was just a couple of months old so significant events in history wouldn't start to resonate with me for quite some time. Even now, it is difficult to recognize the most important events that will have historical significance until the dust has cleared, sometimes literally.

I even wonder sometimes that if we are ever blessed with visitors from another world, how our current culture would welcome them if they don't live up to our "exciting" expectations set up by popular media.