Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138 View Post
    I watched the ISS in transit the other night. A pretty cool sight!
    It is a cool sight! Twice, now, I've seen the ISS and Shuttle chasing/following it when it's brought new supplies and crew. Very cool! (Not to mention very fast, too!).
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    Though I heard recently they were having a communication malfunction.
    A communications malfunction can only mean one thing: Martian invasion.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    It is a cool sight! Twice, now, I've seen the ISS and Shuttle chasing/following it when it's brought new supplies and crew. Very cool! (Not to mention very fast, too!).
    I saw it Sunday night, and Monday was supposed to be even brighter due to the shuttle being docked. But, go figure, it was cloudy the next few nights.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Space Shuttle Alert!

For my fellow SoCal-ers:

The Space Shuttle will be visible tonight, traveling from the north to the southeast around 8:20pm to 8:25pm, plus or minus. It will be about 36 degrees above the horizon. I would recommend going out about 10 minutes earlier than that to get your eyeballs acclimated to the dusk.

I live about 100 miles north of LA....so from JT to Tycho....the rest of SoCal should be able to see it, too. Just look for the bright, fast-moving "star" in the sky!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    For my fellow SoCal-ers:

The Space Shuttle will be visible tonight, traveling from the north to the southeast around 8:20pm to 8:25pm, plus or minus. It will be about 36 degrees above the horizon. I would recommend going out about 10 minutes earlier than that to get your eyeballs acclimated to the dusk.

I live about 100 miles north of LA....so from JT to Tycho....the rest of SoCal should be able to see it, too. Just look for the bright, fast-moving "star" in the sky!
    Do we get a refund for the plague of light pollution 'round here? I'll try and remember it; I will be outdoors as a human guard/ticket taker at my HS's graduation ceremony at the school football stadium, and it should still going on by then.

Again for our menagerie of So Cal-ers:

The Shuttle will again be visible in the southwestern skies this time, from 8:43pm to 8:49pm tonight (June 10) in my area; and depending on atmospheric conditions in your area.

Well.....even though they're really bad, here's some shaky, blurry clicks of the International Space Station and Space Shuttle (the thin little squiggly line) with the moon (the fat blob) as a bonus as it went by last night over my little town.

It's a hand-held effort, and a tripod would have done little, too. Anyway, it's always cool to see my tax dollar whizzing overhead at 17,500 miles per hour!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0006 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	17516   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0010 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	17517  

Sorry. In my duties as ticket taker/ripper in half, I forgot to look up, as I was dealing with such gems as those below:

"What do you mean I can't get on the field?"
    "This is f***ing stupid."
    "I came all the way from [some far away location] and I can't get in without a ticket?"
    "Can't you let me in?"
    "I just want to take a picture."
    "This is bulls***."
    "If I offer you 20 cents, would you open the gate?" [this was an actual question to me, but was in jest]
    "No, those are south side tickets; this is the north side."
    "Any extra tickets?"

I'll try to remember to head outside tonight, tonight.

Unfortunately, it's trajectory won't take it over our area tonight.

Re: graduation.....your clientèle sounded like prime subjects for Force Lightning!

All I did yesterday was confuse my neighbors by looking up at the sky over an hour or so. And enjoy the coolness of a day that was hot and an evening that was quite comfortable. Thanks for feeding me false science/technology information, TI, and allowing me to relax and enjoy nature instead.

And, no, I think the "can have an effect on the weakminded" line is better than Force lightning. In polite manners, I did the "move along, move along" thing (wait, does that make me the weak one? ) throughout the line.