Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No free public viewings of SW?

So, up here in Duluth we have a park down by Lake Superior where a local radio station puts on a great event every Friday night during the summer. Its called Movies in the Park and they show a predetermined movie on a 20'x40' inflatable screen. More can be seen here:

http://www.957thebridge.com/shared/W...nt.asp?id=3986

Its a really fun thing, last week I saw Indy and the Last Crusade. There is a pretty good turnout an d this time around they had open voting polls online. Imagine my surprise when I saw ANH on the list. Needless to say I voted quite a few times, and SW ended up on the final play list. It was supposed to show tonight, but last night they announced that there were certain "restictions by the producers" and that they were unable to show it.

My question is, did someone, somehow, associated with LFL see advertisement for this somewhere and said no way are you showing this to 250+ people without some $$$? That sounds pretty far fetched to me but I cant figure out why they cant show it. I thought maybe the rating, but come on, they are showing Jaws in a few weeks......

Im really bummed, they hyped it up a bunch by showing trailers from '77. At least I got to see that little bit...
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo
    Top Shelf Traders - tjovonovich, Val Da Car

That sucks. What you should do is call the radio station and invite the people to your house and show it on your TV, but only after they buy pizzas from your store
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

No doubt huh? Im pretty bummed, I should just have free pizza too.

Thanks George, ya big jerk.
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    What are they going to show instead?
    Didn't you read the link? They're showing "To Be Announced", a coming-of-age teen comedy set in Wisconsin starring Jason Biggs, Joshua Jackson, that guy who played Booger and Brain from "Inspector Gadget".
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

I'm surprised they do this at all, especially in the current anti-piracy climate. Public performance or exhibition of nearly all TV and film properties is verboten under federal copyright law.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    What are they going to show instead?
    ....*sigh*.......Harry Potter........

I have always wondered if they had to / did get consent to play these. Leave it to LFL....
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo

I suspect it's either 1 of 2 things:
    A) Lucasfilm had issues with the quality of the projection, they have quality standards requirements I hear;
    -or-
    B) Lucasfilm gave the OK but since Fox owns ANH, they rescinded for some undisclosed reason.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Fox owns ANH? Never knew that. Just ANH or others as well?
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo