Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

UPS, this is Mike how may I help you?

That has been the greeting I've given for the last few years working at UPS. But I only have the oppertunity to say it a few more times since I'm 'retiring' on Friday. For the last 4 months I've been double dipping with another job and after all this time I'm at the point where I can't keep on going doing what I'm currently doing.

I've gotten shafted there far too many times yet I kept sticking around but finally enough is enough and I'm leaving. It would be 7 years in July and 9 years in November if you count my time as a temp, so I more or less worked at UPS during the span of my 20's. Because of the time I've already put into UPS and my age (will be 30 in August) I came to the decision that I need to s**t or get off the pot with them, if I stick around much longer then I might as well go to at least 25 years which when I thought about that I just couldn't see or want myself doing.

I've already said a few good buys and they have been a bit tough, I'm not sure how I'm going to react when I walk out that building for the last time on Friday. Certainly joy and the feeling of a weight being lifted but also sadness
    because I won't be working with some really great people whom I've gotten to know over the years. The last job I left I actually got emotional and shed a tear or two, not because of the job itself but rather the people I will miss, there are also some people that I really want to tell them where they can go!

People ask me what I'm going to do with my nights now that they are free and for the most part I have no clue. I have a few ideas floating around but all in all I think I'm just going to enjoy life for a bit.

Has anybody else gone though this sort of thing in the work history?

Yeah I have. I worked in Loss Prevention over the course of ten years. Through those years it was with the same people. We all went from one compaany to another. When I left NYC and moved to Va, I had to leave them behind. It was rough. Its kind of feels like a friend dying or something, part of a life you are leaving behind to move on. The one thing you remember is the fun times you had, and no one can take it away. The one thing you need to remember is you are leaving to better yourself.(I hope). Good luck JJB in your endevours and just remember, old friends are only a phone call away.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I recently quit my job. Id only worked there for almost a year, but i felt bad leaving the place. Not so much the actual work, because that sucked beyond imagination, but because i wouldnt be seeing my coworkers as often as i used to. But it was something i felt i needed to do, as i graduated back in January from college and was working in a butt hole job that defeated the whole purpose of me going to college. You wouldnt believe how much happier i am though, the job was stressing me out.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

When I saw this thread's title, I thought it'd be about automated voices with names. Huh? Wha-?!?
    I recently ordered some baseball tickets online, and "Maurie" / "Maureen" / "Maudie" was SO helpful in completing my order.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
    Has anybody else gone though this sort of thing in the work history?
    The events of January 28th, 1998 are the reason why I no longer work at a hotel and am now a teacher, even though I didn't leave the hotel until September of that year.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    The events of January 28th, 1998 are the reason why I no longer work at a hotel and am now a teacher, even though I didn't leave the hotel until September of that year.
    No need to verbalize those chilling events of that fateful day BSJ, youtube has hosted video footage of what you experienced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG5X8...elated&search=
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

I recently quit a part time job at the Y.M.C.A. as a fitness room attendant. After 13 + years I finally had enough with adding more and more responsibility's, and only about a a $2.50 raise total over those 13 years. I make more at Wal-Mart then I did there. Plus the only benefit was a free membership. I never got the chance to use that during the last 5 years because I worked 72 hours a week between 3 jobs, and mostly during the hours they were open. I thought I would be sad when I left, but insteadI felt a great burden lifted. I now have two more evenings to get stuff done, see my son,walk with my girlfriend, and rest.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

I worked at a video store in my teens, and after I quit I called in and one of the jerks I worked with answered the phone in my name!!! What a tool! So even though you'll be leaving, someone will find a way to blame their troubles on you.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If I call and you say that can I say "eat me Mike"? *joking*

Quote Originally Posted by Kidhuman View Post
    The one thing you need to remember is you are leaving to better yourself.(I hope). Good luck JJB in your endevours and just remember, old friends are only a phone call away.
    Ohh yeah I am, its better hours, better pay, better potential and I'm getting away from the UPS bs, thats not to say my other employer is bs free rather I haven't gotten to the point of being sick of it.