Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 172
  1. #51
    Not surprising that there is evidence of past volcanic activity on Mercury given the planet's proximity to the most massive object in the solar system. The sun's tidal forces probably keep Mercury's interior churning. Jupiter causes similar events on its moons, especially Io.

    ---

    Did you guys see the Martian rock that looks like a person with arms outstretched? The photo was taken by the NASA Spirit explorer and was widely reported on cable news channels last week.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

  2. #52
    I dunno why, but when I saw that image, it reminded me of this......( the Little Mermaid in Copenhagen harbor).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	little mermaid.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	16632  
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

  3. #53
    Simple one; when I wake in the morning, right as I open my front door I've seen the two planets next to each other, staring right back at me. I heard its Venus and Mercury, I think. Only a few more days left, before it's gone for several years!
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

  4. #54
    Yes! I've been greeted with that sight every morning, too, BCJ! It is indeed Mercury and Venus. Seems our little planet appears to be in some sort of alignment with them these days. When I look to the sky, I'm hoping to see a big, black monolith float into the alignment, too.....
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai View Post
    Did you guys see the Martian rock that looks like a person with arms outstretched? The photo was taken by the NASA Spirit explorer and was widely reported on cable news channels last week.
    I thought it was a funny picture 'cos it looked like the "figure" pushed another one off the rock and the other one was laying unconscious on the ground!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Simple one; when I wake in the morning, right as I open my front door I've seen the two planets next to each other, staring right back at me. I heard its Venus and Mercury, I think. Only a few more days left, before it's gone for several years!
    I think it's really romantic (and not in a lovey dovey kinda way) to look up at the sky and see these celestial bodies up there and think about the passing of time and how fortunate we are to see and appreciate these occurrences.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai View Post
    Not surprising that there is evidence of past volcanic activity on Mercury given the planet's proximity to the most massive object in the solar system. The sun's tidal forces probably keep Mercury's interior churning. Jupiter causes similar events on its moons, especially Io.
    Tidal forces really aren't at play with Mercury, at least as far as volcanism goes. Io is in the middle of three way tug-of-war between Jupiter, Europa, and Ganymede. Venus and the Earth (the closest bodies to Mercury) as simply too far away for such interaction. I think comparison to Ganymede is more fair. Mars, Venus, and the Moon all show evidence of past volcanism. I think anytime you have a liquid core in a rocky planetary body over a geological time scales you'll see volcanism. My guess is the minor planets will also show evidence of past volcanic activity.

    Now that's not to say at tidal forces aren't affecting Mercury. The planet has a global magnetic field. It's thought it's generated in a similar manner to the Earth's. Something must be keeping Mercury's core soft. Tidal interactions are the simplest explanation. If Venus were closer or more massive you might see a planet like Io. So the core is soft enough to keep the B-field, but not enough for active volcanoes. Like Ganymede.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

  7. #57
    i actually managed to see sky today. briefly. then the clouds covered it again.

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by MR. DADDYPANTS View Post
    i actually managed to see sky today. briefly. then the clouds covered it again.
    Life in the UK, then?
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

  9. #59

  10. #60
    You probably never see Diddley because he's too old to tour nowadays. The dude's 80 and recently had a stroke.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO